New Star Citizen tech demo fails to impress

Started by Legend, Oct 22, 2023, 04:46 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I'll switch to an official upload once it's available.

No idea how much of it is the rest of the industry progressing, me personally programing better tech, and/or star citizen regressing for various reasons, but this did not impress me at all compared to their previous demos. The world looks fun and I loved the cloud city but so much of the tech stuff is funky.

My favorite is that at 18:34 the npc just casually walks into the fire. Everyone else on the ship looks stupid too.

Generic complaints are are ugly clouds, the planets are supper small, all the textures look ugly from space, and there is a lot of pop in.

My digital foundry level complaints are:
At 6:47 the grass clumps right in front of the camera are floating way above the ground. The clump is just a disc and it doesn't adjust to the ground.
At 9:30 those planetary rings are super poorly done. Maybe it's because the planets are micro sized but Elite in 2014 did it so much better.
At 15:26 his head and body meshes are zoomed in full screen yet there's an obvious seam between them.
At 15:59 the NPC pathing is really bad. One just slides to the right.
At 22:36 the two ships collide and pop apart like legos. "REALTIME WATER INTERACTION EFFECTS" is on screen yet nothing interacts with the water.
At 23:02 it's zoomed in on blood that's flickering in and out.
At 23:11 the lighting completely changes directions, giant glare pops into the water.

I know past demos had minor issues like the above but this just felt so much more extreme. The demo multiple times is zoomed in on a feature to show it off, only for said feature to be glitched in some way.

Legend

Tech talk. I'll have to watch later.

Legend

The tech talk made some stuff look great like water, cloth, and hair physics but other things stayed funky. Their global illumination system has a lot of ugly noise in their clips of it.

Legend

Official upload. They spent a month fixing and hiding pretty much every glitch/oversite I noticed, nice. It has a few new ones but it's looking a lot more polished.