Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer (Nomura Is No Longer Directing)

Started by ethomaz, Sep 18, 2014, 01:17 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

darkknightkryta

In terms of starting

Old school  wise = FF1 and 2 Dawn of Souls (GBA) or FF1 Anniversary/FF2 Anniversary on PSP

2D wise = FFIV or FFVI (go retro SNES or PSX versions - avoid all others except for the PSP version of FFIV)

3D wise = FFVII or FFIX

Or you can try FFX/X-2 HD but warning it is linear in design dungeon wise and such - not that it is a issue - the presentation, OST, characters and gameplay system make up for it.

I would recommend XII if you loved MMOs but dont want to spend hours and subscription monies. XII was drop dead gorgeous (when I bought it back day 1 :P).

XIII/XIII-2 (cant say much about LR since I dont own it) are pretty good although I enjoyed XIII-2's gameplay system especially with the use of monsters as allies although I felt the cast of characters were weaker in a sense although FFXIII's character cast isnt so praise worthy (aside from Sazh of course).

----------

In comparison I started the FF series with FFIV back when it was known as FFII when I first rented it in 1993. My first actual purchase of the series wouldnt be until 2003 when I bought both FFIX and FFX when I bought my first playstation: PS2 :O - but I did play FFIV, FFV and FFVI beforehand the SNES versions of course.

Oh ya here's my current FF Score rating list :P

Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls (GBA): 83
Final Fantasy I Dawn of Souls (GBA): 82
Final Fantasy I Anniversary (PSP): 85
Final Fantasy II Dawn of Souls (GBA): 83
Final Fantasy II Anniversary (PSP): 85
Final Fantasy III (NES): 80
Final Fantasy IV (PSP): 94
Final Fantasy IV After Years/Prologue (PSP): 88
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection (PSP): 91
Final Fantasy VI (SNES): 95
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core (PSP): 93
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3): 88
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3): 86
Final Fantasy Dissidia (PSP): 100
Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 (PSP): 96
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX): 94
Bravely Default (3DS): 95

^ There's other games I finished in the series - but I only started rating after 2010 but ya these are all the FF games I played starting in 2010 :P

Don't listen to Basil, he didn't put the best FF in there, which is 8.  So he's automatically wrong on everything.

Raven

Don't listen to Basil, he didn't put the best FF in there, which is 8.  So he's automatically wrong on everything.

Final Fantasy 8 was great but it was the low point for Final Fantasy on the original PlayStation.

darkknightkryta

Final Fantasy 8 was great but it was the low point for Final Fantasy on the original PlayStation.

Not even, it was the pinnacle XD.  Seriously though, all around the game had the best stat system, and probably the most fleshed out "world".

Raven

Not even, it was the pinnacle XD.  Seriously though, all around the game had the best stat system, and probably the most fleshed out "world".

Lol no baby, no. Final Fantasy VII had a much better and more memorable story while Final Fantasy IX had a better combat system.

darkknightkryta

Lol no baby, no. Final Fantasy VII had a much better and more memorable story while Final Fantasy IX had a better combat system.

Nah bra.  Story in VIII was way more emotional.  FF 7's story was just emo.  I never said FF8's "combat" was the best, just its level/stat system.  Though the games play the same up until 9 anyways, they just add some variations.  Though I actually like 7's combat best.  They give you a lot of options to play around with, even more so than 9.

Raven

fudge yo stats, fool.

the-pi-guy

You can also do this too.

darkknightkryta

^^What does that mean?  Everyone involved in the game is gone?  Is Toriyama and Kitase gone too?  Like that grammar is terrible.

the-pi-guy

^^What does that mean?  Everyone involved in the game is gone?  Is Toriyama and Kitase gone too?  Like that grammar is terrible.

Not sure what you mean.  The grammar is okay. 
Just read it again.

darkknightkryta

Not sure what you mean.  The grammar is okay. 
Just read it again.

"Worth noting - the Directors who've left a main-line FF game in progress in the past"
This line here is ambiguous.  Does it mean all main line ff games?  Which FF games were left in progress?  All games are in progress until they reach gold status, does that mean all FF directors are gone?  I heard no news of Kitase leaving and he directed FF 7,8 and 10 nor of Toriyama.

