The Verge (Lockhart): "We understand that includes 7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance."

Started by Legend, Jun 26, 2020, 03:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Then they'd buy a current gen xbox or a cheaper switch.

I guess it depends a lot on what the name is. Maybe lockhart is "New Xbox."
clearly it will be called xbox series s

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

clearly it will be called xbox series s
Which won't do anything to help sell the system to confused adults.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Jun 30, 2020, 05:05 PM Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 05:09 PM by Legend
Also I've seen a lot of misunderstanding about 4K textures on other websites discussing this. If anyone here didn't know and is interested in learning, 4k textures have nothing to do with 4k rendering resolution. Almost all base PS4 games include 4K textures and Rage on PS3 even included a ~32K texture or something like that.

Here is an example of a 2k character texture.

When used in game, the pixels are stretched across the model and warped. They do not align with display pixels and there are a million different factors involved. Oftentimes you can get better results with multiple lower res textures, and oftentimes multiple lower res textures are combined into a single higher res texture. In general there is no such thing as 1080p textures.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/brad-sams-info-on-lockhart-shape-and-lockhart-holding-back-next-gen.238312/
"development (or profiling as it is now called)"

This line stuck out to me. Maybe Microsoft has something strange going on but with my limited next gen xbox experience, it comes across as a misunderstanding of development and an invalidation of the rest of his technical points.

the-pi-guy

Or just pay $50 more to get a PS5 digital.
A $100 gap makes sense if the standard one is sold at a gain.
Albert Penello was talking about the difference.

The Optical Disk Drive has a low manufacturing cost ~$20, but it has high value for the consumer ~$100.  

If the price difference is too small, Digital version will lose out, too big then the standard will lose out.

Legend

Albert Penello was talking about the difference.

The Optical Disk Drive has a low manufacturing cost ~$20, but it has high value for the consumer ~$100.  

If the price difference is too small, Digital version will lose out, too big then the standard will lose out.
I know I'm buying the disc drive version but I know a lot of other people have been all digital for years. I'd bet for them a $50 dif is plenty. It might just be about giving consumers a choice instead of pushing a specific model.

But if they go with a $100 dif, I mean I'd expect it to be something like lose $60 per digital version sold, gain $20 per physical version sold. That way the standard sells less but makes a profit just by existing.

kitler53

I know I'm buying the disc drive version but I know a lot of other people have been all digital for years. I'd bet for them a $50 dif is plenty. It might just be about giving consumers a choice instead of pushing a specific model.

But if they go with a $100 dif, I mean I'd expect it to be something like lose $60 per digital version sold, gain $20 per physical version sold. That way the standard sells less but makes a profit just by existing.

i've been all digital from this entire generation,.. the only disc i have is astrobot because it was bundled with my psvr.   all the same i'm still getting the disc version even at $100 more.  i have about 500 dvds and blurays on the shelf and a library across the street that i rent discs from.   i'm not giving up the ability to play those even if my game library is 100% digital.  

Legend

i've been all digital from this entire generation,.. the only disc i have is astrobot because it was bundled with my psvr.   all the same i'm still getting the disc version even at $100 more.  i have about 500 dvds and blurays on the shelf and a library across the street that i rent discs from.   i'm not giving up the ability to play those even if my game library is 100% digital.  
Same with movies. Would not buy the discless version regardless of price.

kitler53

Same with movies. Would not buy the discless version regardless of price.
well, if the difference was $500 then i'd buy the digital version.   but it is worth $100 to me which is the most i'd expect to see a difference in price.  i'm still leaning towards $50 as the actual price difference.

and seriously,.. what the fudge is up with the digital movie market.  the main reason netflix disrupted the industry is because they make it impossible to buy a digital version of a movie/show an play it literally fudgy anywhere.  and then they have the audacity to put like a 200% mark up on digital copy that can only be played on one device.  wtf guys, you were literally "asking for it"...

the-pi-guy

I wonder if PS6 will still have an optical drive.  

I'm hoping so.  

Legend

I'm hoping so.  
Not in my opinion.

They can sell an external optical drive for the few people that want it, but of course all PS6 games would be digital.

kitler53

I'm hoping so.  
consider this a "test generation".  if the digital version sell to 90% or more of the market thren no it won't.  but of it only sells to 50% then i'd expect next gen to have the option again. 

you vote with your wallet. 

Legend

At the moment I'm feeling that $399 digital and $499 physical PS5 are 90% likely to happen. If those prices are locked in, then $499 for series x and $299 for lockhart imo.

Maybe Microsoft would want to undercut the PS5 by $50.

the-pi-guy

At the moment I'm feeling that $399 digital and $499 physical PS5 are 90% likely to happen. If those prices are locked in, then $499 for series x and $299 for lockhart imo.

Maybe Microsoft would want to undercut the PS5 by $50.
I think there's like an 80% chance of the prices.

Don't think Sony will let MS undercut.  

My take:
PS5:
80% $499
19% $449
1% 399

PS5 DE:
80% $399
19% $449
1% $349

XSS:
80% $299