MK8 sells 1.2 million opening weekend

Started by Legend, Jun 02, 2014, 06:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Jun 02, 2014, 06:17 PM Last Edit: Jun 02, 2014, 07:24 PM by Legend

2nd June 2014 - On 30th May, Mario Kart 8 for Wii U launched simultaneously around the world to global acclaim, garnering some of the strongest review scores in the history of the series. Following this, Nintendo has today reported that the game sold more than 1.2 million* total units across Japan, Europe and The Americas from Thursday, 29th May to Sunday, 1st June.**

"Such positive early feedback for Mario Kart 8 reinforces the great gameplay experiences that Wii U currently offers," said Nintendo of Europe president Satoru Shibata. "With Nintendo set to showcase its future releases at E3 next week, this is a great milestone going into the summer season."

Prior to Mario Kart 8, the seven titles that have launched previously in the series have combined to sell more than 100 million total units, an average of more than 14 million units per title. This includes two of the best-selling video games of all time: Mario Kart Wii for Wii and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS family of systems. The full list includes:

*Based on Nintendo's internal sales figures.

**Mario Kart 8 launched on Thursday, 29th May in Japan and Friday, 30th May across Europe and The Americas.

7H3

Great image! LOL
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

ethomaz

DAT attach rate.

Dr. Pezus

Reading the thread on VGC and most think this means VGC will show 1.2m FW...

1. This is more than FW sales (1 more day)
2. Includes digital
3. Might be shipped (although I think it's sold through+digital)

I'd say 900k-1m FW looks about right (retail)

Xevross

The WiiU is saved! Interesting that it loses to Watch dogs FW on PS4 alone. I was hoping Mario Kart could beat all individual Watch Dogs...

ethomaz

Full PR for OP.

2nd June 2014 - On 30th May, Mario Kart 8 for Wii U launched simultaneously around the world to global acclaim, garnering some of the strongest review scores in the history of the series. Following this, Nintendo has today reported that the game sold more than 1.2 million* total units across Japan, Europe and The Americas from Thursday, 29th May to Sunday, 1st June.**

"Such positive early feedback for Mario Kart 8 reinforces the great gameplay experiences that Wii U currently offers," said Nintendo of Europe president Satoru Shibata. "With Nintendo set to showcase its future releases at E3 next week, this is a great milestone going into the summer season."

Prior to Mario Kart 8, the seven titles that have launched previously in the series have combined to sell more than 100 million total units, an average of more than 14 million units per title. This includes two of the best-selling video games of all time: Mario Kart Wii for Wii and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS family of systems. The full list includes:

*Based on Nintendo's internal sales figures.

**Mario Kart 8 launched on Thursday, 29th May in Japan and Friday, 30th May across Europe and The Americas.

Legend

Full PR for OP.

I guess my image wasn't enough ahahah

7H3

great sales so far... I don't remember what I predicted for it but I'm sure it was over 1 mil

ethomaz

I guess my image wasn't enough ahahah

It was fine... just that if we will discuss about how many days and others things we need more data ;)

7H3

I don't have a Wii U but I am very excited to hear the game sold well! Hopefully it continues to do so and remains a system seller this holiday.

Ludicrous Speed

nice sales, game is good

Raven

A friend of mine just told me that 3 of his friends quite literally got into a fight over this game and are now not speaking to each other. They have even gone as far as to unfriend each other on their consoles. Lol I thought the whole "losing friends over Mario Kart" was a joke.

darkknightkryta

@Raven wow, I don't think I've ever gotten into a fight over a competitive game, let's say like Street Fighter.  That's intense.

Dr. Pezus

nice sales, game is good

Do you have it?
It's definitely the first game I'd get if I had a WiiU

Dr. Pezus

A friend of mine just told me that 3 of his friends quite literally got into a fight over this game and are now not speaking to each other. They have even gone as far as to unfriend each other on their consoles. Lol I thought the whole "losing friends over Mario Kart" was a joke.

I just can't understand it lol. Smash Bros I can, but MK just seems too cute to be angry over.