"have all been gone from SE in general within 24 months."
This line doesn't make grammatical sense.  "Have all been gone" infers that they were gone but come back since "been" is a past tense verb.  They've been gone, thus are coming back in 24 months?

the-pi-guy

On second thought DKK, you are overthinking it. 

"Worth noting - the Directors who've left a main-line FF game in progress in the past"
This line here is ambiguous.  Does it mean all main line ff games?  Which FF games were left in progress?  All games are in progress until they reach gold status, does that mean all FF directors are gone?  I heard no news of Kitase leaving and he directed FF 7,8 and 10 nor of Toriyama.

Don't see what you mean here though.  [Basically if a director left a game before it went gold of a main line FF game]
Game development line
[-------------------------------------[director leaves]----------------[gold]]

"have all been gone from SE in general within 24 months."
This line doesn't make grammatical sense.  "Have all been gone" infers that they were gone but come back since "been" is a past tense verb.  They've been gone, thus are coming back in 24 months?

"Have all left SE within 24 months."
I see what you are saying here.  The "in general" is annoying to read, and putting past and present tense in the same sentence is difficult to understand. 

With that said though, doing a little research, I'm not sure who he refers to.  Did anyone leave a mainline FF game during development? 

darkknightkryta

On second thought DKK, you are overthinking it. 
Don't see what you mean here though.  [Basically if a director left a game before it went gold of a main line FF game]
Game development line
[-------------------------------------[director leaves]----------------[gold]]

"Have all left SE within 24 months."
I see what you are saying here.  The "in general" is annoying to read, and putting past and present tense in the same sentence is difficult to understand. 

With that said though, doing a little research, I'm not sure who he refers to.  Did anyone leave a mainline FF game during development? 

Yeah the top is worded poorly.  The entire tweet should read "Any  FF director leaving midway during development has been released within 24 months". 

Though the only director that comes to mind is Yasumi Matsuo who directed Final Fantasy XII.  But, there's no way to know for sure why he was taken off the project.  They cited health reasons for him leaving mid way and I see no reason to believe other wise.  He did iindeed leave, but I think it was more than 2 years after the game released since he went on to work on the Tactics Ogre remake for PSP (Buy it everyone).  He left after finishing up that title to work at Level 5.  He finished up there and went back to Square from what I heard.  Not sure about the other directors, but Sakaguchi was deeply involved in every Final Fantasy game up to 7 (He left mid way through developing 8 to work on the movie).  So I'm not sure if there was a "main" director so to speak up until 8.

Raven

BasilZero

Sep 20, 2014, 01:31 PM Last Edit: Sep 20, 2014, 01:33 PM by BasilZero

Best FF? You are kidding me lol.

But no the reason why I didnt post it is because I finished FFVIII back in 2004 or 2005 and I didnt start reviewing/making scores till 2010.

I have the Steam version of FFVIII and I plan to score that :P.

Anyways - FFVIII's Story, Characters and Music were all great but the gameplay was horrible.

FFVIII for the PSX is the same as FFV is for the SNES - worst in the trilogy of a generation. But that isnt saying the game is completely garbage as I've said the above aspects are good.

The gameplay system however was garbage imo - especially the leveling up and the stat system. The fact that you have to make 2 characters high lv and have a low priority lv character due to the fact that the enemy level rounds up and averages to the overall party level is really annoying and much more of a grind than actual grinding in dungeon crawlers. The fact that they have a "De-Level Up" ability speaks volumes for that.

Also the game is so anti-magic - you cant use the best spells to attack enemies but have to equip them to increase your stats - if you use the equipped spells your stats get lower.

Also you cant grind for cash but you gotta do tests to get a higher rank in SeeD in order to get more monies randomly? wat.

Also the combat is dang slow as hell - just like Final Fantasy V's combat speed which was horrid slow.

For a person who loves difficulty I guess its fine for them but for me I want to enjoy the gameplay in its core and enjoy the story, music and atmosphere - thats why I play RPGs. The gameplay is essential but FFVIII's mechanics do not help it lol.

Anyways if I was to give a guess of what score I would give FFVIII it would probably be in the lower 80s rather than anything less - the game is GOOD but not great or bad.

P.S. Kryta-Kun - I would put FFXIII above FFVIII in my favorites for the FF series :P

Dr. Pezus

Better quality
t=1355

This looks really incredible!

Go Up