so your thoughts on the metaverse?

Started by kitler53, Jan 02, 2022, 03:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

so like, what do you think?

I see Soo much news media about the metaverse and many of them read like they have no idea what it is. I see a lot talking about it as if it were just one place. 

but mostly I think the whole concept is pretty much dumb.  I didn't particularly love the ideas of social media when they first emerged but the concepts made sense.  I just don't see it with the metaverse. who's the market for it other than early invester thinking they'll get huge returns in a few years.  

my company is investing a bit in this area but it makes enough sense here.  we deal in high capital and often times dangerous equipment.   the application to training and monitoring has value.  

I do not see the appeal in the consumer space.  am I really going to head to the Nike metaverse to see a pair of shoes on my avatar as a way to decide if I want to buy a pair of shoes?  how is that better than just a 360 image?

am I missing something?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

If i truly understand what they are trying to create, then i think it's absolutely the most horrendous idea i have ever heard of.   Sure there could be some cool application uses for it.

the-pi-guy

I think 95% of it is just following Facebook. If Facebook thinks it's going to be the next big thing, we gotta get into it.

As for what Facebook is advocating for:
Generally it's in the context of AR/VR/MR.

I know those 360 degree AR Amazon try outs kind of do your example, but I've always found them to kind of suck. I suspect that a lot of the money that Facebook is spending is actually about getting those kinds of things to actually work properly.  

But they could still have a benefit in MR, because it wouldn't be an avatar, it could be something you could virtually wear.

kitler53

I'm not sure it's entirely just a "Facebook" thing.  my other hobby these days is investing and investing media is really pumping this hard these days.  I use pumping on purpose because to me that's exactly what it feels like. 

it's like they expect that because a few whales with spent $5 on a cosmetic item in halo that they can get the mass market to spent $500 on a shoe NFT in the metaverse and massive profits will follow...

I kind of like the 360 views on Amazon for some things but it's not even generally applicable.  it's great for something like a alloy statue to see the detail of your potential purchase but doesn't matter at all for a DVD or book or food item. 

the best possible use case is clothes and honestly I just don't know about that either. I've had plenty of clothes the looks amazing but fits like shame on my body.  clothes is, for me, the thing I'm most likely to want to actually go shopping for.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

It just seems like marketing fluff/rebranding. They are working on cool things with oculus but phone like casual use is still a decade+ away imo.