March 2021 NPD - Switch ~960k, PS5 ~515k, XBS ~ 280k & PS5 Fastest Selling Console Ever

Started by Xevross, Apr 16, 2021, 04:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-march-2021-monster-hunter-rise-2-outriders-3-crash-4-back-at-15-switch-1-hw-in-both-units-and-revenue-ps5-fastest-selling-console.411024/

Top 20 SW:

Last 12 months best sellers:

Spidey MM selling more than TLOU2 means it is Sony's third biggest game ever in the US (by revenue).

HW estimates:

937k < Switch < 985k
473k < PS5 (< 555k napkin revenue math)
234k < XBS < 330k

kitler53

gamepass is killing ps5.    ...or is it jim ryan killing it.   either way it's disappointing to watch the end of a dynasty.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I wonder how much the budget price for MM helped. It was a no brainer for me to pick up even though I never played the original spiderman.

Dr. Pezus

I wonder how much the budget price for MM helped. It was a no brainer for me to pick up even though I never played the original spiderman.
What is it? 50 USD?

Legend

What is it? 50 USD?
Yeah $50. Compared to previous $60 games that's not much but compared to the other launch games, it really felt like a value. Cheaper than Sackboy.

BananaKing

Yeah $50. Compared to previous $60 games that's not much but compared to the other launch games, it really felt like a value. Cheaper than Sackboy.
dang man, I forgot sackboy even existed

kitler53

wouldn't it be compare to $70?

I think it helped a lot. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Legend

the-pi-guy

wouldn't it be compare to $70?

I think it helped a lot.
???

Xevross

937k < Switch < 985k
473k < PS5
234k < XBS < 330k

Xevross

Huge, huge month for both Switch and PS5 (and I guess with no upper limit on XBS it could have been huge too). That's better than every PS4 non-holiday month except September 2014 (538k) for PS5 (presuming it isn't actually >538k). And Switch needs no words, absolutely fudgy unreal.

BananaKing

Xevross

If you assume average sale price of Switch was $270, that's $266m revenue generated on the high end of its range. That's a bit of an iffy assumption, not sure how much bundled consoles count for it or how much Lite will have gone up by in this huge month, but those two things are opposite effects and probably mostly cancel each other.

PS5 being 4:1 or an average sale price of $480 won't be far off, so that puts a very tentative high end of 555k for PS5. I'm okay with that.

So for rough estimates I'd go:

Switch ~960k (+/- 25k) PS5 ~515k (+/- 40k), XBS ~280k (+/- 50k)

Mmm_fish_tacos

Well, switch is the only console you can find when walking into a store. And it has a really good back log. So, if you're stuck at home during a  Pandemic it's a good choice and often the only choice.