Battle of the Backlog

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Playing through Spiderman and it really makes it clear why Insomniac is able to pump out games like they do.  

Like the whole door post by Naughty Dog, about how doors took the longest to get right.  
In Spiderman there aren't really any doors that are interact able by NPCs. Robberies take place in stores with an open front, most of the doors you interact with just start cutscenes or loading screens.

It's like their philosophy is make something good in a year, whereas ND is like we have to make it near perfect, even if it takes 3 years.

the-pi-guy

Played about an hour of MGS V, my first MGS game.  

This was mostly not what I expected.

I kind of expected realistic stealth game.

Instead it's way more X-Men or something than I expected.

Legend

Playing through Spiderman and it really makes it clear why Insomniac is able to pump out games like they do.  

Like the whole door post by Naughty Dog, about how doors took the longest to get right.  
In Spiderman there aren't really any doors that are interact able by NPCs. Robberies take place in stores with an open front, most of the doors you interact with just start cutscenes or loading screens.

It's like their philosophy is make something good in a year, whereas ND is like we have to make it near perfect, even if it takes 3 years.
I didn't realize the door post originated from ND.

Certain games like Spiderman and Nier Automata are incredibly good at punching above their weight. Then there are things like Assassin's Creed, RDR2, and TLOU2 that really do take an army.

I think of this all the time with my games lol. Hapax will release and the casual player will be horrified that it took this long to make since so much attention is put into every little detail. Meanwhile Forged Odyssey uses almost every trick imaginable to get more bang for my buck.

Played about an hour of MGS V, my first MGS game.  

This was mostly not what I expected.

I kind of expected realistic stealth game.

Instead it's way more X-Men or something than I expected.
It is very much not realistic hahaha. Rocket fists and cardboard boxes galore.

the-pi-guy

It was a response to another post.

nnodley

Building a studio that focuses on games like insomniac does is like my dream.  They don't have to be these perfect masterpieces, but are solid, fun, and intriquing enough to keep pulling people back.  And not even be as big as insomniac, just a good group of talented artists and people to make games we and players love.

Also my backlog is getting out of hand now.  I can't catch up. lol

the-pi-guy

It is very much not realistic hahaha. Rocket fists and cardboard boxes galore.
Generally if I know I'm interested in a game, then I avoid as much media to be surprised.  
And if I don't think I'm interested, then I avoid it to not waste time.  

On the one hand, I'm wondering if there are any good games I miss due to not really realizing what they are.  

On the other hand, I really like the surprise that this is so wildly different from what I expected.  

kitler53

Generally if I know I'm interested in a game, then I avoid as much media to be surprised.  

On the one hand, I'm wondering if there are any good games I miss due to not really realizing what they are.  

On the other hand, I really like the surprise that this is so wildly different from what I expected.  
going in blind to a game can be much more satisfying then consuming all the pre-release marketing.  i do it for all my favorite frachises and developers.   

i mostly watch media for games i'm not certain about.  i like to watch a few random minutes of a "let's play" to get a real feel for a game without all the marketing hype.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

going in blind to a game can be much more satisfying then consuming all the pre-release marketing.  i do it for all my favorite frachises and developers.  

i mostly watch media for games i'm not certain about.  i like to watch a few random minutes of a "let's play" to get a real feel for a game without all the marketing hype.  
I love going in blind on highly rated games that I've never seen. What Remains of Edith Finch, Soma, Outer Wilds, Firewatch, and Subnautica were all so fresh as I spent the first few minutes/hours going "oh, so this what I'm playing."

I'm mostly just surprised/impressed that you were able to avoid hearing anything about it. I felt like Kojima's reputation for being a bit out there was universally known.

the-pi-guy

I'm mostly just surprised/impressed that you were able to avoid hearing anything about it. I felt like Kojima's reputation for being a bit out there was universally known.
I've heard he was out there.  

But I had no frame of reference on the what or how.

Legend

It was a response to another post.

It'd be amazing if players understood this much work went into almost every element of a game.

Also here's a fun one I didn't see that dev mention.

the-pi-guy

I finished the Spiderman story mode.  Still have some side missions to finish.

On the whole the game is pretty good, but I have had a lot of issues.  

The story is way better than I expected, but I've had a lot of trouble with the gameplay.  

When it works, it's great.  
But other times I'm worrying my controller is dying. There's some instances where it's clearly the games fault. If a building has a piece that juts out and Spiderman goes underneath that, he will get stuck and it's awkward. The game is generally fluid, and that really hurts the fluidity.  Albeit on a rare basis.  

