I have a good feeling this generation will be better than last gen

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 15, 2022, 02:15 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

In a lot of ways, I'm a bit disappointed with the PS4's first party support.
It had some of the best games (Bloodborne, God of War, The Last of Us 2) I've ever played. The quality was there absolutely.

But there didn't seem to be quite as many.  

It was a long generation, and game development has gotten so much longer. I think a big part of it also is that a lot of first party studios took a lot of time creating new IPs and a lot of time recreating some old ones. It's probably a big factor for why games were better than ever, but it still bugs me.

Sony Bend took ~8 years to make a new IP (without any other games launched), the only game they made last gen.
Sucker Punch took 6 years between game launches.
San Diego started focusing exclusively on MLB, which extra hurts because Modnation Racers was one of my favorite titles during the PS3 gen.
Santa Monica struggled last gen, they created one of the best games last gen, but it was quite a struggle for them to put it out.
Media Molecule almost exclusively worked on Dreams last gen.
Extra controversial, is that I wasn't as big of a fan of Naughty Dog last gen, as I was during the PS3 gen. Uncharted 2, TLOU came out 4 years apart with another game in between, and these are two of my favorite titles to this day.

A few studios got shut down just before or in the earlier years of the PS4 gen.

This next gen, a lot his changing:
- Various studios have multiple projects under ways at the same time.
- Greater push for support studios
- Acquiring productive studios like Insomniac Games (technically towards the end of PS4 gen, but this gen we should see their full strength), Firesprite
- Acquiring more studios like Bluepoint, Housemarque

Legend

I get that, but I worry the same issues will crop up like they always do and the new games will take longer than expected.

Also Guerilla and Sucker Punch started the gen with "safe" sequels that people were hyped for. I expect Forbidden West and Ragnarok to do much much better, but history might repeat itself. Santa Monica at the very least will be done with Norse God of War and Guerilla could give Aloy some time off. Both studios might only have 2 PS5 games.

I worry all the new partners will end up like Ready at Dawn. Great devs but not the big successes we hope for.

I don't know if Sony actually has a greater push for support studios. They might buy more but they used them pretty heavily during PS4.

Insomniac is really the only team I'm confident will work fast haha. They seem to know exactly how to manage different teams and keep projects lean.

kitler53

both of y'all have good points.  

we'll see about horizon taking time off.  i'm just as worried it will go the other way and all we'll get id horizon until the franchise is tire.  forbiddden west isn't even out yet and call of the mountain is already announce.  

i think games will still be far between like last gen. just look how long NDs mp game is taking. they have more studios but they are also taking time to port everything to pc and psvr2 will need support too. 

i could see thing going either way really.  i'll just call it a win if MM actually makes a gam instead of an engine and asobie has something thats not astobot 2. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Well PS4 still is getting GT7, God of war and Horizon forbidden west.

All in all, I think they had a very good gen, but PS3 gen was better due to nature of development and how shorter dev time was.

But also, God of war 2018 was longer than Ascension and Gow 3 put together.  Uncharted LG was about as long as a main title uncharted game.

But right off the bat we are getting very good PS5 games. Ratchet, miles morales, retournal and now coming up is horizon, gow, and GT7. If sony can keep it up it will definitely be better than PS4 gen.

I do think PS4 gen had some underrated games like infamous second son, the order, and until dawn though

the-pi-guy

Jan 15, 2022, 02:06 PM Last Edit: Jan 15, 2022, 04:21 PM by the-pi-guy
I feel like Firesprite is not being set up for success, but rather variety. And I hope that's not a bad thing. I feel like they are being given lots of smaller projects that aren't expected to be great.

I think GG is going to go the route of expanding the Horizon world to start including other characters. I bet we will see a Horizon 3 this gen without Aloy.  I think chances are good they will make 3 games this gen.

To be honest, 2 games from Santa Monica would kind of be an improvement compared to last gen. But that's because I'm counting Ragnarok as PS5.

San Diego won't get any better, I've accepted that. 

Sucker Punch, I expect will make a Ghost 2 and 3 this gen. And that could be good.

kitler53

cross gen games are hard to categorize.   is forbidden west count in the PS4 gen or PS5?   I will not credit it to both when discussing who had the better gen.

personally I'll say the are ps5 because PS5 is out.  as such,.. PS4 was all in all a pretty bad generation.  even though GoW is reigning champ for best game ever created as a whole there just wasn't a lot.

these were just bad
knack
knack 2
gravity rush 2

personally I'd say these were good but overall disappointing:
uncharted 4
second son
order 1886
days gone
dreams
driveclub
killzone shadow fall
the last guardian

these were the greats
spider man
horizon
GoW
lost legacy
GoT
until dawn
last of us 2
GT sport

far to much of Sony's line up was ports or remasters
ratchet and clank
shadow of the colossus
last of us
GoW III
Uncharted collection
tearaway unfolded
medEvil
pixel junk shooter
wipeout collection

and then a good part of Sony's line up is discounted as it was psvr exclusive
astro bot
iron man
rigs

and finally Sony didn't get a single hit out of there AA content.  they are too many to list but not one went viral like journey, flower, fat princess, pixel junk did on PS3.

I still really like the PS4 generation but looking back when I list why I loved PS3 I list a lot of games.  when I list why I loved PS4 I have a couple games but mostly it was OS feature like game suspension, share play, and screenshots.

so far I can say the same for PS5.  I'm very much enjoying ratchet and clank rift apart but it is the exact same game as it's ever been since PS2 so it's hard to brag about.  ...but dang is it fast to load a game.  load times and BC is the biggest bragging point for both PS5 and Xbox at this point and THE reason to upgrade.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I don't include Horizon FW as a PS4 game. It's 15 months after the PS5 came out. It's solidly in the PS5 gen.

I generally don't include remasters, except if they're high effort. Like Demon's Souls genuinely looks like a PS5 game.

BananaKing

cross gen games are hard to categorize.   is forbidden west count in the PS4 gen or PS5?   I will not credit it to both when discussing who had the better gen.

personally I'll say the are ps5 because PS5 is out.  as such,.. PS4 was all in all a pretty bad generation.  even though GoW is reigning champ for best game ever created as a whole there just wasn't a lot.

these were just bad
knack
knack 2
gravity rush 2

personally I'd say these were good but overall disappointing:
uncharted 4
second son
order 1886
days gone
dreams
driveclub
killzone shadow fall
the last guardian

these were the greats
spider man
horizon
GoW
lost legacy
GoT
until dawn
last of us 2
GT sport

far to much of Sony's line up was ports or remasters
ratchet and clank
shadow of the colossus
last of us
GoW III
Uncharted collection
tearaway unfolded
medEvil
pixel junk shooter
wipeout collection

and then a good part of Sony's line up is discounted as it was psvr exclusive
astro bot
iron man
rigs

and finally Sony didn't get a single hit out of there AA content.  they are too many to list but not one went viral like journey, flower, fat princess, pixel junk did on PS3.

I still really like the PS4 generation but looking back when I list why I loved PS3 I list a lot of games.  when I list why I loved PS4 I have a couple games but mostly it was OS feature like game suspension, share play, and screenshots.

so far I can say the same for PS5.  I'm very much enjoying ratchet and clank rift apart but it is the exact same game as it's ever been since PS2 so it's hard to brag about.  ...but dang is it fast to load a game.  load times and BC is the biggest bragging point for both PS5 and Xbox at this point and THE reason to upgrade.

Generally they count for both. If someone has a PS4 but went for xbox series s/x. They can still play Gow:R, GT7, miles morales, and Horizon.