GTX 970/980 launched

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 20, 2014, 04:04 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Oh wow that's cheap.

the-pi-guy

Price is good, but the power consumption is nuts! 

Shinobi-san

I wonder how AMD will respond??

As it stands now the 970 will be a lot of peoples next gpu upgrade. And if Nvidia releases a 960ti that performs at 770 levels and at a $250 pricepoint then it will instantly become the most popular gpu.

Finally we getting a decent upgrade in price to performance!
Vizioneck STILL not banned at my workplace \O/

darkknightkryta

What the hell happened to the 800 GTX series?

Shinobi-san

Seems like they skipped it.
Vizioneck STILL not banned at my workplace \O/

Riderz1337

That 970 is very nice. Maybe if I build a PC I'll get it, although by the time I start building a PC newer cards will probably be released.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

BasilZero

In our Hearts

darkknightkryta

Seems like they skipped it.

I know they had the mobile series.  Oh well.  I was thinking of upgrading when the 900s came out.  Maybe I'll stick around for the 1000 or whatever they call the next ones.

Dr. Pezus

It's probably time for me to upgrade in the near future. Maybe next year when all the big games come out

the-pi-guy

I believe I heard they skipped it so that the desktop series matches the laptop series numbering. 

darkknightkryta

I believe I heard they skipped it so that the desktop series matches the laptop series numbering. 

They had the 800 series for laptops though.

the-pi-guy

What happened to the 880 and 870? Nvidia's explanation is that they had to use the 800 series earlier this year for a new series of notebook GPUs, as large laptop manufacturers insist that they receive a series of "new" models each year, regardless of whether there are actual new chips. Most of these 800 series notebook GPUs are therefore existing chips from the Kepler generation, running at different clock frequencies than their predecessors. In order to maintain the relation between new chips and new boards, Nvidia decided to introduce the new cards as part of the 900 series.