The Verge (Lockhart): "We understand that includes 7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance."

Started by Legend, Jun 26, 2020, 03:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

i saw a post in another site that make lockhart click for me.  it will be super popular with dumb adults.   it will be just like a nintendo console,.. no one actually wants one for themselves but loads of people feel great about gifting them at christmas. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

i saw a post in another site that make lockhart click for me.  it will be super popular with dumb adults.   it will be just like a nintendo console,.. no one actually wants one for themselves but loads of people feel great about gifting them at christmas.
I know you're joking mostly but I'd bet Lockhart is extremely cheap like $199 with a 24 month gamepass contract. Make it so attractive feeling that it's the default console for non enthusiasts. Hook them in to gamepass and try to upsell them to series x at a later time.

Xevross

Lockheart is going to sell like hotcakes if they advertise it right. A cheap "next gen" console with gamepass is a wining combo.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Faster cpu than ps5?

the-pi-guy

Faster cpu than ps5?
The original claim was that it was slower.  Tom Warren says it is the same now.  

So it'd have a very slightly faster CPU, but way worse everything else.  

BananaKing

Faster cpu than ps5?
Same CPU as XSX which is faster than the PS5. I can imagine it would make optimizations much easier if devs had nothing to do or little on the CPU side. Its including the same hardware regardless, they just need to clock it at the same speed

Mmm_fish_tacos

Seems like it would be really lopsided. All that cpu and a weak gpu.

Legend

What if the cpu keeps it from being super cheap?

It's great that it has the same cpu but since it has about half the ram and a third the gpu, it's not like devs can just port without work. Some games may be really hard.

So as fish tacos said, why is the cpu so strong? It can still scale with resolution a bit.

Option 1: $249 box that can play almost all next gen games for a few years. Some games may have things scaled back beyond resolution.

Option 2: $399 box that can play every next gen game for the full gen with everything the same except for resolution.

People seem to want option 2 but these specs seem like a little bit of both. What if the system ends up costing closer to option 2 but in practice functions like option 1?

the-pi-guy

What if the cpu keeps it from being super cheap?
Tom Warren said it wasn't going to be cheap.  Seems to me like $299 is probably the lowest we can expect.  
CPU + SSD are pretty expensive, a smaller GPU, and less RAM doesn't open up the door to a lower price.

It's great that it has the same cpu but since it has about half the ram and a third the gpu, it's not like devs can just port without work. Some games may be really hard.
So as fish tacos said, why is the cpu so strong? It can still scale with resolution a bit.
Option 1: $249 box that can play almost all next gen games for a few years. Some games may have things scaled back beyond resolution.
Option 2: $399 box that can play every next gen game for the full gen with everything the same except for resolution.
People seem to want option 2 but these specs seem like a little bit of both. What if the system ends up costing closer to option 2 but in practice functions like option 1?
Practically it's hard to say.  Most games tend to get limited by the GPU before the CPU, but that's not universal.  

Though I'm going to bet it'll be Option 1.  

Legend

Tom Warren said it wasn't going to be cheap.  Seems to me like $299 is probably the lowest we can expect.  
CPU + SSD are pretty expensive, a smaller GPU, and less RAM doesn't open up the door to a lower price.
Practically it's hard to say.  Most games tend to get limited by the GPU before the CPU, but that's not universal.  

Though I'm going to bet it'll be Option 1.  
Yeah beefy cpu plus ssd will make this cost a bit to build. Compared to series x though it could be kinda cheap. No disc drive, half ram, third gpu, cheaper power supply, cheaper cooling, and smaller box.

It's just so hard to understand without prices or marketing.

$349 lockhart
$499 ps5 digital
$549 ps5
$599 series x.

It makes the most sense if the other systems cost a ton.

kitler53

Jun 30, 2020, 02:02 PM Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 02:07 PM by kitler53
$400 lockhart
$450 ps5 digital
$500 ps5
$500 series x.
i'm really not sure about lockhart but i think you underestimate how much of a loss console makers are willing to take.  i'm like 100% certain nothing will be sold for $600.  i'm quite certain sony and ms had a target price in mind when they designed this hardware and at no point would $600 been chosen.   that is just suicide.

**in case it wasn't obvious i edited the prices in the quote to match my expectations.

DerNebel

Yeah beefy cpu plus ssd will make this cost a bit to build. Compared to series x though it could be kinda cheap. No disc drive, half ram, third gpu, cheaper power supply, cheaper cooling, and smaller box.

It's just so hard to understand without prices or marketing.

$349 lockhart
$499 ps5 digital
$549 ps5
$599 series x.

It makes the most sense if the other systems cost a ton.
I'm personally almost 100% certain that the gap between the PS5 and the PS5 Digital will be $100. Even in the worst case scenario I don't see the gap getting smaller than $80.

$50 just feels like way too little of a saving considering what you are giving up for it, people won't go for that. And since people with a digital only console will be almost exclusively locked into Sony's store front, I'd say that Sony has a vested interest in having a good chunk of people get that version.

My gut feeling is $500 for the standard version and $400 for the Digital console.

Legend

i'm really not sure about lockhart but i think you underestimate how much of a loss console makers are willing to take.  i'm like 100% certain nothing will be sold for $600.  i'm quite certain sony and ms had a target price in mind when they designed this hardware and at no point would $600 been chosen.   that is just suicide.

**in case it wasn't obvious i edited the prices in the quote to match my expectations.
I agree with $600 being crazy but I don't see the point of lockhart if it's only $100 cheaper. Who wouldn't pay $100 more to get a disc drive and full power with series x?

Or just pay $50 more to get a PS5 digital.
I'm personally almost 100% certain that the gap between the PS5 and the PS5 Digital will be $100. Even in the worst case scenario I don't see the gap getting smaller than $80.

$50 just feels like way too little of a saving considering what you are giving up for it, people won't go for that. And since people with a digital only console will be almost exclusively locked into Sony's store front, I'd say that Sony has a vested interest in having a good chunk of people get that version.

My gut feeling is $500 for the standard version and $400 for the Digital console.
A $100 gap makes sense if the standard one is sold at a gain.

kitler53

I agree with $600 being crazy but I don't see the point of lockhart if it's only $100 cheaper. Who wouldn't pay $100 more to get a disc drive and full power with series x?

Or just pay $50 more to get a PS5 digital.
A $100 gap makes sense if the standard one is sold at a gain.
no one would buy a lockhart,.. for themselves.   

lockhart is MS's fruit cake or nintendo console of the holiday gift giving season for uninformed parents and uncles that want to give a "cool" gift. 

Legend

no one would buy a lockhart,.. for themselves.  

lockhart is MS's fruit cake or nintendo console of the holiday gift giving season for uninformed parents and uncles that want to give a "cool" gift.
Then they'd buy a current gen xbox or a cheaper switch.

I guess it depends a lot on what the name is. Maybe lockhart is "New Xbox."

Go Up