Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

I've been hearing bad things about Godzilla too. Still probably going to go see it though since my cousin worked on the special effects.
Hey at least your cousin did good work, the special effects are awesome :D

BananaKing

The new Godzilla was shame. The old one was SO MUCH BETTER. Yes I said it!

Kung skull island was stupid but fun.

Legend

Dr. Pezus

Uhm... Interesting

Xevross

So this film finally has a date, I'll be surprised if it doesn't get delayed though.

Xevross

Dark Phoenix is flopping everywhere, crazy bad performance.

Aladdin still holding phenomenally well everywhere and it just opened huge in Japan, one of the biggest holywood openings of all time. $900m+ may be on the cards.

Godzilla not holding well at all in most places except China.

Dr. Pezus

Glad Aladdin is doing well!

Seems deserved for Dark Phoenix. Terrible reviews

Legend

The new xmen movies are just so ignorable. I don't know how much nostalgia is to blame but the previous set were actually exciting. Xmen origins were the only ones that were 50/50.

New ones just feel like young adult genre flicks.

#hottake

Xevross

Jun 09, 2019, 02:30 PM Last Edit: Jun 09, 2019, 02:35 PM by Xevross
The new xmen movies are just so ignorable. I don't know how much nostalgia is to blame but the previous set were actually exciting. Xmen origins were the only ones that were 50/50.

New ones just feel like young adult genre flicks.

#hottake
Yeah, and this one coupled with the terrible reviews means people just don't care. Its looking at an OW of $35m, previous lowest for the X-men franchise was Wolverine's $53m in 2013. Its a similar story everywhere else in the world.

Secret Life of Pets 2 is also really bad compared to its predecessor. That had an $104m OW and SLOP2 is estimated at $47m. First film made $875m worldwide and sequel will be lucky to reach half that it seems.

All of these films flopping mean Toy Story 4 could be in for a monster opening in 2 weeks with little competition. Crazy how pretty much the only big films this year are going to be Disney + MCU Spider-Man. Captain Marvel, Endgame, Aladdin, Star Wars, Frozen, Toy Story, The Lion King all ~$900M+ and I don't see many other candidates for reaching that number this year. Spidey will for sure, but of course that's still affiliated with Disney. Hobbs and Shaw maybe, Jumanji sequel and Joker have a shot too I guess.

Xevross

$32.8M actuals for Dark Phoenix. OOF.

Xevross

Yeah DIsney got another billie grosser here.

Xevross

Dark Phoenix already $700k behind Aladdin on monday, jesus. What a flop this has turned out to be, after a terrible opening legs are looking terrible too. Meanwhile Aladdin keeps on flying, and its even more impressive in other countries like Spain, New Zealand and UK where Aladdin was in fact #1 this weekend above SLOP2 and others.

Speaking of flops, presale tracking for Men in Black is downright disastrous and it looks like this will be another loss maker. The flop summer carries on then and Disney are laughing all the way to the bank.

Legend

Men in Black looked ok. Is it getting bad previews or did the trailers not work?

Xevross

Men in Black looked ok. Is it getting bad previews or did the trailers not work?
Well neither really, just presales are tracking really badly. We'll find out more soon.

Xevross

Jun 13, 2019, 05:18 PM Last Edit: Jun 13, 2019, 05:21 PM by Xevross
MiB 27% on RT after 114 reviews. Big yikes there, let's see how badly it flops. Projection from the studio is $30m (already very low, first three were all $51-55m).

On the other end of the spectrum, Toy Story 4 reviews are dropping and so far its at a very solid 100% after 56 reviews! Pre-sales were falling a bit slower but maybe this will speed them back up a bit, either way still looking good for a ~$150m debut (compared to $110m for TS3).

Go Up