Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida has said the company’s planned acquisition of Bungie “represents a major step forward in becoming more multiplatform”

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, May 18, 2022, 03:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I still think it's a really stupid strategy unless they believe platform royalties are going to be made illegal. Their pr always presents this as money left on the table, but it ignores the billions of dollars they make every year from 3rd party games being bought on playstation.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here:

As it stands, something like 15-20% of games sold on PlayStation are first party. They make higher margins on those games. Further market consolidation is going to increase that, either through more games becoming first party or potentially skipping the platform entirely.
In a world where your games make up the vast majority of the money you're making, I think it starts to make more sense to start making that money in as many as places as you can.

And it might be a case where they see lower revenue, but higher profits.

It's also possible that they can pull off third party revenue and first party games every where. In a lot of countries, PlayStation is pretty much the de facto console.

I think there are a lot of unknowns overall. We're in uncharted territory for the gaming industry. First parties are growing at a rate we've never seen before. Companies are throwing billions of dollars at each other. We're seeing first party cross lines (Sony on Xbox/Switch, Xbox on PS/Switch).