PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Newegg has gotten worse. Every single card now comes as a bundle with another item.  Some of those items are really expensive.  Like a few actually included $400-$500 motherboards/monitors.

Popular Product Drawing Event | Newegg.com

Today isn't too bad.  Only a $180 motherboard, included with their $2350 card. Big improvement.   ;D

Best Buy had a drop yesterday out of nowhere.  They've never had one so late in the day, and I don't think they've ever had one on Wednesday.  So I wasn't even watching.  But it seemed like more people were able to get a card than usual. 

I'm kind of thinking of giving up.
Or expanding, and trying to get a 6800 XT.  Would mean no DLSS though.  :(

the-pi-guy

Zotac had a queue for their store, you were randomly assigned into the queue and they would put you through the line.
The line moved about 100 people. The highest number I saw was that someone was about 24,000th in line.

You could be in the queue in multiple spots due to having multiple devices, but I'm assuming that's not many people, and I'm also assuming that the line and the people moving were in a linear fashion with no skipped numbers.

But that suggests to me that demand is absolutely insane for the RTX series. It's kind of crazy that one of the manufacturers can't even get enough cards for 0.5% of the people that were on their store late at night, 6-7 months after launch of the product.

the-pi-guy

Nvidia is supposed to announce the 3080 TI/3070 TI. 

And the leaked MSRP are over $2000 for the 3080 TI. Despite only minor improvements over the 3080. 

the-pi-guy

There might be some good stuff.  

I think this is the first time I will watch.

the-pi-guy

4K benchmarks at ultra maximum settings with super costly AA solution: 35 fps
"The world isn't ready for 4K gaming."

It irritates me so much.  

Legend

4K benchmarks at ultra maximum settings with super costly AA solution: 35 fps
"The world isn't ready for 4K gaming."

It irritates me so much.  
PC gaming has always been a bit elitist but nowadays it's crazy. If every setting isn't maxed it's trash.

On Steam I've noticed this a lot with minimum specs. I view minimum specs as "you can play the game at around 30 fps with everything turned to low but still fully enjoy it" while others expect 60 fps, HD+, and medium settings.

kitler53

PC gaming has always been a bit elitist but nowadays it's crazy. If every setting isn't maxed it's trash.

On Steam I've noticed this a lot with minimum specs. I view minimum specs as "you can play the game at around 30 fps with everything turned to low but still fully enjoy it" while others expect 60 fps, HD+, and medium settings.
it's difficult for me to comprehend "minimum specs" and an expectations of "medium settings"...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

it's difficult for me to comprehend "minimum specs" and an expectations of "medium settings"...
With AAA it isn't too bad since people blame their pc. As the visual quality of the graphics drops though, people tend to blame the game instead.

I think it creates a feedback loop where devs bump up minimum specs to avoid unhappy players and then people get used to running games at near "minimum spec" with medium settings.

the-pi-guy

Decided to try running Skyrim Special Edition on low settings. Just to try playing in Japanese again.  

Steam says I'm getting 10-20 frames per second with my GT 710.

Can't wait to get a 3080 or something close.  

My brother has the regular edition subscribed to a ton of mods, so I don't want to play it.  

the-pi-guy

I didn't notice my motherboard had 8x SATA ports....  

I have:
4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports
2 USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports
1 3.2 Gen 2 port type C on the motherboard
+
2 USB 3.0 ports
2 USB 2.0 ports on the case

Confusingly the 3.2 Gen 1 ports are the same as USB 3.0 ports.  My case is using the old naming scheme and my motherboard is using the new one.  

Still pretty awesome, it's almost making me miss the days when lots of USBs were required for VR for the sensors and everything.

Current Oculus Quest 2 requires a single 5 gbps USB port.

So I have 7x as many ports as needed. And 3 of them are 10 gbps ports.

I'm curious to see what the Quest 2 looks like with a 5 gbps data rate That must be a decent bit of compression. Makes a lot more sense what the PSVR2 will drive off a 10 gbps data rate.  

the-pi-guy

Nov 29, 2021, 07:29 PM Last Edit: Nov 29, 2021, 07:55 PM by the-pi-guy
I bought a blu ray player that can read 4K discs.

Except LG patched that functionality out.

And I accidentally locked myself into the firmware set that patches it out, because the software I was using claimed it was uhd friendly.  (Although, that software might have been talking about a custom version, and I thought I'd stick with the official version, only to find out that the official doesn't actually support it)

joy, joy.

(probably can still be fixed but it's a pain)

Legend

I bought a blu ray player that can read 4K discs.

Except LG patched that functionality out.

And I accidentally locked myself into the firmware set that patches it out, because the software I was using claimed it was uhd friendly.  (Although, that software might have been talking about a custom version, and I thought I'd stick with the official version, only to find out that the official doesn't actually support it)

joy, joy.

(probably can still be fixed but it's a pain)
What the heck? Was 4k functionality an unofficial feature? How could they legally patch that out?

the-pi-guy

What the heck? Was 4k functionality an unofficial feature? How could they legally patch that out?
It seems to be an unofficial feature.
There is a good amount of documentation about reading UHD discs by users on various sites. But apparently the feature got disabled with firmware 1.03.

the-pi-guy

HAHA I DID IT!

Evil Laugh - TV Tropes

;D

Now it is recognizing the uhd disc.

the-pi-guy

So I uh, was able to order a card...

Front Zoom. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0  Graphics Card - Titanium and Black.

Go Up