The Forum RPG is released for play testing

Started by Legend, Jan 05, 2016, 07:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

And with shops, I set up a cool (imo) system with prices.

Shops will naturally raise and lower prices as the persistent world evolves and changes. IE items with low inventory will usually be priced a bit higher than average.

However it'd be really lame for a player to load the shop only for the prices to be outdated within seconds. Thus all prices are honored for 10 minutes after loading. Refreshing or changing the page updates the prices and stock, but just clicking 'BUY NOW' does not. IE player loads the shop, player sees bread for $10, shop owner raises price to $20, player still thinks it's $10, player buys bread and shop honors the original $10 price. However if the current price is lower than when the page is loaded, then the player gets the updated price.

Legend

Jan 11, 2016, 03:44 AM Last Edit: Jan 11, 2016, 05:43 AM by Legend
Glad I could help.
What is a gravedigger? A shovel?

Also inventory and items are good to go, more or less. Added to the dev portal. Also added a dev note field. Also you can now edit shops, and create new shops+items+NPC types.

Xbro

What is a gravedigger? A shovel?

Also inventory and items are good to go, more or less. Added to the dev portal. Also added a dev note field. Also you can now edit shops, and create new shops+items+NPC types.
Should probably change that to mortuary host or something.
3 people like this

Legend

Should probably change that to mortuary host or something.
Haha I love that. Definitely need to turn it into an item/NPC too.

"If you are killed in battle, your mortuary host will give you a respectful send off and bury your body."

Lore wise maybe every human player has dark magic causing them to respawn once killed?

Also dev wise the rpg core is practically finished. We have locations with travel, and we have shops unique to each location. Let's refine (both mechanically and world buildingly) what we have before we move on to quests, combat, and talking.

Xbro

I actually had to look at the location of the deathly intersection to see what to do with it.
3 people like this

Legend

I actually had to look at the location of the deathly intersection to see what to do with it.
?

Click on any nearby city and a 'travel to' option will pop up. Then after X posts, your character will be in that city.

Xbro

?

Click on any nearby city and a 'travel to' option will pop up. Then after X posts, your character will be in that city.
I meant the fact that it isn't actually a crossroad, but the end of the road.
3 people like this

Legend

I meant the fact that it isn't actually a crossroad, but the end of the road.
Haha yeah I thought that was amusing.

However your comment quickly caused me to add debug tools to the dev portal haha. Now you can teleport to locations.

Also I've added a lot more options to Shops and stuff, so now you can set up their stocking habits.

Legend

Started working on inventory/loadout. My profile is the only one with items set up, so you can see what I'm going for here: RPG Player

Also I'm not sure if @the-Pi-guy  started working on lore or not, but while working on the map and items I've come up with a few ideas.

I absolutely love post apocalyptic settings, yet I hate how overused they've recently become. So what if we flip it around a bit? Game takes place on an alternative version of Earth, where aliens visited around 500 BC. These aliens were strong and technologically advanced, yet opted to use humans as a slave source. Their reign was cruel and long.

Around 300 AD, the aliens disappeared during the dead of night. Game takes place circa 1600 AD where their lost cities are nothing but ruins from another time. Society has moved on, humanity has healed. Most are still scared of the relics and the thought of the aliens returning one day, with these fears replacing religion and folklore in their communities. Some people have succeeded in using the remnants of alien tech, yet their understanding is like that of a baby with a smart phone. It's evolved into essentially magic, spells and all.

End result is ~900 AD technology and culture, magic, ancient metal ruins, and a whole lot of room to grow.

the-pi-guy

Haven't done much.  :(
Feel unmotivated the past few days.

Legend

Haven't done much.  :(
Feel unmotivated the past few days.
That's ok, but get motivated!

Most of us have talked a lot about creating a video game together, so let's count this as the first one ;D  Our past games have failed to gain traction but I'll just keeping working till others join in. This time our group game is actually happening!!!

the-pi-guy

Xbro

There needs to be a way to mug someone on the road. And an item that allows fast travel.
3 people like this

Legend

There needs to be a way to mug someone on the road. And an item that allows fast travel.
Already if you pass a person on a road, they'll show up just like they do in cities. We just need to figure out and implement player to player interactions(combat system, dialogue, etc.)

Feel free to tell me this is stupid, but I think we should have 'faster travel' but no instant travel. Eventually all path difficulties would be unique and player specs would affect travel time. IE a player with light armor and a horse could make the trip in a single post, while a player on foot burdened with heavy armor might take 20 posts. I'm inspired by Elite Dangerous in this regard. In that game it's fun having distance be meaningful.

Since you're here and in the mood to give input, what are your thoughts on item management?

I'm thinking of a in between of Bethesda MMOs and Resident Evil/Deus Ex. All items are physical and need a place to go: either on your character's body or in a bag you're carrying. Every bag, belt, pocket, chest, strap, backpack, cart, etc. has a weight limit it can hold and also a max size it can hold.

So say a pocket's weight limit is 10 pounds and its max size is 5 inches by 6 inches by 10 inches. It can fit a small ring in there, but a sword can't fit regardless of how light it is. As long as the item's size is smaller than the max size, then storage is purely weight based exactly like Bethesda.

the-pi-guy

I absolutely love post apocalyptic settings, yet I hate how overused they've recently become. So what if we flip it around a bit? Game takes place on an alternative version of Earth, where aliens visited around 500 BC. These aliens were strong and technologically advanced, yet opted to use humans as a slave source. Their reign was cruel and long.

Around 300 AD, the aliens disappeared during the dead of night. Game takes place circa 1600 AD where their lost cities are nothing but ruins from another time. Society has moved on, humanity has healed. Most are still scared of the relics and the thought of the aliens returning one day, with these fears replacing religion and folklore in their communities. Some people have succeeded in using the remnants of alien tech, yet their understanding is like that of a baby with a smart phone. It's evolved into essentially magic, spells and all.
I love it!  I'm not sure how we should do lore.  Story book style, random old guy telling the story style, something else style?  

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>It was ages ago, when they visited from the sky. &nbsp;They made slaves of men, and began the dark era. &nbsp;<br>Centuries gone past, generations dead; the visitors mysteriously left. &nbsp;<br>Their memories are all around us. &nbsp;The ruins still stand, long after the owners left. &nbsp;<br><br>Many still fear the memories of those long gone, fear of return. &nbsp;<br>

Do we want the deathly intersection to stay a joke?  

We could have a thing out of it.
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>There are many stories of the deathly intersection. &nbsp;<br>Some old folk claim that there was an intersection made of gold, that many have spent their lives looking for. &nbsp;<br>

*shrugs*

Go Up