The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

the-pi-guy

A few of these seem like they've gotten bad comparisons.
Valve Index, Quest 2 should look better than Quest 1.  Might be an issue with the lense.  

But still the Reverb looks really good.

kitler53

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-new-psvr2-patent-discovered-haptics-in-headset-new-image.332792/

i don't really know how to read a patent but everyone is raving about the dualsense.  if they can put that into a VR headset that could be pretty dang cool.   however,.. heavy?  the psvr headset for ps4 is pretty heavy and from what i heard the dualsense is much heavier than the dualshock.  i don't think i could deal with a VR headset is even heavier than psvr.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-new-psvr2-patent-discovered-haptics-in-headset-new-image.332792/

i don't really know how to read a patent but everyone is raving about the dualsense.  if they can put that into a VR headset that could be pretty dang cool.   however,.. heavy?  the psvr headset for ps4 is pretty heavy and from what i heard the dualsense is much heavier than the dualshock.  i don't think i could deal with a VR headset is even heavier than psvr.
PSVR2 will be lighter, I'm 99% confident of that.  
DualSense is heavier for all kinds of reasons, it has a larger battery for one.  

There should be a fair number of size cuts (weight cuts) that any added components wouldn't make it heavier.

kitler53

PSVR2 will be lighter, I'm 99% confident of that.  
DualSense is heavier for all kinds of reasons, it has a larger battery for one.  

There should be a fair number of size cuts (weight cuts) that any added components wouldn't make it heavier.
i'm not certain about that.   everyone is clamoring for a "wireless" headset.  that would mean adding a battery.  i'm pretty sure that would counteract any cuts made elsewhere on the headset.

we'll see eventually.

the-pi-guy

i'm not certain about that.   everyone is clamoring for a "wireless" headset.  that would mean adding a battery.  i'm pretty sure that would counteract any cuts made elsewhere on the headset.

we'll see eventually.
Both of the Quest headsets are lighter than PSVR.  

PSVR is one of the heavier headsets that have been made.

I'm just saying the haptics aren't a big reason why DualSense is heavier, if they add any weight in the first place.  DualSense, I would suspect uses a heavier plastic.  And there's a big mechanism for the triggers as well.  

kitler53

Both of the Quest headsets are lighter than PSVR. 

PSVR is one of the heavier headsets that have been made.

I'm just saying the haptics aren't a big reason why DualSense is heavier, if they add any weight in the first place.  DualSense, I would suspect uses a heavier plastic.  And there's a big mechanism for the triggers as well. 
okay, well if sony can make a psvr2 that is:
- higher resolution screen with better FoV
- wireless
- includes haptics
- lighter

...then they certainly have a winner from my perspective.   seems like a difficult set of competing optimizations imo but would love it if all 4 points could be met at the same time.   but "lighter" probably matters more than most for me.  and hour of VR and my neck hurts more often than not with psvr. 

Legend

i don't really know how to read a patent but everyone is raving about the dualsense.  if they can put that into a VR headset that could be pretty dang cool.   however,.. heavy?  the psvr headset for ps4 is pretty heavy and from what i heard the dualsense is much heavier than the dualshock.  i don't think i could deal with a VR headset is even heavier than psvr.
I'm not sure I want haptics on my vr headset...

the-pi-guy

I'm not sure I want haptics on my vr headset...
The level of haptics this patent is actually talking about is a small vibration to let the player know they are wearing it wrong.  

With that said, there is some research into haptics (among other things) on a headset to reduce simulation sickness.

Regardless of use cases, I wouldn't expect major face vibrations. ;)

okay, well if sony can make a psvr2 that is:
- higher resolution screen with better FoV
- wireless
- includes haptics
- lighter

...then they certainly have a winner from my perspective.   seems like a difficult set of competing optimizations imo but would love it if all 4 points could be met at the same time.   but "lighter" probably matters more than most for me.  and hour of VR and my neck hurts more often than not with psvr.  
It'll probably be minor haptics. The real winner right now for haptics is the motion controls.  
There have been some pretty decent improvements in the VR space for smaller higher resolution screens, and similar improvements can then be made to the plastic and the lenses.

Additionally a big part of the PSVR weight is the back largely acts as a counter weight. Effectively any weight improvements in the front get doubled.  

I could always be wrong, but as the local VR guru...  I'm pretty confident it'll be lighter, at the very least I expect it to be close.

Legend

I'm thinking of buying half life alyx.

Any reasons not to? On sale atm.

the-pi-guy

I'm thinking of buying half life alyx.

Any reasons not to? On sale atm.
Haven't played. But it's supposed to be great.

the-pi-guy

Panasonic's headset now supports 6dof

kitler53

Panasonic's headset now supports 6dof
how does that compare because "6" doesn't mean anything to me.

the-pi-guy

how does that compare because "6" doesn't mean anything to me.
dof is degrees of freedom with motion. 

Technically the numbers can refer to any axes. 
In the VR space, the general measurement is that 3 refers to rotational tracking and 6 is rotational + positional tracking. 

Most headsets support 6dof.  Oculus Go and GearVR were the notable examples that didn't.

It's notable in this case because the headset is so small, last year's version only support rotational tracking. 

Go Up