Hapax OT: Magnificent Desolation

Started by Legend, Dec 21, 2020, 03:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Dec 21, 2020, 03:29 PM Last Edit: Aug 29, 2023, 10:59 PM by Legend

Awake mysteriously on an alien spaceship. The rest is up to you.

Hapax is a puzzle focused immersive sim set on a hard sci-fi alien spaceship.
  • You are on your own. Progress where you want and how you want.
  • A functional alien language adorns the ship. Recognize patterns to your advantage.
  • Permadeath. Make mistakes in one life and carry that knowledge forward in another.
  • All puzzles exist naturally within the game world. No red herrings. No obtuse solutions.
  • Different challenges for different players. A casual gamer can beat the game but a dedicated team will struggle against hidden mysteries.

Coming 2021 to PS5, PS4, and PC.

Hapax is VizionEck Adventure, reborn. After seven years of development, this beast will be going gold in the coming months.

Today is just a lowkey reveal of the name and new direction, in honor of the great conjunction (and my birthday). I'll work on a reveal video after winter break.

Xevross

Happy birthday!

Did the visual style completely change with this?

Legend

Happy birthday!

Did the visual style completely change with this?
Thanks!

Visual style completely changed. I needed something that would look "deserving" of PS5 and most of my lore for the original style had to be changed. Now the game is full photorealistic with raytracing. Increases immersion too which is a big part of the new game.

kitler53

I am a puzzle fan so I'll probably get it. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I am a friendship fan, so I will probably get it

Xevross

I'm a getting it fan, so I'll probably get it.

Dr. Pezus

I'm a fan, so I'll probably get it

Legend

I am a puzzle fan so I'll probably get it.
I'd hope so. In the wise words of Bugsnax, Hapax will be one of the best games on PS5.

I believe I've managed to do some pretty cool things with the puzzles. The permadeath/not-a-time-loop mechanic really drives them in a unique direction.

I am a friendship fan, so I will probably get it
Aw shucks  :-*

I'm a getting it fan, so I'll probably get it.
I'm trying to appeal to getting it fans, so this time it's releasing in Europe.

Also in tangential news, this is the official cancelation of that Forged Odyssey Lone Winter spinoff idea. I'm trying to release Hapax in the first part of 2021 and then put everything into Forged Odyssey proper.

Legend

Fun fact, the name of this game isn't a made up word. Huge upgrade over "VizionEck" cause it's easy to spell lol.

the-pi-guy

You should release a trailer with the original VizionEck gameplay and have it transition to Hapax graphics.  

It's come so far from the days of "Xbots hate VizionEck, but like racists"

Legend

You should release a trailer with the original VizionEck gameplay and have it transition to Hapax graphics.  

It's come so far from the days of "Xbots hate VizionEck, but like racists"
I want to release some nostalgic video like that. Going plan is to just remake the very first reveal trailer with current assets.

Legend

I'm cleaning out old boxes and found one of my early languages I created in 5th grade. It's pretty much just an English relex but it's fun to see just how long I've been interested in stuff like this.

Hapax is truly the Lord of the Rings of video games. I developed the language for the sake of the language and built a video game to house it.

Xevross

I'm cleaning out old boxes and found one of my early languages I created in 5th grade. It's pretty much just an English relex but it's fun to see just how long I've been interested in stuff like this.

Hapax is truly the Lord of the Rings of video games. I developed the language for the sake of the language and built a video game to house it.
There's a lot more to lord of the rings than that ;D

Legend

There's a lot more to lord of the rings than that ;D
Well not really. Tolkien basically invented artistic language creation. He's the closest thing there is to a "father of conlanging."

the-pi-guy

Well not really. Tolkien basically invented artistic language creation. He's the closest thing there is to a "father of conlanging."
Kind of depends on what you/Xev mean.

Xev could argue that LotR is a lot more than just language in a book.  It also has a large amount of history and culture that is backed by Catholicism Creationism, and it has stories taking place in that world.

Or you could argue that LotR's history and culture itself existed because of Tolkien's languages. (Which he has said himself).  "The elvish languages evolved this way because these groups split up".

It is absolutely true that LotR exists because of language, but at the same time that can feel like a diminutive view that LotR is a collection of conlangs, that had a book written around it.  

Go Up