A Mutually Beneficial Arrangement for MS / PlayStation / Gamepass?

Started by kitler53, Mar 11, 2021, 10:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

okay, by now you better of seen this thread:
https://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=8644.msg264503#new

it's clear to me that MS would be willing to put their games on playstation if and only if sony allows gamepass on playstation.   so is there a fair deal to be struck?  here is my suggested terms:

1. sony allows gamepass on playstation
  1a. download games to HDD
  1b. xcloud streaming
2. while paying for gamepass via psn is not a requirement,.. sony collects 30% of the $ for those that choose to pay for it via psn funds
3. MS releases all their games on playstation as a stand-alone release as well for individual purchase.  standard 30% cut is applied.
4. Sony builds into their OS some reasonable about of QoL features for gamepass users to find, download, and promote gamepass games similar to what MS did in xbox.

is that a mutually beneficial arrangement?    

i argue yes.   if gamepass launched on playstation but playstation games did not come to gamepass xbox as a hardware would be dead and playstation hardware would be defacto for console owners.   sony would lose lots of 3rd party unit sales to gamepass but sony still get's a 30% cut on a lot of that revenue.   sony's titles (with the combined user base of playstation/xbox) would sell even more.  gamepass reaches way more console gamers then they do now and subs grow by double.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I had a feeling that MS would have thought this, I didn't expect them to say it as outright as they did.

I don't think Zenimax is quite big enough for Sony to care.  If MS bought another publisher, Sony might have to think about it.  

Sony allows EA Play, so maybe they'd allow Game Pass in that form as well.  

BananaKing

Kitler, you been arguing that gamepass doesn't make sense for MS. And that its not sustainable. Why do you think Sony getting 30% of gamepass just on their console would be sustainable to sony?

People need to realise that this isn't the end of the world for Sony. Yes, MS bought Bethesda and its a big deal. But Sony still Is a mega publisher that can compete. And frankly, by the time the big Bethesda games release, it will be too late this gen for it to make a big difference.

For next gen, Sony needs to continue to develop it first party and make it expand. But they have time. They are doing that.

Xevross

You can see how it could be beneficial. Competing streaming services in the movie and TV space are harming all of the services and consumers alike. If gaming can agree a solution like this I think it would be better for all involved.

That being said, I think this only becomes a beneficial agreement for Sony if it leads to Xbox console sales really winding down and Playstation becoming the sole console leader (outside of Nintendo loo la land). This could be a problem if the market ever transitions away from consoles, playstation would be in even more trouble and could die quite quickly.

It's a tough one to be honest. I wouldn't want to be the one making the decision.

Legend

That would be stupid for Sony since it makes them short term profits while ignoring long term damages.

However, that seems on brand for them atm since they're porting to pc so why not.

I think the only winning move is to re-imagine the future of games and embrace that traditional game consoles are dead. It's exactly like Kodak, Blockbuster, and all the other mega giants that failed due to innovation lag.

PlayStation right now is huge and crushes Xbox, but it makes the majority of its money from 3rd party royalties. That system will not last forever and currently Xbox is leading the charge. They're embracing pc and giving up on platform royalties because they can get even more cash with subscription royalties. Sony needs get ahead of gamepass or pull the rug out from under it. If they just treat it like regular business and take 30%, they will lose.

the-pi-guy

What if Sony and MS offered each other's subscription service for a discount.

Pay $3 a month to get PSNow on Gamepass.  

Sony would be able to push their service.  MS could expand theirs.  

Sony could get royalties in the meantime.  

SWORDF1SH

Sony should just push PS Now. People act like Sony don't have an equivalent to Games Pass. PS Now has been around way longer and has twice as many games over Games Pass.

Xevross

Sony should just push PS Now. People act like Sony don't have an equivalent to Games Pass. PS Now has been around way longer and has twice as many games over Games Pass.
Yeah PS Now just has to throw off its old reputation as a streaming service since you can download now.

Only disadvantage of PS Now is that it doesn't have day 1 games.

the-pi-guy

I wonder if Nintendo would be up for Gamepass.  

Jeff Grubb: I've been told that everything on Phil's shelf meant something, even the Switch.

Would easily be more beneficial for them than Sony, because they rely so much on first party as it is.  If it meant MS would bring over their bigger games.

Legend

I wonder if Nintendo would be up for Gamepass.  

Jeff Grubb: I've been told that everything on Phil's shelf meant something, even the Switch.

Would easily be more beneficial for them than Sony, because they rely so much on first party as it is.  If it meant MS would bring over their bigger games.
I need to see Switch 2 in action. I have no idea how next gen games are supposed to be ported to switch without major headaches.

Mmm_fish_tacos

It won't be a switch 2. Just a oled upgrade. Screens are still 720. But there's talk about 4k doc running dlss

the-pi-guy