PlayStation laying off 900 employees, closing London Studio

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 27, 2024, 02:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Horizon

I wonder if certain studios like Firewalk, Sucker Punch, Asobi and Santa Monica were spared because they have games coming out soon (as in before 2025).

nnodley

I wonder if certain studios like Firewalk, Sucker Punch, Asobi and Santa Monica were spared because they have games coming out soon (as in before 2025).
wasn't this mostly contained to the UK portion of PS Studios?

the-pi-guy

wasn't this mostly contained to the UK portion of PS Studios?
No, sorry.

I posted the UK part, because there was more information.

>For those of you in the US, all impacted employees will be notified today.  
>In Japan, we will implement a next career support program. Details will be communicated separately.  

Today, Sony Interactive Entertainment initiated a reduction in our workforce - including within PlayStation Studios - and I wanted to talk about the impact that will have.

These decisions have been extremely difficult, but they are necessary, and I think it's important to be transparent:

The US based studios and groups impacted by a reduction in workforce are:

Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, as well as our Technology, Creative, and Support teams

In UK and European based studios, it is proposed:

That PlayStation Studios' London Studio will close in its entirety;
That there will be reductions in Guerrilla and Firesprite
These are in addition to some smaller reductions in other teams across PlayStation Studios.

Our goal at PlayStation Studios has always been to make the best games for PlayStation fans, and our global community of studios represent some of the most creative and talented teams within the gaming industry.

PlayStation 5 is in its fourth year, and we are at a stage where we need to step back and look at what our business needs.

At the same time, our industry has experienced continuing and fundamental change which affects how we all create, and play, games.

Delivering the immersive, narrative-driven stories that PlayStation Studios is known for, at the quality bar that we aspire to, requires a re-evaluation of how we operate.

Delivering and sustaining social, online experiences - allowing PlayStation gamers to explore our worlds in different ways - as well as launching games on additional devices such as PC and Mobile, requires a different approach and different resources.

To take on these challenges, PlayStation Studios had to grow. We have brought brilliant and successful Studios into our family. We have invested in new technology and partnerships. We have recruited talent from across our industry and beyond.

But growth itself is not an ambition. PlayStation Studios is committed to continually discovering ways to work together; collaborating and combining our efforts to ensure that we are able to craft games that push the boundaries of play and deliver what you expect from us.

We looked at our studios and our portfolio, evaluating projects in various stages of development, and have decided that some of those projects will not move forward.

I want to be clear that the decision to stop work on these projects is not a reflection on the talent or passion of team members.

Our philosophy has always been to allow creative experimentation. Sometimes, great ideas don't become great games. Sometimes, a project is started with the best intentions before shifts within the market or industry result in a change of plan.

I am deeply saddened to see talented individuals leave the company. I have so much admiration, appreciation and respect for their work.

PlayStation Studios will continue to be a creator-led organization driven by evolving our beloved franchises and bringing new gameplay experiences of the highest quality to our fans.

Thank you all for your continued support.

nnodley

well shame.  Its not surprising I guess.  PS Studios output has been quite tragic even though a lot of games they've put out have done extremely well

kitler53

i'd be more upset about this if this wasn't like the 12th round of layoffs industry wide.   not that "everyone else is doing it" makes things right but it does make it less surprising.   after sony's last financials i think this was more than obviously going to happen.  i expect we'll see a lot more short term thinking with respect to day-1 PC releases and maybe even publishing on xbox.   

...i loath how corporate priorities are all short term and treat their employees like shame.      but it is how all of them operate.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Horizon

I wonder how much Bungie has caused this. They cost £3bn and now have 1000+ employees on the books when they're probably not bringing in much moneyl.

nnodley

EA is laying off 670

nnodley

EA to Lay Off Around 670 Workers, Sunsetting Games, 'Moving Away From Future Licensed IP'
EA to Lay Off Around 670 Workers, Sunsetting Games, 'Moving Away From Future Licensed IP' - IGN

Legend

Respawn star wars fps, no!!!

kitler53

ill say this,.. the silver lining to all this is less licensed IP in video games.    

I'm sooo fudgy tired of marvel, DC, and star wars.   I think the success of shows like the last of us and the witcher and the nintendo movie show there is much more to be gained by original IP than buying expensive licence fees that do more to limit game creativity than sell software. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

ill say this,.. the silver lining to all this is less licensed IP in video games.    

I'm sooo fudgy tired of marvel, DC, and star wars.   I think the success of shows like the last of us and the witcher and the nintendo movie show there is much more to be gained by original IP than buying expensive licence fees that do more to limit game creativity than sell software.
Ditto. It has gotten way worse as of late, but game movies might finally turn things around.

Go Up