Digital Foundry: There are yet-to-leak PSVR2 specs that "make it look even better"

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 03, 2021, 03:35 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Richard Leadbetter of Digital Foundry had this to say in their latest DF Weekly episode:
"We've seen some leaked [PSVR2] specs and it looks good. We've seen some other specs which haven't been leaked which make it look even better."
Unrevealed PSVR 2 Specs Make Headset Look 'Even Better'

the-pi-guy

There's not a lot here, but if DF is hyping up the headset to be better than I've heard, that sounds pretty awesome.

Legend

There's not a lot here, but if DF is hyping up the headset to be better than I've heard, that sounds pretty awesome.
I'm sure in the future I'll care about other things, but perfect tracking is number 1 and plug+play is number 2. Screen specs and what not are good enough.

BananaKing

I'm sure in the future I'll care about other things, but perfect tracking is number 1 and plug+play is number 2. Screen specs and what not are good enough.
Perhaps the biggest improvement is PS5 hardware itself. There can be really high framerates and a good resolution with good graphics.

kitler53

i just want to be able to play for more than 1 hour without feeling sick.

..and 3D video support.  ..for.. reasons...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

i just want to be able to play for more than 1 hour without feeling sick.

..and 3D video support.  ..for.. reasons...
I'd love 3D video support for other reasons.

I loved the Netflix vr environment. Was a mountain lodge with by far the best lighting for tv watching.

kitler53

I'd love 3D video support for other reasons.

I loved the Netflix vr environment. Was a mountain lodge with by far the best lighting for tv watching.

yeah ... I wasn't talking about Netflix. 

the-pi-guy

Supposedly , there was a PSVR dev presentation yesterday.

A lot of the information that came out, is super boring (headset doesn't have a name yet) or was already part of the UploadVR report a while ago.  

New details are:
- headset has no name
- headset is hdr, OLED display
- 110 degrees fov
- controllers will be packed in
- no mention of PSVR1 BC, but that there would be remasters.  
- Sony wants more hybrid experiences, with a focus on AAA games that are playable with and without VR.  
- foveated rendering and flexible resolution scaling are being used to make VR less hardware intensive.

Old details:
- 4000x2040 display
- haptics on the headset

https://www.resetera.com/threads/leaked-psvr2-details-from-supposed-closed-presentation.466551/#post-70748892

the-pi-guy

Aug 04, 2021, 11:49 AM Last Edit: Aug 04, 2021, 12:07 PM by the-pi-guy
Honestly if even half of this is true, the Next Gen VR will be pretty awesome I think.

I worry though.

This seems like a make it or break it point for Sony and VR.  Maybe they'd be happy if it sold 20 million, and had really high engagement.  

Legend

Honestly if even half of this is true, the Next Gen VR will be pretty awesome I think.

I worry though.

This seems like a make it or break it point for Sony and VR.  Maybe they'd be happy if it sold 20 million, and had really high engagement.  
I don't think it's make or break. VR is growing slowly and it would be far cheaper for Sony to cement themselves as a VR leader now than in 10 years.

They should at least have an answer to Oculus Quest though. Standalone VR is way more accessible and wires are a deal breaker imo for vr to go super mainstream.

the-pi-guy

I don't think it's make or break. VR is growing slowly and it would be far cheaper for Sony to cement themselves as a VR leader now than in 10 years.

They should at least have an answer to Oculus Quest though. Standalone VR is way more accessible and wires are a deal breaker imo for vr to go super mainstream.
I guess it depends on what their long term expectations are.  

I feel like on some level VR is inevitable, and it feels like we are getting pretty close to the breakout point for it.  

But if for some reason, they don't have that long term vision, I could see them dropping support.

kitler53

i hear pcvr is dead.   i assume that includes psvr.   

...i can mostly talk for myself but i've pretty much stopped playing vr.   i enjoyed moss/astrobot very much but a lot of the games i tried in vr could also be played in 2D.   while the vr experience was really cool it wasn't cool enough to make it worth the vr sickness and bad motion tracking.    

i'll probably pick up a psvr2 but i also think it will mostly collect dust for me.   i'm rich enough to pay the $400 for enjoy a handful of exclusive games that are really mind blowing.  ..but i'm too old and cranky to want to be in VR all the time.

the-pi-guy

...i can mostly talk for myself but i've pretty much stopped playing vr.   i enjoyed moss/astrobot very much but a lot of the games i tried in vr could also be played in 2D.   while the vr experience was really cool it wasn't cool enough to make it worth the vr sickness and bad motion tracking.    
PSVR2 should have substantially better motion tracking.
It's also supposed to have haptics to supposedly help with motion sickness. Will see how that works and how well it works.

the-pi-guy

Supposedly , there was a PSVR dev presentation yesterday.

A lot of the information that came out, is super boring (headset doesn't have a name yet) or was already part of the UploadVR report a while ago.  

New details are:
- headset has no name
- headset is hdr, OLED display
- 110 degrees fov
- controllers will be packed in
- no mention of PSVR1 BC, but that there would be remasters.  
- Sony wants more hybrid experiences, with a focus on AAA games that are playable with and without VR.  
- foveated rendering and flexible resolution scaling are being used to make VR less hardware intensive.

Old details:
- 4000x2040 display
- haptics on the headset

https://www.resetera.com/threads/leaked-psvr2-details-from-supposed-closed-presentation.466551/#post-70748892
UploadVR has apparently verified at least that there was an event recently.
Report: PS5 VR Headset Will Have HDR OLED Display, AAA Games

the-pi-guy

Nibel tweeted it out, and Zhuge retweeted.

I still don't know how reliable this PSVR YouTube channel is, but it's getting a lot of attention.

I am generally inclined to believe it, because the new info is so boring/expected.