Indie vs AAA, which tends to excite you more?

Started by Legend, Jan 07, 2022, 11:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I'm in love with smaller games that don't try to please everybody. What remains of Edith Finch for example is just so good!

nnodley

I still need to finish what remains of edith finch.

I'm fairly split really.  There's just so many AAA games that i get so excited for.  And usually more so than indie games.  There's quite a few indie games I've greatly enjoyed.  As a current indie developer its kind of a weird split enjoying AAA gaming more, but thats the size(or near that size) of games I would like to create at some point with my studio.

kitler53

these days?

neither.  not really hyped for anything anymore. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

On average, AAA. God of War and Elden Ring are the two games this year I'm looking forward to.

I mostly care about genre and quality though.

A good indie turn based RPG is far, far and away more exciting to me than most AAA games.

Legend

I still need to finish what remains of edith finch.

I'm fairly split really.  There's just so many AAA games that i get so excited for.  And usually more so than indie games.  There's quite a few indie games I've greatly enjoyed.  As a current indie developer its kind of a weird split enjoying AAA gaming more, but thats the size(or near that size) of games I would like to create at some point with my studio.
I used to feel like that but there has been such an explosion in what indie games are capable of. A team of 20 can sometimes make what would have been considered AAA just one gen earlier. So many of my massive game concepts from ~2013 are now realistic for small teams.

kitler53

are you hiring?  i have no skills to speak of but i'm highly opinionated and kind of an dog about it...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

I used to feel like that but there has been such an explosion in what indie games are capable of. A team of 20 can sometimes make what would have been considered AAA just one gen earlier. So many of my massive game concepts from ~2013 are now realistic for small teams.
I guess I should say I'm not necessarily wanting AAA budgets. It's more along the lines of I would love to be able to create a mass effect or uncharted level of a game, which is becoming very doable on smaller budgets and smaller teams like you say.   I've got so many cool concepts that I want to create and be able to have the team as a whole get a lot of recognition for them.