Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

I'm sure Miles is doing very well digitally too. I'd expect at least 5m total sales from it, probably more due to new system legs

Xevross

Nov 22, 2020, 09:58 PM Last Edit: Nov 22, 2020, 10:03 PM by Xevross
I'm sure Miles is doing very well digitally too. I'd expect at least 5m total sales from it, probably more due to new system legs
I'd imagine its over 3m already worldwide.

He also shared on twitter that PS5 was 60% of Miles' sales this week. So physical sales were:

Week 1 PS5 60k, PS4 24k
Week 2 PS5 27k, PS4 18k

PS4 version showing some excellent early legs, and that PS5 second week is pretty great too considering its only sales from sunday-saturday and PS5 came out on Thursday. PS5 version will also have a lot of digital sales this week and 0 last week. So overall sales look very strong for Miles.

Also forgot to add that COD only dropped 27% WoW. So we have:

Week 1 AC 150k, COD 125k
Week 2 AC 45k, COD 91k

That's quite a swing, I think it just shows that AC was really pushed for next gen launch and COD is just doing its normal thing in the background.

Xevross

Some of you might have already seen, but Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity is already the best selling Musou game in history with its initial shipment + digital sales of 3million. Here's the era thread on it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/hyrule-warriors-age-of-calamity-ships-3-mil-including-digital-already-the-best-selling-musou-game-ever.332090/

Legend

Some of you might have already seen, but Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity is already the best selling Musou game in history with its initial shipment + digital sales of 3million. Here's the era thread on it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/hyrule-warriors-age-of-calamity-ships-3-mil-including-digital-already-the-best-selling-musou-game-ever.332090/
Nintendo spin off games seem to sell great, as long as the core IP is getting new games. Imagine how successful Federation Force could have been if it was after Prime 4 and was canon?

Xevross

Finally broke their silence on the launch I guess. No numbers is annoying, and with the weirdness of launches at different dates we don't really know what this means.

Xevross

Regarding UK sales, they have the numbers but aren't allowed to share them it seems. We only found out xbox through a leak basically, its weird Sony wouldn't share if this is the biggest launch ever.

kitler53

Regarding UK sales, they have the numbers but aren't allowed to share them it seems. We only found out xbox through a leak basically, its weird Sony wouldn't share if this is the biggest launch ever.
not really that weird.  

you got to think from a sony PR perspective.  playstation just  released a tweet that says "biggest console launch ever".   if that is the only information that is was will get reported on.   give the media public numbers and you'll start getting thinks like "5% better than ps4" or whatever the numbers work out to be.   "biggest launch ever" sounds vastly better to the mass market for which this kind of information is the target.  

remember, sony is under no obligation to release numbers.  if they do release them it is solely for the purpose of marketing the ps5.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Nov 26, 2020, 02:10 PM Last Edit: Nov 26, 2020, 02:16 PM by Xevross
Last week in Japan:

Switch 179k
PS5 43k (161k LTD)
XBS 3.7k (24k LTD)
PS4 2.8k

Switch got a lot more stock this week and continues to have its crazy year. XBS obviously dropping hard but apparently its still sold out so that's good for it at least. The xbox family could drop below PS4 next week.

That's honestly a better second week for PS5 than I was expecting, with PS4 we saw sales drop hard to practically 0 in NA second and third week while the rest of world launches occured, that hasn't happened here. If it keeps stable at over 40k per week through the new year we'd be looking at 400k LTD for PS5 going into Jan which would be very good I think and should mean it'll be ahead of PS4 launch aligned. PS4's second week back in 2014 was 53k after a 322k launch, so this is a far better hold.

DerNebel

Last week in Japan:

Switch 179k
PS5 43k (161k LTD)
XBS 3.7k (24k LTD)
PS4 2.8k

Switch got a lot more stock this week and continues to have its crazy year. XBS obviously dropping hard but apparently its still sold out so that's good for it at least. The xbox family could drop below PS4 next week.

That's honestly a better second week for PS5 than I was expecting, with PS4 we saw sales drop hard to practically 0 in NA second and third week while the rest of world launches occured, that hasn't happened here. If it keeps stable at over 40k per week through the new year we'd be looking at 400k LTD for PS5 going into Jan which would be very good I think and should mean it'll be ahead of PS4 launch aligned. PS4's second week back in 2014 was 53k after a 322k launch, so this is a far better hold.

I was wondering if the fact that Japan is closer to China (plus aren't they even making PS5'S in Japan itself?) makes it easier to ship new PS5 stock there. I'd be shocked if Sony managed to provide a third of what they sold first week to markets in Europe or the US in the second week there.

Xevross

I was wondering if the fact that Japan is closer to China (plus aren't they even making PS5'S in Japan itself?) makes it easier to ship new PS5 stock there. I'd be shocked if Sony managed to provide a third of what they sold first week to markets in Europe or the US in the second week there.
Yeah for sure, matching that would probably mean over 400k to NA last week which doesn't seem right at all. Perhaps their plan for Japan was a lower launch but then more stable stock compared to other regions, which being so close to China makes a lot easier. It does make sense.

