State of Play: The Last of Us Part II on Wednesday

Started by the-pi-guy, May 25, 2020, 07:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/05/25/state-of-play-get-a-preview-of-the-last-of-us-part-ii-wednesday/
Hi all - we're putting the finishing touches on a new episode of State of Play that will air this Wednesday, May 27 at 1:00pm Pacific Time / 4:00pm Eastern Time on Twitch and YouTube.
The current cut is clocking in a little more than 20 minutes, ending with an extended sequence showing off about eight minutes of never-before-seen gameplay.
And no, there won't be any PS5 news or updates in this episode, just a deep dive into the world of The Last of Us Part II.

Legend

Cool.

I will not watch this, but I love this format.

the-pi-guy

Cool.

I will not watch this, but I love this format.
Skipping it too.

I imagine this is what they must have meant by smaller events.

nnodley

yep only seen the first trailer/gameplay and thats it.  Gotta stay blind for this

the-pi-guy

I think it's kind of weird that TLoU is getting this after GoT.  

Legend

I think it's kind of weird that TLoU is getting this after GoT.  

You think TLOU should have gone first?

the-pi-guy

You think TLOU should have gone first?
GoT has had less showings so it makes sense why a big showing was needed.  TLoU doesn't really have that deficit and it's also an established game.  

And considering TLoU comes out first, I have to wonder if this was the plan all along.  
Did Naughty Dog just take more time to finish their showing?  Was that just the schedule the whole time?  

Legend

GoT has had less showings so it makes sense why a big showing was needed.  TLoU doesn't really have that deficit and it's also an established game.  

And considering TLoU comes out first, I have to wonder if this was the plan all along.  
Did Naughty Dog just take more time to finish their showing?  Was that just the schedule the whole time?  
Also going with your other post.

I guess one benefit/drawback of a digital event is how easy the date can be changed.  
This does seem poorly scheduled.

At the very least it should be at a different time. A historic rocket launch is literally set to happen during the same hour and that has been scheduled for months. If the launch happens today, there is no way that TLOU2 will be the top news story on the internet.

Xevross

Also going with your other post.

This does seem poorly scheduled.

At the very least it should be at a different time. A historic rocket launch is literally set to happen during the same hour and that has been scheduled for months. If the launch happens today, there is no way that TLOU2 will be the top news story on the internet.
Was about to say the rocket thing may just be America but I see it on the front page of BBC UK also. Well it'll top the gaming news at least.

I agree its really weird, I guess Sony knows everyone's just going to buy it anyway and they don't have to stress the details, just put the videos and gamplay out there and it'll sell itself. Probably applies to both games, Ghost has a lot of hype.

Legend

Was about to say the rocket thing may just be America but I see it on the front page of BBC UK also. Well it'll top the gaming news at least.

I agree its really weird, I guess Sony knows everyone's just going to buy it anyway and they don't have to stress the details, just put the videos and gamplay out there and it'll sell itself. Probably applies to both games, Ghost has a lot of hype.
Going with your point, why does TLOU2 need a state of play at all?

It already had a really cool gameplay demo and it doesn't seem like going over the gameplay systems is necessary.

Xevross

Going with your point, why does TLOU2 need a state of play at all?

It already had a really cool gameplay demo and it doesn't seem like going over the gameplay systems is necessary.
I guess its been a while since new gameplay was shown and the game still needs advertising. I was meaning the actual date and details of the SOP probably don't matter at all, but a SOP within 2 months of launch is probably still very helpful for sales.

Legend

I guess its been a while since new gameplay was shown and the game still needs advertising. I was meaning the actual date and details of the SOP probably don't matter at all, but a SOP within 2 months of launch is probably still very helpful for sales.
Doesn't the game launch in 3 weeks? 20 minutes just seems like so much time to fill.

Xevross

Doesn't the game launch in 3 weeks? 20 minutes just seems like so much time to fill.
Yep. Well I'm sure ND know exactly what they want show and have planned it well.

the-pi-guy

I'm kind of wondering if they had a gameplay trailer planned, and changed it to a full state of play after seeing Ghost of Tsushima's.  

Legend

I'm kind of wondering if they had a gameplay trailer planned, and changed it to a full state of play after seeing Ghost of Tsushima's.  
So who volunteers to watch this thing to see if that's the case?  :P

This close to launch I guess that's possible. The full game is finished so it wouldn't take as much time to change what is shown.