Xbox Series and PS5 Games Comparisons

Started by Xevross, Nov 11, 2020, 11:45 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

First game with a significant advantage for Series X?

the-pi-guy

First game with a significant advantage for Series X?
Pretty much.
The gap is bigger than the specs because the PS5 version is rendering lower.

Xevross

Jan 21, 2021, 12:01 AM Last Edit: Jan 21, 2021, 12:04 AM by Xevross
Seems like its the first time a game has performed about where you'd expect given the paper specs. Perhaps PS5 could be pushed a bit higher and still be locked at 60fps, but its close.

Native 4K is a bit of a waste, as has been said a lot. I can't tell the difference in resolution in any of the native PS5 games I've played that range all the way from 1440p to 4K.

The gaps between PS5 and XSX have been pretty much non-existent in every game. It only is noticeable when it involves bad frame drops, screen tearing and stuff like that.

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Apr 15, 2021, 10:57 PM Last Edit: Apr 15, 2021, 11:02 PM by the-pi-guy

Resident Evil Village | CAPCOM

Resident Evil Village

4K @ 45 w/ RT.  

Why would anyone target 45 fps?  

Legend

I think gow 3 was unlocked and ran around 45 fps most of the time.

Not sure if capcom are meaning that.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Not sure why you'd bother with RT on series S

Xevross

May 25, 2021, 09:51 AM Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:54 AM by Xevross
Here's something interesting, another aspect of it, from this reddit post: PS5 Game Size Comparison : PS5

Control: 25.7 vs 43.6
Hitman 3: 61.9 vs 77.8
Subnautica: 3.8 vs 8.3
Crash 4: 20.0 vs 28.0
Tony Hawk: 23.3 vs 31.9
Marvel's Avengers: 74.1 vs 116.6
AC Valhalla: 41.8 vs 72.5
Watch Dogs Legion: 50.6 vs 61.1
Immortals Fenyx Rising: 22.3 vs 32.9
Borderlands 3: 51.1 vs 63.8
Dirt 5: 50.9 vs 63.3
Mortal Shell: 4.6 vs 8.6

What I found interesting to note was, if you were to install all of these games on both consoles (Total 430.1 vs 608.4) you'd have 236.9GB remaining on PS5 and only 193.6GB remaining on Series X.
PS5 has 17% less storage space than Series X, which was made somewhat a big deal of last year. From this sample, PS5 games are about 30% lower install sizes than Series X games, so actually currently Sony are doing better with storage space on next gen games.

Legend

Wonder how much of that is better compression and how much is bloat. Avengers must have something else going on.

kitler53

Here's something interesting, another aspect of it, from this reddit post: PS5 Game Size Comparison : PS5

PS5 has 17% less storage space than Series X, which was made somewhat a big deal of last year. From this sample, PS5 games are about 30% lower install sizes than Series X games, so actually currently Sony are doing better with storage space on next gen games.
was actually pleasantly surprised at how many games i got on my ps5 when i set it up.  i didn't dig much into the numbers but i downloaded what felt like waaay more than i had on my ps4 and was then surprised to find i had almost half of my harddrive still free.

...i don't play CoD

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

TL;DW

- Biggest improvement is load times. Native PS5 app: 2.65 seconds, 15 seconds on PS4 app via BC.
- PS5: 2.65 Seconds, Series X: 4.2, Series S: 4.5 seconds

- Series S gains a resolution boost to dynamic 1440p, an upgrade over the original 1080p codebase.
- Scales only Horizontally. 17xxp to 2560 x 1440p.

- Series X: Dynamic 4K. Lowest noted 2560x2160 in taxing moments with GPU sapping effects.
- Previously with 60 FPS mod/boost ran with fixed 4K.
- You may see moments now where it may run softer but hard pressed to spot in practice.

- PS5 runs with fixed 4K same as before. Not much different in scaling now vs previously with FPS mods.
- Dreaded 400% zoom can show difference in clarity between PS5 and SX in some places where SX scales dynamically vs PS5´s static 4K.

- PS5´s native 4K can cause drops to high 40s / low 50s in stress areas (dragon fights) same as before
- Outside of these areas, it runs with barely any drops.
- Anniversary update also effects PS4 version of the app, you get 60 FPS without needing mods there too.
- No haptic feedback or adaptive trigger updates unfortunately.

- Series consoles get a more obvious improvement FPS upgrade over boost/mods.
- Series X Example of dragon appearance drops to 40 FPS before now only has a quck few frame drop to mid 50s.
- Much like PS5, no issues/drops outside of stress areas.

- Series S has same ballpark performance in stress areas as before.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/digital-foundry-skyrim-anniversary-edition-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-s-upgrades-tested.522204/#post-77977971

PS5 faster load times
PS5 dynamic framerate vs Series X dynamic resolution.  :P

Legend

What ever happened to no load times? 2.6 seconds is fast but a lot longer than a blink.

the-pi-guy

What ever happened to no load times? 2.6 seconds is fast but a lot longer than a blink.
Devs are still trying to figure out the PS5 SSD.  8)

/s
I'd be curious of the cause though.

Apparently a lot of engines have loading inefficiencies because it's figured that the HDD will take a while no matter what.

Go Up