How do you feel about character deaths?

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 01, 2019, 02:38 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Aug 08, 2019, 12:03 AM Last Edit: Aug 08, 2019, 12:05 AM by Legend
I dislike them mostly because they are done poorly.

Major game of thrones spoilers showing when they are done good.

Spoiler for Game of Thrones:
<br>Red Wedding<br><div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px"><div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px"><b>Spoiler</b> for <i>Hidden</i>: <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:60px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.value = 'Show'; }"></div><div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"><div style="display: none;"><br>One of the greatest moments in television history.<br><br>It wasn&#39;t just that the &quot;good guys&quot; lost, but that the experience was rewarding to watch. I rewatched the episode recently and one of the things I picked up on was that they played with the viewer&#39;s emotions and expectations. Initially it looked like a horrible event where &quot;just&quot; an unborn baby was killed. There was a huge amount of shock in the scene, but everything telegraphed that there was a way out, an escape.<br><br>Then right as the show starts implementing this escape, it fails and everyone dies.<br><br>It&#39;s so good imo because the show teases something crazy and then follows through with it.<br></div></div></div><br><br>

An example of a bad death imo would be almost anything in the recent Marvel movies. Death with consequences can be a really really powerful tool. Death without them just feels cheap.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Gamora, Black Widow, Thanos, Loki, Nebula and everyone snapped for example. Their deaths are used in the moment but are mostly irrelevant long term. Fine for setting up things but poor imo when viewed in isolation.

Another good death I liked was from the Amazing Spiderman 2.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Gwen Stacy had such a great death. Similar to my got example, the scene tricked viewers into thinking it&#39;d be ok. Then the movie really focused on just how suck her death was.<br>

Another meh death was from Logan.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Both the deaths felt forced, as in the movie decided they should be dead by the end. <br>