Your games/development pet peeves

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 31, 2020, 01:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I'm sure someone here has a million.  

I think my most common pet peeve is people using random examples of performance to say something definitive about a system.  
For example:
Battlefield 3.6 is only 900p on PS4, therefore PS4 does not support 1080p.
Halo 3.5 is 1080p on Xbox One, these two facts lead me to the truth that Xbox One is more powerful as it's the only console capable of pulling of 1080p in games.  

I see this kind of thinking so much.  The average person does not know that there are a billion things that affect performance from hardware to developer choice.  Even on enthusiast forums like Era, this kind of discussion still comes up.

kitler53

i hate gameplay mechanisms that are inconsistently implemented.  

for instance in the lego ninjago you press x to jump and x again to double jump. the double jump is a critical piece of gameplay used in both the platforming and combat sections.  however, in a ton of locations they disable the double jump as a way to prevent you from reaching hidden areas they want locked behind some other ability.  ...a fact you don't figure out until you are half way over a pit and find out and have nothing you can to to prevent falling to your death. 

it lame and unfair. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

People being sucky and always proclaiming selfish actions as universally good. Are game leaks bad for companies? No way, they are actually good and on purpose most of the time! Is piracy bad for companies? No way, it actually increases sales because of good "word of mouth!" Are there pros and cons to different approaches? No way, other companies are actually anti-consumer for not doing things the same way!

Kitler style faux gameplay has also been growing as a bigger and bigger pet peeve of mine. I want to feel like I have agency over my character at all times. If a game is super linear and only has one way to do things, it shouldn't send mixed messages on what is possible.

the-pi-guy

People being sucky and always proclaiming selfish actions as universally good. Are game leaks bad for companies? No way, they are actually good and on purpose most of the time! Is piracy bad for companies? No way, it actually increases sales because of good "word of mouth!" Are there pros and cons to different approaches? No way, other companies are actually anti-consumer for not doing things the same way!
Yeah this is a big one

kitler53

Oct 31, 2020, 09:22 PM Last Edit: Nov 01, 2020, 05:42 PM by kitler53
i'm not sure if you'll be able to see this photo.  it's my pumpkin for this year.   didn't turn out great but it turned out pretty good.
See attachment...

in case it isn't obvious,.. this is what i was going for:

Legend

Try uploading your pic to imgur.com

Not visible for me.

kitler53

Try uploading your pic to imgur.com

Not visible for me.
maybe i'll try that.  i had a photo bucket for this sort of thing but they changed and now i have to pay to do that so fudge that.  not worth $5 a month to be able to show you guys a personal image 3 times a year. 

what do you think about adding image upload to this site?   i swear i won't abuse that privilege.  

also that prior post was clearly supposed to be in the halloween thread.   oops. 

Legend

maybe i'll try that.  i had a photo bucket for this sort of thing but they changed and now i have to pay to do that so fudge that.  not worth $5 a month to be able to show you guys a personal image 3 times a year.

what do you think about adding image upload to this site?   i swear i won't abuse that privilege.  

also that prior post was clearly supposed to be in the halloween thread.   oops.
You can upload images here but it's limited in size. Server only has 30gb.

kitler53

You can upload images here but it's limited in size. Server only has 30gb.

i can't figure out how you did that.

Legend

i can't figure out how you did that.
Full replay (click reply or click preview). Attachments and other options.

kitler53

Full replay (click reply or click preview). Attachments and other options.
got it.  updated my original post with the picture uploaded this time.   now everyone can critisze my pumpking carving skills!

Legend

got it.  updated my original post with the picture uploaded this time.   now everyone can critisze my pumpking carving skills!

Hey that looks pretty good!

I always do very simple faces.

kitler53

Hey that looks pretty good!

I always do very simple faces.

thanks.  

it took a long time but i always wanted to try the technique in which you don't' just cut but also cut off the skin for a 3-toned face.  it was quite a lot of work and even with ~1/2 inch deep cut and my super bright camping lantern in place the amount of light that shown through was kind of disappointing.  it made a much bigger mess too.  not sure i'd do it again next year but it was kind of fun for this year.