Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

7H3

Speed itself is relative. Like right now I'm going 0 mph relative to the Earth, but say 30,000 mph relative to the Sun. Without a reference point, you can't have speed.

So you could say you're going 30 trillion miles per second right now.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

darkknightkryta

Yeah apparently nasa is working on creating a warp drive that could essential fold space time in front and behind them to propel them faster than speed of light.  I don't think it necessarily would be going faster than speed of light though.  nuggets so confusing to me.

And the first part to your post is so confusing.  Makes no sense to me.  I'd be even more confused if the answer was yes one would be going fast than speed of light. 

This is actually how space travel works in Star Trek.  As I've stated, you can't move any object at the speed of light, but that doesn't mean space can't.  So if you bend space you create a warp bubble around an object where space is moving faster than light, but your object is essentially stationary.

On another note, I seem to recall Light being at C in a vacuum regardless of relativity.

NeverDies

I just wanna know if there's any weird alterations to the way physics function if you were to blast off towards the center of the universe, in essence slowing down. Just would be interesting if matter reacts differently if it isn't moving.

Especially if it was also cooled to absolute zero.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

darkknightkryta

I just wanna know if there's any weird alterations to the way physics function if you were to blast off towards the center of the universe, in essence slowing down. Just would be interesting if matter reacts differently if it isn't moving.

Especially if it was also cooled to absolute zero.

There is no center of the universe :O

Raven

Absolute zero does not occur naturally from what we've seen and even though man-made attempts have gone below the coldest temperatures known to naturally occur we still have not achieved absolute zero. It is, by our current understanding, impossible.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I thought absolute zero is impossible to recreate on earth because the object your freezing always has to touch something, which creates heat. But it occurs in space, or something...

Raven

I thought absolute zero is impossible to recreate on earth because the object your freezing always has to touch something, which creates heat. But it occurs in space, or something...

No. Even the coldest areas we've seen in space do not hit absolute zero. We've been closer to creating absolute zero than nature has but we still can't achieve it.

Mmm_fish_tacos

That we've seen. That doesn't really mean it can't happen.  After all we haven't found the end of it yet. Which would be the coldest. And we never will.

Raven

That we've seen. That doesn't really mean it can't happen.  After all we haven't found the end of it yet. Which would be the coldest. And we never will.

Absolute zero is only a theoretical temperature. Like I said, our current understanding is that it can't happen. If we were to witness absolute zero it would force us to rethink certain areas of physics. It's not about where we look. It's about the laws of physics as we've defined them essentially not allowing it within our universe.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Ill have to Google bill nie, I remember he talked about it when I was a kid.

the-pi-guy

Mmm_fish_tacos

the-pi-guy

Is that it Pi? It's not loading on my phone... :(

No, it's a different video. 
I can't find a good Bill Nye video about it. 

Mmm_fish_tacos

Who's it about? It's not that I don't believe raven, it's just I learned it from bill, I can't ever recall talking about absolute zero in school. So I wanted to know what he said about it at the time.

the-pi-guy

Who's it about? It's not that I don't believe raven, it's just I learned it from bill, I can't ever recall talking about absolute zero in school. So I wanted to know what he said about it at the time.

It's a cartoon.  :P

Go Up