PS4 Neo exists because PlayStation VR 'was going to be truly awful' on launch consoles says developer

Started by the-pi-guy, May 26, 2016, 04:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ps4-neo-exists-because-playstation-vr-was-going-be-truly-awful-launch-consoles-says-developer-1562122

An anonymous industry insider has stated that the PlayStation 4 Neo - Sony's widely-known but not-yet officially announced PS4 hardware revision - exists because the company's PlayStation VR (PSVR) headset "was going to be terrible" on launch PS4s.

The comments were made by a chief technical officer (CTO) working in the industry, talking to Edge Magazine in their latest issue. In issue 294, the source states: "PSVR was going to be terrible on a [launch] PS4. It was going to be truly awful. Something a bit more powerful starts to bring VR into range. If you want to deal with crazy requirements for performance in VR, you absolutely have to do this."

It's not clear whether the source's use of "was" is referring to the older console now that PlayStation Neo is a reality, or refers to problems Sony has had getting PSVR to work on the consoles they first launched in 2013.

Talking about the Neo from a technical standpoint, the CTO says: "I'm not interested in marketing strategies or adoption rates or whatever. I'm not considering that. But as someone who does the technology for video games, somebody doubling my GPU and adding 30% CPU is brilliant. I'd love that every two years. I'd love it every six months, if possible. All I want is the most powerful hardware that I can get my hands on."

Another Edge source, who is lead designer at a European studio, says: "There hasn't been a real outcry for more power, apart from developers making VR stuff - and those are weighted more heavily at the moment. VR is the most exciting development in the industry right now, and if it's here to stay then there will be a lot of demand for more powerful hardware."

Aura7541

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Developer: PS4 Neo exists because PVR was going to be truly awful on launch consoles

Quote from: DemonNite
lol

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Developer: PS4 Neo exists because PVR was going to be truly awful on launch consoles

Quote from: Matt
PSVR is fine on the regular PS4. Obviously things look better on Neo, but considering the performance requirements, the actual experience is largely the same.

Legend

the-pi-guy

The gaf thread is funny, because half the people are like "duh" "obviously" and the other half are like "that makes no fricken sense."

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Developer: PS4 Neo exists because PVR was going to be truly awful on launch consoles

Originally Posted by LeleSocho

The denial and the exaggerations built on top of that in this thread is hilarious to be honest.
 People really want to believe that their PS4 will be a good VR machine.

/

the-pi-guy

Aura7541

I find it funny that the writer decided to publish this article after the PSVR has already received a lot of press and public feedback.

the-pi-guy

I find it funny that the writer decided to publish this article after the PSVR has already received a lot of press and public feedback.
Clearly those PS4's that people (for the past year-ish) were using were actually PS4 neos.