I've had more frustrations with Spiderman not quite doing what I want.

There's a trophy for doing tricks off a building and while trying to do that trophy, Spiderman would often start diving and I'd have to fight him to get him to stop.

I have had a lot of little irritations like this.  He will randomly stop swinging. Or he will jump to the wrong spot.  

Some of these could be my fault or the controller's fault, but i haven't played many games with this many incidences like that.  

I've had some minor bugs. A bad guy was able to see me through 2 walls, so that was delightful.  

Despite my frustrations, I think it's an 85/100.  A great game, I think I will finish the side missions, but I don't think it will be a game that I return to any time soon.

Legend

I only played Miles which seems to have been cleaned up, but I get that. I had a few moments where the game thought I wanted to do something else.

the-pi-guy

Nov 03, 2021, 02:01 PM Last Edit: Nov 03, 2021, 04:51 PM by the-pi-guy
PC:

Spoiler for Hidden:
-Binding of Isaac
-Borderlands
-Borderlands 2
-Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
-Braid
-Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
-Child of Light
-Cities: Skylines
-DarkSiders
-Dead Rising 2
-Dead Space
-Deus Ex
-Dishonored
-Dragon Age Origins
-Elder Scrolls III
-Elder Scrolls IV
-Fallout 3
-Fallout New Vegas
-Far Cry 3
-Far Cry 4
-Half Life
-Half Life 2
-Half Life 2: Episode 1
-Half Life 2: Episode 2
-L.A. Noire
-The Last Remnant
-Mass Effect
-Mass Effect 2
-Metro 2033
-Metro Last Light
-Mirror's Edge
-Portal 1
-Rage
-Remember Me
-Resident Evil 4
-Resident Evil 5
-Resident Evil Revelations
-Resident Evil Revelations 2
-Rime
-Ryse
-Saints Row IV
-Sleeping Dogs
-Star Dew Valley
-Tomb Raider
-Undertale
-The Walking Dead
-The Walking Dead 2
-Watch Dogs
-The Witcher
-The Witcher 2
-The Witcher 3
-The Witness

Games I want to get:
-Beyond
-Detroit
-Ghost of Tsushima
-Heavy Rain
-Monster Hunter World
-Red Dead Redemption
-Red Dead Redemption 2
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
Sadly dropping the PS3 games.
Holding off on the PC games. 

PS4/PS5:
- Batman collection
- Bioshock collection
- Celeste
- Cuphead
- Dark Souls
- Dark Souls 2
- Dark Souls 3
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Hollow Knight
- InFamous Second Son
- Killzone ShadowFall
- Knack 2
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- Metal Gear Solid V
- Nier Automata
- Nioh
- Persona 5
- Ratchet and Clank Remake
- Sekiro
- Skyrim
- Spider-man
- The Witness
- Uncharted Series
- World of Final Fantasy

Some of these are lower priority because I have finished them in the past. 

I officially got the platinum for Spider-Man. Was pretty easy. 

I'm not exactly sure what to play next. A lot of games are pretty big investments.
I put some 40 hours into Spiderman, which was more than I wanted to, I think. 

I tried putting a little bit of time into Batman AA, just because Spiderman reminded me of it. Some parts of the controls don't feel as good as Spider-Man and some feel better. 

Like Batman makes it easier to fight 3 villains.

Legend

Finally after years and years, I'm tackling Other M. I picked it up in a target discount bin around 2014 I think.

kitler53

Sadly dropping the PS3 games.
Holding off on the PC games.  

PS4/PS5:
- Batman collection
- Bioshock collection
- Celeste
- Cuphead
- Dark Souls
- Dark Souls 2
- Dark Souls 3
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Hollow Knight
- InFamous Second Son
- Killzone ShadowFall
- Knack 2
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- Metal Gear Solid V
- Nier Automata
- Nioh
- Persona 5
- Ratchet and Clank Remake
- Sekiro
- Skyrim
- Spider-man
- Uncharted Series
- World of Final Fantasy

Some of these are lower priority because I have finished them in the past.  

I officially got the platinum for Spider-Man. Was pretty easy.  

I'm not exactly sure what to play next. A lot of games are pretty big investments.
I put some 40 hours into Spiderman, which was more than I wanted to, I think.  

I tried putting a little bit of time into Batman AA, just because Spiderman reminded me of it. Some parts of the controls don't feel as good as Spider-Man and some feel better.  

Like Batman makes it easier to fight 3 villains.

dropping or pausing the witness and braid from you list is the wrong move.  realistically you should be playing them next because they better games than anything else on your list.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up