The TV |OT|

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 10, 2021, 01:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

I mean, I could be wrong here but my devs tell me a slightly different story.  

my products thick client has a ton of scaling issues and they tell me they have almost no control to fix it in the application.  apparently starting in windows 8 MS effectively dropped support for win forms.  we'd be slightly better in WPF but windows scales them differently so the protyped mix tech was horrible and the WPF didn't always scale right anyways. 

we're just moving everything to web now and our thick client has a requirement that you can't use windows scaling.   it too fudgy broken. 

for fudges sake my Outlook email is the most broken wrt scaling. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

Local dimming is such a bad feature imo. It's cool but I hate how dependent it is on the scene.

I haven't had time to really use my screen but other than that it seems great. The colors really pop. Need to play a game on it.
Sony had some good local dimming tech that they're bringing back.  I'm actually very interested in it.  If the pixels can change almost as fast as a OLED, this might be the T.V. for me.

the-pi-guy

Sadly your monitor has one of the worst local dimming solutions on the market.

Sony hasn't been doing the best with local dimming. I've generally heard that their local dimming is the best in its class (by number of zones), but they have fewer zones than most of the higher end displays.  The X90J has like half as many zones as a comparable Samsung display that is in the same class.

Mini led looks like it'll change that though.

One thing I will say, between HDR/good local dimming/probably other stuff too, my TV looks pretty good.

On my older TV, the content looks crisp and the colors look okay, but it looks dull.
I don't know if I'd say the difference is worth ~$750 or whatever, but eh.

darkknightkryta

Sadly your monitor has one of the worst local dimming solutions on the market.

Sony hasn't been doing the best with local dimming. I've generally heard that their local dimming is the best in its class (by number of zones), but they have fewer zones than most of the higher end displays.  The X90J has like half as many zones as a comparable Samsung display that is in the same class.

Mini led looks like it'll change that though.

One thing I will say, between HDR/good local dimming/probably other stuff too, my TV looks pretty good.

On my older TV, the content looks crisp and the colors look okay, but it looks dull.
I don't know if I'd say the difference is worth ~$750 or whatever, but eh.
I vaguely recall what it's called, but their backlight tech that they're bringing back is what interests me.  It was good in that one t.v. that they had.  Though it was only in one.

the-pi-guy

I vaguely recall what it's called, but their backlight tech that they're bringing back is what interests me.  It was good in that one t.v. that they had.  Though it was only in one.
Sony Backlight Master Drive I assume is what you're talking about.

Yeah, they're bringing it back with their mini led displays (X95K, Z9K)

darkknightkryta

Sony Backlight Master Drive I assume is what you're talking about.

Yeah, they're bringing it back with their mini led displays (X95K, Z9K)

Yes, this is what has me excited.  Off hand comments on their last T.V. (z9d?) that had it was very impressive.  It looked almost as good as an Oled display.  Coming back with mini led tech makes their backlit T.V. sound really dang good.   Plus it doesn't have that weird blue tint I notice with WRGB Oled displays.

Legend

My mom's tv died :'(

Had an amazing run. 13 years old, used 10 hours a day, and still looked great.

So time to help her find a new one.

the-pi-guy

What's her budget?   :o

My parents have a Toshiba that's 15 years old. Was the first HDTV I ever used. That one still looks good. Honestly looks better than the newer TCL they have.

I think Toshiba used to make better TVs than they do today...

BananaKing

13 years is a long time. Its interesting how TV have the longest lifespan in electronics, even longer than consoles. I think after HD TV released diminishing returns really affected it, like a good HD TV from 10 years ago still displays a really good image  

Legend

What's her budget?   :o

My parents have a Toshiba that's 15 years old. Was the first HDTV I ever used. That one still looks good. Honestly looks better than the newer TCL they have.

I think Toshiba used to make better TVs than they do today...
Don't really have a budget as long as it's a good deal.

This was my first hd tv too.
13 years is a long time. Its interesting how TV have the longest lifespan in electronics, even longer than consoles. I think after HD TV released diminishing returns really affected it, like a good HD TV from 10 years ago still displays a really good image  
I think my parents just need a generic 4k one. They could see 1080p vs 640p or whatever, but I don't think they can see 4k.

My new 4k screen is amazing though. I know youtube 1080p vs 4k alters bitrate, but the difference is huge.

the-pi-guy

The best budget TV is probably the Hisense U6G.  

Or you could go up a bit for the Hisense U7G for full 4K120.  8)

Hisense U7G vs Hisense U6G Side-by-Side TV Comparison - RTINGS.com

Legend

The best budget TV is probably the Hisense U6G.  

Or you could go up a bit for the Hisense U7G for full 4K120.  8)

Hisense U7G vs Hisense U6G Side-by-Side TV Comparison - RTINGS.com
How does that compare to the x90j?

Parents tend to like name brand and 55 inch is maybe good for them.

the-pi-guy

How does that compare to the x90j?

Parents tend to like name brand and 55 inch is maybe good for them.
According to rtings, they're very comparable. Probably not noticeably different.

The U7G is on sale right now for $650 for the 55". (Normally $850).
The X90J is $1050 for the 55" right now.  

If they are more concerned about value, the U7G is an excellent value/much, much better value.  

If they feel more comfortable about the brand, and don't mind spending that much more, I would say I am very happy with the X90J. I would say you can't really go wrong with it.  

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

Seems like the Master Drive T.V.s are only 65inch.  If the QD Oled can get down to 2000 cad for Christmas, I might get one.

Go Up