Pachter: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Oct 13, 2014, 10:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

DD_Bwest

so according to pach the xb1 sold 70k more than tf month... lol

Raven

Oct 14, 2014, 12:03 AM Last Edit: Oct 14, 2014, 12:07 AM by Raven

so according to pach the xb1 sold 70k more than tf month... lol

Yes. Pachter's "reasoning" is that the Madden bundle and the free game deal clinched it for Microsoft to the tune of 75k more X1's than PS4's. Here are the problems with that. First, the Madden bundle would not have sold that well during the second month and a month in which a game with huge hype was launching. It didn't even do that well in its first month with nothing big releasing. The Madden bundle would not have been a factor. It dropped off the online charts rather quickly.

Second, the free game deal did not allow Destiny to be sold with it at certain stores or areas as reported by some people on GAF. Given that Titanfall, an insanely hyped game that was being given away for free and not available on the PS4, failed to win March for the X1, and failed to do so by a surprising margin, I can't see any good reason to suspect that a game being heavily marketed towards the PS4 while also being in a bundle that became quite popular would somehow push X1 sales above the PS4 and with that much of a margin.

Third, as I said in a previous post, the numbers for September have to include the three full months the Destiny bundle was selling prior to launch. A bundle which, by itself, was beating the X1 easily on the biggest online retailer as well as the online store of the biggest dedicated video game store in the US. Then when you include the fact that the standard PS4 package was doing even better it makes it almost comical for anyone to "predict" that the X1 not only won September in the US but beat the PS4 by that many consoles. There is something seriously wrong with Pachter on this one and I think it finally shows for certain how out of touch he actually is with what's going on in the market.

ethomaz

DD_Bwest

Yes. Pachter's "reasoning" is that the Madden bundle and the free game deal clinched it for Microsoft to the tune of 75k more X1's than PS4's. Here are the problems with that. First, the Madden bundle would not have sold that well during the second month and a month in which a game with huge hype was launching. It didn't even do that well in its first month with nothing big releasing. The Madden bundle would not have been a factor. It dropped off the online charts rather quickly.

Second, the free game deal did not allow Destiny to be sold with it at certain stores or areas as reported by some people on GAF. Given that Titanfall, an insanely hyped game that was being given away for free and not available on the PS4, failed to win March for the X1, and failed to do so by a surprising margin, I can't see any good reason to suspect that a game being heavily marketed towards the PS4 while also being in a bundle that became quite popular would somehow push X1 sales above the PS4 and with that much of a margin.

Third, as I said in a previous post, the numbers for September have to include the three full months the Destiny bundle was selling prior to launch. A bundle which, by itself, was beating the X1 easily on the biggest online retailer as well as the online store of the biggest dedicated video game store in the US. Then when you include the fact that the standard PS4 package was doing even better it makes it almost comical for anyone to "predict" that the X1 not only won September in the US but beat the PS4 by that many consoles. There is something seriously wrong with Pachter on this one and I think it finally shows for certain how out of touch he actually is with what's going on in the market.
all sum'd up very well.   this prediction of his just doesnt make any sense at all.  and his reasoning is so flawed its a bit sad.   although itll be hard for him to be even further off than his TF guess lol

Raven

all sum'd up very well.   this prediction of his just doesnt make any sense at all.  and his reasoning is so flawed its a bit sad.   although itll be hard for him to be even further off than his TF guess lol

At this point, to call Pachter an analyst is an insult to gamers.

DD_Bwest

At this point, to call Pachter an analyst is an insult to gamers.
I completely agree.  ive heard people say that he doesnt care about predictions and hes hired to enturpret results.   but if one cant even come up with projections that are remotely close, how can anything trust him to help look at sales data

Dr. Pezus

I wonder if pach even looks at sales charts

BananaKing

LOL no.

The PS4 Destiny bundle was shown to consistently outsell the X1 month to month on both Amazon and Gamestop's online store. The September NPD for the PS4 must count all PS4 Destiny bundle sales from June to September. Three full months of pre-orders before the package actually launched. That's not even including the fact that the PS4 standard package was still shown to be outselling the X1 at both of those online stores as well and not by a small margin. This is an utterly ridiculous estimation by Pachter if true. Though let's be honest here, even VGC has been better at estimating sales than Wedbush.

whats also funny is that he expects PS4 to have the same weekly average in September that it had in August with the xbox one doubling its sales. lol.

ethomaz

I believe Pachter is trolling lol.

Max King of the Wild

Only one will sell over 100M. You need to dominate in Us and have a strong global presence for that and Xbox doesn't have strong global presence. (or absolutely dominate globally and have a strong US presence like ps4).

Max King of the Wild

I also love the justification with "two free games for a week" cool.... Bro.... But what about the other four?

Dr. Pezus

Pach can't be this stupid

Go Up