Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

darkknightkryta

Me too!!!

Uh oh... 
I like the else kind of packed in with the if. 

A lot of IDEs magically connect them, regardless.
The problem isn't the connecting, the problem is trying to find when you're missing one.  A lot of time I spend helping my students debug their programs have to do with a missing bracket.  Having them lined up let's you know what's missing since they're lined up, you can just follow down and see where it's missing.

the-pi-guy

The problem isn't the connecting, the problem is trying to find when you're missing one.  A lot of time I spend helping my students debug their programs have to do with a missing bracket.  Having them lined up let's you know what's missing since they're lined up, you can just follow down and see where it's missing.
You can do the same thing with the other format.  You just match it with the start of the line that connects it.

Code: [Select]

public static void main(stuff){
      for(stuff){
             if(stuff){

}

}
}

A lot of IDEs still tell you if one is missing.  Not always accurately, albeit. 

darkknightkryta

You can do the same thing with the other format.  You just match it with the start of the line that connects it.

Code: [Select]

public static void main(stuff){
      for(stuff){
             if(stuff){

}

}
}

A lot of IDEs still tell you if one is missing.  Not always accurately, albeit.  
Look very carefully at your first example.  The top doesn't line up at all with the bottom.  Now imagine programs with worse formatting.  I've spent more time hunting down brackets than anything.  Having them lined up helps a ton.

the-pi-guy

Look very carefully at your first example.  The top doesn't line up at all with the bottom.  Now imagine programs with worse formatting.  I've spent more time hunting down brackets than anything.  Having them lined up helps a ton.
It lines up with the p.  

I personally haven't spent very much time looking for brackets.  9/10 times the editor tells me where the issue is.  

Legend

How realistic is it to have an incredibly large memory object in graphics memory for rendering? Would say a 1 gigabyte object be fine or is there some restriction and something like that would have to be split into multiple objects? Xbox One uses ESRAM so that's problematic but would it work on say the GTX 970?

the-pi-guy

How realistic is it to have an incredibly large memory object in graphics memory for rendering? Would say a 1 gigabyte object be fine or is there some restriction and something like that would have to be split into multiple objects? Xbox One uses ESRAM so that's problematic but would it work on say the GTX 970?
Not aware of any issues, should work.

Legend

Not aware of any issues, should work.
Good. Wouldn't think it'd be a problem but I know relativly little about the hardware side and the way memory actually works.

darkknightkryta

Your space in your card is your space.  1 gigabyte will fit in a 2 gig card.  Now trying to put more after that 1 gig object...

Legend

A 512x512x512 buffer might be possible after all :)

Now if only i could figure out my AI issues with VizionEck and get that released.

the-pi-guy

Here comes first compiler test.  

darkknightkryta

Here comes first compiler test.  
You'll do fine, you're good at the math behind compilers.

the-pi-guy

I felt really good about 95% of the test.  

the-pi-guy

"2.2, just like 2.1 just no more NAKs"

Legend

Unity uses floats for time. This works since game sessions don't last that long.

However, modern consoles can suspend games. Going 50 hours without restarting is common. At that length of time, anything based off floats would be super screwed and probably crash. So I wonder if future unity versions will use doubles.

Supposedly unity internally uses doubles but they want to keep it easy for devs.

Go Up