Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

Mar 08, 2021, 05:26 PM Last Edit: Mar 08, 2021, 05:29 PM by Dr. Pezus
I really like tenet as well. the reverse time machine was a pretty cool take on time travel.  

I don't have anything in particular to complain about but I did feel like the idea wasn't as fully realized as inception was.  still a great idea with some pretty awesome fight/action scences as a result of the premise.
a sign of the times.  no one wants to see a damsel in distress type movie anymore.

personally I'm a bit disappointed that so much of "equality" is making women be agressive, violent, and independent. it is basically writing the role for a man and casting a women.   I genuinely think the quote "femine" qualities deserve to be idolized more: kindness, empathy, community, ect.

I suppose that doesn't make for as entertaining of a movie though.
Well the main character had some of the usual female traits as well. Just not that one dimensional like before

Raya was great. Had dumb baby humor but I'd recomend it. No spoilers Kitler, but watch it. Plot was original.

Tenet was also great. I liked it less on my second viewing but I still love it.
Yeah lol the humor was one thing that wasn't great but the kids in the cinema laughed quite a bit

aye aye captain.  I intended to but I'll watch it with my wife.  might be a while before we are both in the mood for.   we just got to soul last weekend,..

dice this is the right thread soul was pretty meh.  felt like the recycled inside out's premise.
Good times for animated movies! Soul was amazing imo

Don't really know why though but I connected with the overall message there

kitler53

Well the main character had some of the usual female traits as well. Just not that one dimensional like before
for the record i wasn't complaining about raya in particular.  just the general shift to establish equality by making females adopt traits traditionally associated with males.   i think it's great that the world is becoming open to the "female bad dog".   i think it's not so great we aren't also seeing an openess to the "empathetic male".

it's like the shift in the work place mentality.  i think it's great that females are making big strides to be equals in the workplace.   i just think it's sad that "housewife" became something of a slanderous term and "house husband" is still viewed as completely unacceptable.   nurturing a child's development is a noble pursuit.  i don't think any man/women should feel forced into staying at home to take care of the kids,.. i think those that chose too should be viewed with much higher respect than they get these days.

does that make sense?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time again (China re-release doing very well).

Legend

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time again (China re-release doing very well).
Yeehaw!

Legend

Watched starfish.

Cool seeing a local film. Didn't understand most of it.

Legend

Time trap was amazing. Kinda just a generic fun adventure film but they did great with the sci fi.

Legend

Xevross

'Avatar' Re-Release Has Grossed More in China Than 'Mulan'

Didn't fully understand how bad Mulan did in China.
Oh yeah, real bad. Disney gutted the best parts of Mulan to try and make it better for Chinese audiences so it'd explode in China, but they assigned the task of doing it to four American writers... so yeah.

Legend

So Godzilla vs Kong is a movie.

The action was often times great, but I don't think it's possible to reach the end without hating at least a few plot points.

Side note, what is up with the new movies treating Godzilla as a force of good? In Godzilla 2000 it was great having him be nothing but a monster.

the-pi-guy

Side note, what is up with the new movies treating Godzilla as a force of good? In Godzilla 2000 it was great having him be nothing but a monster.
He's gone from villian to hero to anti-hero in the past:

Is Godzilla A Hero Or Villain? Why It's So Confusing

Legend

He's gone from villian to hero to anti-hero in the past:

Is Godzilla A Hero Or Villain? Why It's So Confusing
Guess the movie I was thinking of was 1998.

Godzilla as a force of good is so out of wack. Anti-hero makes sense but these movies have people that worship Godzilla. "Sure he may be killing millions, but it's your fault you made him angry!"

Kong movies imo do a much better job making you care for him, even if it's the same "don't mess with nature" theme.

GardenJoseph

For me real version of Godzilla vs Kong is Pacino vs De Niro in Heat xd

Legend

Greenland is good. Didn't expect it to avoid so many tropes.

Legend

Luca is not bad, but not that good.

It embraced that it was a kids movie and didn't put too much effort in imo. Not like Soul or even Raya.

the-pi-guy

Jun 20, 2021, 03:22 AM Last Edit: Jun 20, 2021, 03:28 AM by the-pi-guy
Luca is not bad, but not that good.

It embraced that it was a kids movie and didn't put too much effort in imo. Not like Soul or even Raya.
This is what I was talking about a while ago. (Not this movie, but the idea in general)

It's kind of irritating that so many kids movies put so little effort. 

----

A lot of people talk about learning they missed dirty jokes when they rewatch kids movies, but the thing that gets me is when I figure out who plays a character. 

When I was younger I usually didn't pay attention to any actors. Now I recognize who a voice is and it's weird. The illusion of broken. He's not Lightning McQueen, it's just Owen Wilson. 

Go Up