Xevross

Nov 27, 2020, 12:54 PM Last Edit: Nov 27, 2020, 01:14 PM by Xevross
We got launch week numbers from Spain:

PS5 43k (38k disc 5k physical)
XBS 14k (10.5k X, 3.5k S)

Compared to:

PSP 54k
Switch 45k
PS2 40k
PS4 38k
PS3 35k
XB1 15k
X360 15k

So PS5 is the biggest playstation console launch, up 5k or 13% over PS4. XBS basically matches the last two xbox launches, down 1k or 7% over the previous two xbox consoles.

Xbox practically matching all the 13 XB1 markets does seem to be a theme, growth over XB1 launch is all from the 28 smaller markets that launched earlier this time. Some more important notes from Spain:

- Series S is not sold out yet, no more xbox stock expected this year
- Around 20k more PS5s are expected to be shipped by mid-December, all already pre-sold. No PS5s on shelves expected until next fiscal year.

Compared to:

PSP 54k
Switch 45k
PS2 40k
PS4 38k
PS3 35k
XB1 15k
X360 15k

So PS5 is the biggest playstation console launch, up 5k or 13% over PS4. XBS basically matches the last two xbox launches, down 1k or 7% over the previous two xbox consoles.

Xbox practically matching all the 13 XB1 markets does seem to be a theme, growth over XB1 launch is all from the 28 smaller markets that launched earlier this time. Some more important notes from Spain:

- Around 20k more PS5s are expected to be shipped by mid-December, all already pre-sold. No PS5s on shelves expected until next fiscal year.
Some thoughts on this:

PS4 sold 150k in Spain in 2013, XB1 sold 30k. If PS5 only gets 20k more stock this year that would be a dramatic drop from PS4's first two months, same for xbox if there's no restock at all. Either the guys at Vandal have heard wrong or Sony plan a lot more for later in December, or PS5's December is going to be way down on PS4's in some (maybe all) places. It does seem like both companies piled stock onto the launch for pre-orders rather than spacing it out over the holiday like last gen launch. And I doubt Vandal are wrong, they heard a while ago that the first PS5 shipment to Spain was around 50k and that turned out pretty accurate.

I guess we'll see how it pans out. I'm starting to doubt that PS5 will beat PS4's 4.5M shipped in its first quarter, if it does it won't be by too much. XBS is probably going to struggle to beat XB1's 3M first quarter as well.

kitler53

Compared to:

PSP 54k
Switch 45k
PS2 40k
PS4 38k
PS3 35k
XB1 15k
X360 15k

Some thoughts on this:

PS4 sold 150k in Spain in 2013, XB1 sold 30k. If PS5 only gets 20k more stock this year that would be a dramatic drop from PS4's first two months, same for xbox if there's no restock at all. Either the guys at Vandal have heard wrong or Sony plan a lot more for later in December, or PS5's December is going to be way down on PS4's in some (maybe all) places. It does seem like both companies piled stock onto the launch for pre-orders rather than spacing it out over the holiday like last gen launch. And I doubt Vandal are wrong, they heard a while ago that the first PS5 shipment to Spain was around 50k and that turned out pretty accurate.

I guess we'll see how it pans out. I'm starting to doubt that PS5 will beat PS4's 4.5M shipped in its first quarter, if it does it won't be by too much. XBS is probably going to struggle to beat XB1's 3M first quarter as well.
well sony had a pretty clear statement that ps5 will beat ps4's quarterly shipment numbers when they revised their forecast.

I think spain's numbers being down is less about stock and more about regional prioritization.  sony seems to be prioritizing getting a lead in the markets xbox is strong in and in other regions relying on brand loyalty that people will hold out for ps5. aka taking them for granted.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Nov 29, 2020, 09:34 PM Last Edit: Nov 29, 2020, 09:36 PM by Xevross
Black Friday physical game sales drop 20% over 2019 l UK Boxed Sales | GamesIndustry.biz

UK black friday sales. Pretty uninteresting week outside of Switch software soaring, with no HW numbers given.

As for the big Nov games I've been tracking, none were discounted this BF so this is fairly normal sales:

Spidey MM

Week 1 84k
Week 2 45k (-46%) [129k LTD]
Week 3 29k (-36%) [158k LTD]

AC Valhalla

Week 1 150k
Week 2 44k (-70%) [194k LTD]
Week 3 32k (-28%) [226k LTD]

COD BOCW

Week 1 125k
Week 2 91k (-27%) [216k LTD]
Week 3 47k (-48%) [263k LTD]

darkknightkryta

PS4s assemblies were brought back to Japan.  I would imagine PS5s also.  I'm not sure about the semi conductor part of the parts.  Like, I don't know if the APU and such are fabricated there or out of country.

Xevross

Sources: PS5 was the UK's biggest ever console launch | VGC

PS5 "far exceeded" PS4's 250k launch in the UK. Unfortunately we haven't been given any numbers.

Go Up