Sony Group announces Sony Mobility Inc to commercialize electric vehicles

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 05, 2022, 02:55 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Legend

I wonder who the kodaks of the car world will be?

kitler53

as a marketing screenshot it looks nice i guess.

not sure what the hell sony knows about cars though.  i know there is a lot of interest in EV but there are tons of players in it right now and I really don't know why sony would be able to disrupt a ford or toyota or tesla.  g'luck to them but i don't think this ends well for them.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

as a marketing screenshot it looks nice i guess.

not sure what the hell sony knows about cars though.  i know there is a lot of interest in EV but there are tons of players in it right now and I really don't know why sony would be able to disrupt a ford or toyota or tesla.  g'luck to them but i don't think this ends well for them.
They made a concept car 2 years ago, mostly just to show off how diverse their engineering was (like their sensors).

They apparently have a partnership with Manga International, who is a major supplier for Ford, Toyota, Tesla, etc.

kitler53

They made a concept car 2 years ago, mostly just to show off how diverse their engineering was (like their sensors).

They apparently have a partnership with Manga International, who is a major supplier for Ford, Toyota, Tesla, etc.
sure okay.  just saying i'm a sony fan though and though and i cannot imagine every buying a car from sony.  apple is the only not-car company with a dumb enough fanbase to buy a car from them.

BananaKing

sure okay.  just saying i'm a sony fan though and though and i cannot imagine every buying a car from sony.  apple is the only not-car company with a dumb enough fanbase to buy a car from them.
I think if the car is good, it can sell decently. But I dont see them distrubting the market like tesla did, and honestly if I wanna buy a car I'd be waaaaaaaay more trusting on Toyota or Ford or something I known all my life. This could very well bite me in the dog.

kitler53

I think if the car is good, it can sell decently. But I dont see them distrubting the market like tesla did, and honestly if I wanna buy a car I'd be waaaaaaaay more trusting on Toyota or Ford or something I known all my life. This could very well bite me in the dog.
yeah, exactly.  even if good i don't want a manufacture that only dabbles in cars.   they are big investments and cost a lot in upkeep.  last thing in the world i want is for them to cut out after 2 years and leave me with a car that maybe can't be serviced by independent mechanics.  i certainly can't imagine sony building up a presence like toyota to service their cars.  that assurance of support with worth a lot to me.

i cannot envision the senario in which this makes sony money.   sony should focus more on things they could excel at,.. build the cameras and software that all of the cars companies will need to execute on self driving.

the-pi-guy

Legend

kitler53

Tesla is pushing for full steam compatibility in their cars. Will every Sony car have a PS5 in it?
how could they possibly do that?  they'd have no chips left to ship actual ps5's with the current chip shortage that is going to get a hell of a lot worse soon.

Legend

how could they possibly do that?  they'd have no chips left to ship actual ps5's with the current chip shortage that is going to get a hell of a lot worse soon.

If the chip shortage is worse in 2025, I don't want to imagine how bad everything else has become.

kitler53

If the chip shortage is worse in 2025, I don't want to imagine how bad everything else has become.
it will be worse. 

Ukraine is the world's leading exporter of neon which is required to make high purity silicon wafers.   I'd need to re-look up the number but I think they were 40% of the worlds supply.  

chips supply will be severely impacted by the war unless Ukraine wins quickly.  if the war drags on or if Russia wins claiming Ukrainian as their territory we'll be supply constaint for at least 3-4 years.