AI General Thread

Started by Legend, Dec 05, 2022, 04:35 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I've never understood the trouble people have had with accepting determinism. Sure you're just a result of conditioning, so what? You can still live your life the exact same way, free will and all, regardless of the technicalities behind the scenes.
I think the trouble is that determinism is usually put at odds to free will.  As in we're robots just following our predetermined programming, and not making any real choices for ourselves.

But I think it's really a complicated mess of both.

Legend

I think the trouble is that determinism is usually put at odds to free will.  As in we're robots just following our predetermined programming, and not making any real choices for ourselves.

But I think it's really a complicated mess of both.
But even if we're robots, does that eliminate free will from our perspective? Every choice we'd still need to think through and judge based off our morals.

Because it makes us feel sad.  We want to feel exceptional even if its not true.  We want to believe in gods that created us with purpose even if its BS.
I'm religious, but yeah lol people don't like feeling sad or average.

the-pi-guy

But even if we're robots, does that eliminate free will from our perspective? Every choice we'd still need to think through and judge based off our morals.
There seem to be different takes depending on how strictly one defines free will vs determinism.

Determinism is frequently not taken as simply conditioning, but entirely that every single choice made is perfectly predictable. As in there's not really any choices being made.

the-pi-guy

Legend

I'm pretty sure I posted my thoughts about that back when bing's AI integration was first announced, but that's an incredibly good thing. The click=revenue model has been horrendous for society and needs to be killed. Eliminating that while subscriptions/patreon keep funding original content would be pretty amazing. Not without its own negatives, but still far far better.

Legend

NUWA-Infinity

11 minute flintstone "cartoon" generated by AI from Microsoft. Not worth watching, it has no dialogue.

There seem to be different takes depending on how strictly one defines free will vs determinism.

Determinism is frequently not taken as simply conditioning, but entirely that every single choice made is perfectly predictable. As in there's not really any choices being made.
I still believe in regular life free will even in the strong form of determinism. My choices may be perfectly predictable to a machine with enough resources, but I'm still having to independently make those choices. It's pretty similar to a dice roll that is deterministic from a technical sense yet essentially just random. The underlying mechanism is irrelevant unless its being manipulated.

Legend

the-pi-guy

I still believe in regular life free will even in the strong form of determinism. My choices may be perfectly predictable to a machine with enough resources, but I'm still having to independently make those choices. It's pretty similar to a dice roll that is deterministic from a technical sense yet essentially just random. The underlying mechanism is irrelevant unless its being manipulated.
I think some people have a view of freewill as being able to make indeterministic choices. So therefore determinism is inherently opposed to it. ;)

Legend

I think some people have a view of freewill as being able to make indeterministic choices. So therefore determinism is inherently opposed to it. ;)
I just fundamentally disagree with them. The experienced phenomenon is all that matters. If its emergent or innate is a debate of mechanism only.

the-pi-guy

The experienced phenomenon is all that matters. If its emergent or innate is a debate of mechanism only.
And some people fundamentally disagree with this.
;D

Legend

And some people fundamentally disagree with this.
;D
If gravity ends up being an emergent phenomenon, will those people be surprised they can't suddenly fly?

(we obviously reached the conclusion of this debate a few posts ago lol)

the-pi-guy

If gravity ends up being an emergent phenomenon, will those people be surprised they can't suddenly fly?

I think it's that some people view the ability to make those choices, as part of what makes life meaningful. Our choices are free and therefore meaningful, therefore the sum of them is meaningful.

But many people find meaning in life regardless of whether those choices are free or emergent.

So to me right now, it feels like it doesn't matter.

(we obviously reached the conclusion of this debate a few posts ago lol)
It's a weird conversation on my side, because I'm not really putting in my own views.

kitler53

Mar 24, 2023, 06:36 PM Last Edit: Mar 24, 2023, 06:47 PM by Legend
listen guys,.. there is no free will and the proof is simple.  i have no choice but to post a picture sexy picture of nina.  i literally HAVE to.

Mod Edit-I had no choice either!

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

It's kinda incredible how AI tries to make sense of even the most stupid prompts. Vin Diesel showering while vacuuming for example.

Legend

You'd think a bunch of "programmers" on reddit would understand large language models better. Reddit - Dive into anything

This simpson's pic with text is fake yet so many people think it's a database that copy and pastes answers.
Facepalm Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com

Go Up