DOOM Review Thread: 85 OC (84 Reviews) 85 MC (60 Reviews)

Started by ethomaz, May 16, 2016, 12:55 AM

previous topic - next topic

ethomaz

Legend

BTW I will buy DOOM.

You should too.
Yeah these past few days have been golden for marketing. I had zero interest in playing the game but now I'm pretty tempted.

ethomaz

Yeah these past few days have been golden for marketing. I had zero interest in playing the game but now I'm pretty tempted.
GAF sold it to me and I can't hold myself... the deadline is Platinum U4... after that Doom is mine.

Raven

The campaign is awesome so far. A lot of secrets to find. The levels aren't too complicated if you're just interested in completing the game but if you want all the upgrades then you have to spend time looking around. The weapons are very satisfying, for the most part. The plasma gun is very effective but it's the one gun that doesn't feel good to shoot. Like it's too neat and clean compared to the other weapons. The different modifications and alternate fire modes you can give them keep the weapons feeling fresh and versatile. The game is definitely fast paced. Trading shots is a very bad idea. Even weak enemies can ruin your day if you don't take them seriously enough. You want to keep moving and those melee Glory Kills become really important to get health back.

It looks gorgeous, too. Even on consoles it looks so good and runs very smoothly. You also don't just upgrade your weapons. You upgrade your suit in three different ways. Find dead Elite Guards to earn points to give upgrades to things like equipment recharge time or less explosive damage taken. Find Argent Energy to upgrade maximum health, armor, or ammo storage. You can also complete Rune Challenges that will unlock Runes you can equip for improvements like gaining a speed boost after a Glory Kill or increasing the range at which you can pick up items. The atmosphere is definitely a horror vibe but it's not the same as Doom 3. That game was trying to creep you out, jump scare you, and just generally make you feel like a mere mortal trying to survive in a dangerous place. This new Doom tries to make you feel like a badass. A one-man army in an asskicking contest with the forces of Hell desperately throwing everything they can at you to try and stop you.

This is honestly the most fun I've had in the campaign of an FPS title in a long time.

BananaKing

i hope it stays in the 80's range. its a fantastic game, fudge the haters!!

i am just playing the multiplayer so far, and i am addicted. its amazing. i will play the single player once i am finished with uncharted 4. i cant wait to try it.

This is honestly the most fun I've had in the campaign of an FPS title in a long time.
Farcry 4 baby!!!

question, i did try a few minutes of single player when my brothers friend was playing it, it had some serious screen tear issues, but it was before i stalled the day one patch (5gb). after the patch, are the issues still there?

Legend

ethomaz

Is there a reason it's only getting average reviews?
Last reviews was 100, 90, 90, 86 and 85... it got up from 76 to 79 in Meta.

BTW MP seems to be average... that is what is dropping points in reviews.

Raven

i hope it stays in the 80's range. its a fantastic game, fudge the haters!!

i am just playing the multiplayer so far, and i am addicted. its amazing. i will play the single player once i am finished with uncharted 4. i cant wait to try it.
Farcry 4 baby!!!

question, i did try a few minutes of single player when my brothers friend was playing it, it had some serious screen tear issues, but it was before i stalled the day one patch (5gb). after the patch, are the issues still there?
No fudges given for Far Cry.

BananaKing

Is there a reason it's only getting average reviews?
because loadouts are evil and taunts are bad. the very very sad thing here is that nobody is arguing about the gameplay being great, they all seem to agree, but because the game cant meet the impossible standards set by their own selfs, they decided the game was shame.

having played BO3 for a long period of time, and having played Doom multiplayer for 5 hours in the beta, and roughly 6 hours in the final game so far, i can honestly tell you that doom nuggets all over BO3 when it comes to gameplay, skill and even weapons (BO3 has a lot more yes, but Doom's weapons all feel different and are way more balanced). but you have the "elitist" gamer mentality strongly sweeping in here, demanding the game to be exactly how a very few want it to be,  just because.

Raven

Open Critic score now up to 82. Took a few great scores for the game to bounce back from Digitally Downloaded shitting all over it. Scores like that on a robust game with no technical issues that looks beautiful and runs at top framerate make me sick. Because you just have to know that the person who reviewed it so low had an irrational dislike of the game. Likely before it even released.

Raven

Doom up to 83 on OC now.

82 on Meta.

BananaKing

83 on meta with 29 reviews, still a lot of reviews to go, but hopefully it can hold.

BananaKing

Raven

but IGN's fudgy score of 7.1 will hurt the score a lot.

Was already counted on Open Critic and the PC version for Metacritic other reviews have been added since then.