PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

That's bonkers.  That's barely cheaper than a 2060.
Most graphics cards are currently being sold for 2-3x their MSRP, due to the shortages.
Which is why I went with the 710 until things cool down.  

The RTX 2060 is often selling for ~$1000.

GIGABYTE Geforce RTX 2060 OC 6G Graphics Card, 2 x WINDFORCE Fans, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6, GV-N2060OC-6GD Video Card - Newegg.com

darkknightkryta

Most graphics cards are currently being sold for 2-3x their MSRP, due to the shortages.
Which is why I went with the 710 until things cool down.  

The RTX 2060 is often selling for ~$1000.

GIGABYTE Geforce RTX 2060 OC 6G Graphics Card, 2 x WINDFORCE Fans, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6, GV-N2060OC-6GD Video Card - Newegg.com
O_O

Legend

I really lucked out buying my 2060 back in October. Was like the only newish card still in stock at msrp.

the-pi-guy

I bought another 4 TB HDD, one that is actually built for NAS.  and will be dedicated to streaming plex stuff.  

the-pi-guy

I had a dream that I got a 3080 FE and part of it got pushed in, still worked. But still.

the-pi-guy

I am sure I've said this before.

But I love the first desktop I ever built. Like every detail of it, I am proud of.

The case, the PSU, the CPU, the big GPU.  

I miss it a lot. It's my parent's now, getting good use.

Considering the age and the gap in what I've paid, my new PC isn't quite the upgrade one would hope for.  

I will have paid about double for:
- 3x the CPU
- 4x the RAM
- 2x the HDD
- 4x the GPU

Despite being 7 years newer.

the-pi-guy

Buying off EVGA: *sign up for queue, wait 8 months and purchase it easily*
Buying off Amazon: *sees in stock, add to cart, "sorry that item is out of stock".  add to cart, *one item added to cart*, purchase, "sorry that item is out of stock"
Buying off Best Buy: *sees in stock, add to cart, "please wait" -> 5 minutes later turns yellow, add to cart, hurry and checkout! or more likely ->20 minutes later, refresh add to cart turns yellow "not available"
Buying off Newegg: *signs up for lottery, "sorry you did not get chosen"

Supposedly one of the 3070 queues has caught up on EVGA, so now I'm deciding if I want that card.  As it's nearly the price of a 3080.

darkknightkryta

I am sure I've said this before.

But I love the first desktop I ever built. Like every detail of it, I am proud of.

The case, the PSU, the CPU, the big GPU.  

I miss it a lot. It's my parent's now, getting good use.

Considering the age and the gap in what I've paid, my new PC isn't quite the upgrade one would hope for.  

I will have paid about double for:
- 3x the CPU
- 4x the RAM
- 2x the HDD
- 4x the GPU

Despite being 7 years newer.
Yeah, prices have gone up.  I remember even laptop prices.  What you used to be able to buy for 500 dollars, the equivalent is like 1000 now (Dollar increase here in Canada, I know)

the-pi-guy

I'm never going to get a card.  :'(

Legend

I'm never going to get a card.  :'(
It sure sucks.

At this point I'm definitely waiting for the next gen.

the-pi-guy

Apr 06, 2021, 01:07 AM Last Edit: Apr 06, 2021, 01:16 AM by the-pi-guy
I have kind of a love/hate relationship with LEDs.  

I think it looks gamer obnoxious, at the same time it can look pretty cool.  

Kind of want to get some LED fans...  

darkknightkryta

According to Linus, Trump ordered all electronics to have L.E.D.s (A joke, of course).  Still, if R.A.M. had L.E.D.s, then screw it, I want all parts to have L.E.D.s.  Not enough bling bling in our computers.

Legend

According to Linus, Trump ordered all electronics to have L.E.D.s (A joke, of course).  Still, if R.A.M. had L.E.D.s, then screw it, I want all parts to have L.E.D.s.  Not enough bling bling in our computers.
Put led strips on the power cable!

darkknightkryta

Put led strips on the power cable!
Now you're talking!

the-pi-guy

So I have my laptop set to check a list of websites every 90 seconds.

If it's in stock it will beep and open chrome to the URL.  

Newegg got a hit.  8)

Only $3700.  

/s
I stopped using the tracker, but I'm trying to make a better one...

Figured out how to bypass Bestbuy's stuff.

Open up a google chrome browser, scan the data, close the browser.  The plan is perfect.

Go Up