Insider batting averages!

Started by Legend, Dec 05, 2015, 08:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

"Reddit"

PSVR $299 solo and ~$430 for bundle including move+camera+game.

Reddit Rumor: PSVR price to be $428 (bundle) and $299 (standalone) - NeoGAF

This was published on some sites today, but nobody made a thread:https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation...obably_sell_a/
rumors they were hoping to price the HMD at $299, which won't include the camera or PlayStation move controllers. But that they would probably have a separate starter kit where you could get the camera and move controllers and a game for around $129. For $428 + tax for the complete PSVR + camera + move controllers, would be a bargain!

My comment: This is pretty much what I expect them to do.
 Lock if too rumory :P

DerNebel

"Reddit"

PSVR $299 solo and ~$430 for bundle including move+camera+game.

Reddit Rumor: PSVR price to be $428 (bundle) and $299 (standalone) - NeoGAF
My comment: This is pretty much what I expect them to do.
 Lock if too rumory :P

Don't believe that for a second actually. I can't see PSVR being $300.

Legend

Don't believe that for a second actually. I can't see PSVR being $300.
If Sony could make Vita $250 4 years ago, they can make PSVR $300 today  ::)

the-pi-guy

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Reddit Rumor: PSVR price to be $428 (bundle) and $299 (standalone)

The other thing the Sony rep mentioned is that they were apparently hoping to support the first gen PSVR on the PS5, which should run it even better.

Sorry friend, but jobbers in the company don't know what's going on with the next platform.

DerNebel

If Sony could make Vita $250 4 years ago, they can make PSVR $300 today  ::)
Eh, I don't think that's the best comparison. People expect handhelds to be rather affordable and with Nintendo as their direct competitor they were pretty much forced to go with that trend.

All gaming VR headsets aside from Sonys are definitely going to have a much larger cost of entry than $300, the Occulus is $600 and from what I've heard people are expecting the Vive to be even more expensive. I don't know how much money Sony would lose per headset if they sold them for $300, but I'd imagine it being a sum that's simply not worth it, when they'll even have the clear price advantage at $450 or so.

That being said, I must say that $300 bucks for the standalone headset would definitely take a lot of the wind out of the broader commercial potential of the Vive and Occulus as the price differential would be just too big. It would also give VR a chance to hit the mainstream a lot faster though, which is why I'm sceptical, since Sony said they'd be happy with something like 1.5 million PSVRs being sold in 2016, at $300 I'd expect the PSVR to be able to sell up to 5 million in 2016 if it actually releases in the summer and the software support isn't totally horrible.

I guess we'll find out more at GDC, it'll be interesting.

Legend

Eh, I don't think that's the best comparison. People expect handhelds to be rather affordable and with Nintendo as their direct competitor they were pretty much forced to go with that trend.

All gaming VR headsets aside from Sonys are definitely going to have a much larger cost of entry than $300, the Occulus is $600 and from what I've heard people are expecting the Vive to be even more expensive. I don't know how much money Sony would lose per headset if they sold them for $300, but I'd imagine it being a sum that's simply not worth it, when they'll even have the clear price advantage at $450 or so.

That being said, I must say that $300 bucks for the standalone headset would definitely take a lot of the wind out of the broader commercial potential of the Vive and Occulus as the price differential would be just too big. It would also give VR a chance to hit the mainstream a lot faster though, which is why I'm sceptical, since Sony said they'd be happy with something like 1.5 million PSVRs being sold in 2016, at $300 I'd expect the PSVR to be able to sell up to 5 million in 2016 if it actually releases in the summer and the software support isn't totally horrible.

I guess we'll find out more at GDC, it'll be interesting.
Vita's an important comparison because its specs were crazy at release. OLED was super expensive at the time, processing power was far beyond everything else, and before the age of cheap smartphones. At the time I remember most educated price predictions were $400. The $250 reveal is a great reminder that Sony can price PSVR low even if it has cutting edge tech.

In the general sense PSVR seems fairly inexpensive to make. OLED+breakout box+optics+plastic. If they used off the shelf components when possible it could cost $199 and still make a profit. Reason OR and Vive are so expensive is because they're using highly customized parts and didn't design these things to be cheap. OR invented their own fabric type for pete's sake!

the-pi-guy

Vita's an important comparison because its specs were crazy at release. OLED was super expensive at the time, processing power was far beyond everything else, and before the age of cheap smartphones. At the time I remember most educated price predictions were $400. The $250 reveal is a great reminder that Sony can price PSVR low even if it has cutting edge tech.

In the general sense PSVR seems fairly inexpensive to make. OLED+breakout box+optics+plastic. If they used off the shelf components when possible it could cost $199 and still make a profit. Reason OR and Vive are so expensive is because they're using highly customized parts and didn't design these things to be cheap. OR invented their own fabric type for pete's sake!

You give me hope for a 199$ price point.

This is the America I want to live in.  

Aura7541

People will go absolutely bonkers if PSVR costs $199 :o

Legend

People will go absolutely bonkers if PSVR costs $199 :o
It's not going to be $199.

Sony is using a custom screen and custom lenses.

Mmm_fish_tacos

To be fair, everything is custom. Custom OLED display with custom pixel placement, RBG sub pixels and 120 hz refresh rate. In many ways this screen is actually better than the two found in the rift.  Optics are just plain expensive. Also custom as they can't just pull optics from their camera line as these are much larger.  Even the strap is more advanced than what in in the rift.  The only thing they could have pulled from the self would have been the parts in the break out box, but somehow I doubt they aren't custom is some way.

From what I can tell Oculus on has two advantages, The ability to use two cameras and 2 higher resolution screens. Two screen could be an advantage but I doubt it's really worth the extra cost. The total package isn't more advanced that PSVR. They just seem that way with their fancy textures and design, Which i do find superior to psvr.

I'm kind of talking about two things at the same time, but I'm too lazy right now to fix it.

the-pi-guy

It's not going to be $199.

Sony is using a custom screen and custom lenses.
He created the dream.  

Then,

then he killed it.  

I'm still expecting (hoping) 299$ even if the rumor is 100% BS.  

Legend

Rumor: Forza 6 and Forza Horizon 3 coming to Windows 10

Forza 6 on Windows 10
Forza Horizons 3 on Windows 10
Gears 4 on Windows 10
Scalebound on Windows 10

darkknightkryta

Rumor: Forza 6 and Forza Horizon 3 coming to Windows 10

Forza 6 on Windows 10
Forza Horizons 3 on Windows 10
Gears 4 on Windows 10
Scalebound on Windows 10
Windows 10, on Windows 10.

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Lots of new rumors to add and others to update.

Kotaku reporting a PS4k to be released probably within 2016. It will be able to play games in 4k and play VR games with upgraded graphics. Rumor: Ps4k

ZhugeEX has also heard these rumors, although he's heard the device cannot do 4k and upgrades are only avaliable for VR: Rumor: Ps4k

Reddit user Idriss2Dev has leaked an image of supposedly the NX. The design is based off an already known about pattent: Codename (NX) : NintendoNX and gaf

PSVR has an official price of $399 standalone and $499 with camera+move. That makes DemonNite right and Reddit Sirdomino wrong. Also Forza 6 and FH3 on Windows 10 are right.

Go Up