General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

yeah this one I got on contract for 2 years is around $35 a month.

the-pi-guy

Someone in another country signed into my Hulu.  

Seems about the time to change the password....  

Legend

Someone in another country signed into my Hulu.  

Seems about the time to change the password....  
I kinda feel like I should start using a password manager. My important passwords are randomly generated and stored on paper but everything else is fairly vulnerable.

the-pi-guy

I kinda feel like I should start using a password manager. My important passwords are randomly generated and stored on paper but everything else is fairly vulnerable.
I found out one of my first accounts was part of a data breach a while ago.  But I hadn't gotten around to changing the couple of accounts that had the same details. But finding out someone signed in, was definitely motivation to change it. :P

Most of my passwords are stored on paper.  

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

I had a dream that I was buying original Pokemon games with two of my friends.  There was a game store that was filled with game boy games and accessories.  Twas awesome.  

Also had a dream that I was a cashier and someone was trying to buy a bunch of stuff, but they were apparently using fake checks or something so i had to put the stuff back.

Also had a dream that I had a Nintendo switch.  Was playing a very strange Mario game.  Was able to plant and water stuff. Was like a huge adventure x farming game or something.

Legend

Dr. Pezus

Legend

The top post is amazing though
Prequel memes are the best.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

It kind of amazes me how clueless some people are about how some things work.  

Some people think that the scanner when you are ringing up items, also deactivates the alarm thing.  They also seem to think it's on every item.  
I've had several people make comments like "please scan our case of water.  Don't need the alarm going off."

Just one example I'm thinking of right now.  

Legend

It kind of amazes me how clueless some people are about how some things work.  

Some people think that the scanner when you are ringing up items, also deactivates the alarm thing.  They also seem to think it's on every item.  
I've had several people make comments like "please scan our case of water.  Don't need the alarm going off."

Just one example I'm thinking of right now.  
I remember thinking that when I was younger haha.

It's kinda crazy that companies don't have better tech solutions to fight theft. Would save so much money to have RFID tags in everything. Heck my local library even does this!

All the books are just normal books but the barcodes double as RFID tags. After scanning your library card at the self checkout machine, you just set the whole stack of books/movies down on the "table" and they're all checked out just like that.

If a store wanted to go all in on this, they could cheaply position scanners throughout the whole building and track every single item in real time. The computer would alert a human if a tracker drops off the grid or is picked up at the exit. Easy peasy.

the-pi-guy

I remember thinking that when I was younger haha.

It's kinda crazy that companies don't have better tech solutions to fight theft. Would save so much money to have RFID tags in everything. Heck my local library even does this!
It'll get there eventually I'm sure.

A lot of the electronics that the store uses are pretty old. 
My store literally had an old monitor (natural reference picture  ;D  )
Vintage CRT computer monitor with black screen isolated on white background Stock Photo - 113609979
That was used for the front desk.  Even had the login screen burned into it.   

It only got replaced like a year ago.  There's still an older TV that shows the Electronics department.  It actually has the aisles burned into it.

There have been a lot of updates recently.  Especially the scanners.  Now they are more like mobile phones that connect to the store's wifi. 

These were the old ones.

These are the new ones

Zebra TC70 Touch Computer - TC700H-KC11ES-IA

the-pi-guy

Something to add, a lot of people think that the check reader reads the whole check.  

Xevross

Something to add, a lot of people think that the check reader reads the whole check.  
The what now who?

Go Up