Is Sony actually the most likely to go 3rd party?

Started by Dr. Pezus, Jan 21, 2022, 05:36 PM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

Many of us have thought Microsoft will ultimately go third-party or at least drop hardware for the most part for their Gamepass service. But, is Sony actually more likely to do that, now that they're losing major 3rd parties left and right?

I'm beginning to think so.

nnodley

Jan 21, 2022, 05:38 PM Last Edit: Jan 21, 2022, 06:17 PM by nnodley
Many of us have thought Microsoft will ultimately go third-party or at least drop hardware for the most part for their Gamepass service. But, is Sony actually more likely to do that, now that they're losing major 3rd parties left and right?

I'm beginning to think so.
I mean they are starting to put exclusives on PC so possibly but I still think they'll do consoles for a while

I personally think it will be MS that puts their service(gamepass) everywhere and stops consoles once they get gamepass to where they want it to be.

the-pi-guy

C'mon guys, Sony is gonna be fine.

I think they're going to bulk up.  I don't know if they'll buy a publisher, but I think they might do their own thing, and start buying up studios.

nnodley

C'mon guys, Sony is gonna be fine.

I think they're going to bulk up.  I don't know if they'll buy a publisher, but I think they might do their own thing, and start buying up studios.
heh yeah theres no way sony is going anywhere in the console space/first party exclusive department for a long while.  For all we know this MS buy could blow back in their face big time.

Legend

I never thought Microsoft would drop hardware like Sega did, and I certainly don't expect Sony to either.

IMO though Microsoft has already gone quasi 3rd party. They dropped Windows Store exclusivity and everything comes to Steam. Sony is going down that same road but at least for now Steam is very minor part of their business.

Gamepass is the opposite of 3rd party as long as Sony/Valve/Nintendo aren't getting a cut.

kitler53

playstation would never allow gamepass on their hardware because they wouldn't get any of the revenue.   ergo MS continues to buy up studios until sony has no games other than 1st party.   sony does well enough for the ps5 generation.   ps6 flops and mid-gen sony exits hardware and becomes a third party just like sega over the dreamcast era.

...or sony works out a deal where gamepass comes to playstation and they get something of a cut and MS exits the hardware business to focus on the far more lucrative software business.  

A or B.  ...but much more likely A.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens