RUMOR: Xbox 1, Xbox 2 and Xbox E3

Started by ethomaz, May 25, 2016, 02:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

DerNebel

Yeah Polygon's information doesn't feel as reliable as everyone else's.

Aside from the announcement timing I could see this being true actually, but this whole slew of leaks we got today just paint a weird picture to me. 3 new Xbox SKUs in the next 1 1/2 years? As well as apparently full integration with Windows 10 of everything Xbox? An Xbox One that's 4 times as powerful as the current console? How is that worth it, if you still have to support the original Xbox One? I guess they are going full on Steambox with Xbox, but what's the point of having Xbox consoles then in the first place?

Though I can kinda see why this rumour is escaping some of the same criticism the PS4k has gotten at the moment, the PS4 already is the strongest console on the market, so owners don't feel like they needed anything stronger. The X1 is weaker than the PS4 and we're constantly reminded of that, so maybe core Xbox fans are more open to a stronger Xbox One to get away from that stigma of having the weaker console.

Legend

Aside from the announcement timing I could see this being true actually, but this whole slew of leaks we got today just paint a weird picture to me. 3 new Xbox SKUs in the next 1 1/2 years? As well as apparently full integration with Windows 10 of everything Xbox? An Xbox One that's 4 times as powerful as the current console? How is that worth it, if you still have to support the original Xbox One? I guess they are going full on Steambox with Xbox, but what's the point of having Xbox consoles then in the first place?

Though I can kinda see why this rumour is escaping some of the same criticism the PS4k has gotten at the moment, the PS4 already is the strongest console on the market, so owners don't feel like they needed anything stronger. The X1 is weaker than the PS4 and we're constantly reminded of that, so maybe core Xbox fans are more open to a stronger Xbox One to get away from that stigma of having the weaker console.
A 6 teraflop XBOX is believable, but the whole article is odd to me.

Original source said Early 2017 while this is late 2017. Plus we have Shinobi saying PS4k is skipping E3 yet Polygon is saying Sony is forcing Microsoft to announce 1.5 asap, might even be before E3. Also I find it odd that multiple sources are leaking the same thing yet Polygon is the only one confirming teraflops, yet at the same time they can't be specific.

IMO it feels like they're just jumping on the bandwagon.

Legend

May 25, 2016, 10:36 PM Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:44 PM by Legend

Aura7541

I feel that the power difference won't make much of a difference. Plus, if the Scorpio isn't significantly more powerful than the Neo if there's a 1-year gap, then something is wrong.

The major difference I see between the Neo and Scorpio is the software support, both 1st and 3rd party-wise. Sony's first party studios such as Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, and Guerilla Games have strong resumes, though their timeliness leaves something to be desired. The PS4 also gets exponentially more support from Japanese developers. Microsoft doesn't have as many 1st party studios, where three of them are stuck with Halo, Forza, and Gears. Rare is unproven, though it can possibly take off if Sea of Thieves does well. Going with the 2nd party route could help, but results will vary, as we saw with Quantum Break.

The Scorpio being more powerful than the Neo isn't going to convince Japanese developers to make games for the former nor does it solve Microsoft's 1st party problem. Having the worse-performing multiplats was not the XB1's biggest problem nor was it even a big problem.

BasilZero

I guess thats one way to make "Xbox" a family home name.

Mass release multiple iterations of it as separate services and products lol.

DerNebel

Ok, I was wrong. People aren't overly positive about this on reddit after all.

kitler53

Ok, I was wrong. People aren't overly positive about this on reddit after all.
what are they saying?

in general i kind of think this is okay.  i think ms needs to be careful on how they introduce the "pc xbox".   i'm not sure that console guys want a pc or that pc guys want a console.  that will be an interesting marketing message to me.  the slim and 1.5 and 2 should probably be one device,.. that's too many revisions within a year.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

DerNebel

what are they saying?

in general i kind of think this is okay.  i think ms needs to be careful on how they introduce the "pc xbox".   i'm not sure that console guys want a pc or that pc guys want a console.  that will be an interesting marketing message to me.  the slim and 1.5 and 2 should probably be one device,.. that's too many revisions within a year.
Pretty much the same thing people said about the PS4k, early adopters are left with the shaming version of the system, they might as well just get a PC if they have to update every couple years anyway etc.

the-pi-guy

This sounds awful.  

Legend

This sounds awful.  
Sounds great for me personally since I've yet to buy an xbo. Now I don't have too  ;D

darkknightkryta

Sounds great for me personally since I've yet to buy an xbo. Now I don't have too  ;D
You still won't have to ;)

Legend

Developer: We’re working on an Xbox One VR game for 2017 (via Ars) - NeoGAF

Ars can confirm that at least one major developer is currently planning to release a new virtual reality game on the Xbox One in 2017 and plans to show that game at E3. The news lends credence to multiple recent reports suggesting Microsoft is planning a more powerful, VR-compatible Xbox One for 2017.

More fuel on the fire here at ARS And if you missed them:Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17Kotaku: XB1 Slim 2016, More Powerful XB1 Scorpio/VR 2017, iterative boxes from now on

Ludicrous Speed

This E3 will be amazing if only for all the rumors and speculation. If all this is true then MS's conference will be a must see. This seems like a whole new console.

DerNebel

This E3 will be amazing if only for all the rumors and speculation. If all this is true then MS's conference will be a must see. This seems like a whole new console.
Non of this screams must see or much less must own to me. And the thing that'd be closest to that (the Scorpio) has no reason to be announced at this show anyway.

Raven

It'll be a must see if they show a bunch of new and exciting games that we aren't made to wait a year or more to get any real info on or more than a CGI trailer. Not sure how great it will be, nor how new it will feel, to show a more powerful version of the console that is a year and a half away, with an unknown price tag, a $600 VR headset, and none of its own actual exclusive titles.

Go Up