The TV |OT|

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 10, 2021, 01:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Samsung odyssey pc monitor, the one I posted before.
Oh sorry, misread your comment and thought you were implying you had a 4K TV and a 4K monitor now.

Seems to be that ps5 can only do a specific form of 4k 120 output.
Yeah.
4K 120 (4:2:2 chroma)

Supposedly this will be updated at some point, not sure if that's true.

Legend

Oh sorry, misread your comment and thought you were implying you had a 4K TV and a 4K monitor now.
Yeah.
4K 120 (4:2:2 chroma)

Supposedly this will be updated at some point, not sure if that's true.
TV is only 60 fps so doesn't matter.

I've yet to get my monitor working at 144 hz though so maybe that doesn't matter either lol.

darkknightkryta

I hope Sony makes a mini-LED.  I've noticed a blue tint on their oled everytime I see comparisons with them (I'm assuming LG has a similar issue) and their FALDs.  Their FALD's show white as white.  But their blacks are also not as good.  if rumours are true and Sony's switching to Samsung's oled panels, it'll probably fix the issues, but at the same time, they'll probably be expensive.  Cheaper mini-LED seems like a nice compromise if the prices are right.  All until they figure out micro-LED.

Legend

Local dimming is such a bad feature imo. It's cool but I hate how dependent it is on the scene.

I haven't had time to really use my screen but other than that it seems great. The colors really pop. Need to play a game on it.

the-pi-guy

Local dimming is such a bad feature imo. It's cool but I hate how dependent it is on the scene.

I haven't had time to really use my screen but other than that it seems great. The colors really pop. Need to play a game on it.
Huh interesting

Samsung Odyssey G7 S28AG70 Review - RTINGS.com

The Samsung Odyssey G7 28 has a terrible edge-lit local dimming feature. It only has 8 dimming zones, which are large, and the entire zone turns on when there's a small bright highlight.

As this is an HDMI 2.1 monitor, we also checked to see the compatibility with the Xbox Series X, and the PS5. Everything works as expected on the Xbox, but it's limited to 4k @ 60Hz content from the PS5. Our monitor is on firmware 1002.0, which seems to have this issue, and we read reports that firmware 1004.0 fixes it so you can play 4k games up to 120 fps from the PS5. However, we couldn't update our unit because we found the 1004.0 update on the Samsung UK website, and the UK model has a different model code than our American version. If you bought in the US and you updated the firmware, let us know.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Look, my TV is already outdated!

*Announcement next week*

-Z9K: 8K Mini-LED
-A95K: 4K QD-OLED
-A90K: 4K OLED
-A80K: 4K OLED
-X95K: 4K Mini-LED
-X90K: 4K LED

Seems like the X90K is basically the same as the X90J. 

the-pi-guy

Should have waited for QD-OLED.  :(

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>I&#39;m just kidding, I&#39;d expect it to be stupid expensive at this point.<br>

Legend

Should have waited for QD-OLED.  :(

Spoiler for Hidden:

I'm just kidding, I'd expect it to be stupid expensive at this point.

I'd pay extra to avoid curved lol.

Legend

Totes a tv question...

How do yall feel about display scaling on a 4k pc monitor? My 4k screen is only a couple inches bigger than my old 1080 screen and I'm struggling to find what feels right.

the-pi-guy

It's a little funny to me when I'm watching comparisons about TVs and I'm thinking "hey my monitor looks pretty good here".  ;D

Totes a tv question...

How do yall feel about display scaling on a 4k pc monitor? My 4k screen is only a couple inches bigger than my old 1080 screen and I'm struggling to find what feels right.
Dunno sorry. :(

Legend

It's a little funny to me when I'm watching comparisons about TVs and I'm thinking "hey my monitor looks pretty good here".  ;D

Dunno sorry. :(

175% feels right, but it doesn't always work. Dragging stuff between windows is wonky.

I'm just shocked that pcs are so lacking when it comes to display scaling. Pixel resolution shouldn't affect the user experience in 2022 lol.

nnodley

175% feels right, but it doesn't always work. Dragging stuff between windows is wonky.

I'm just shocked that pcs are so lacking when it comes to display scaling. Pixel resolution shouldn't affect the user experience in 2022 lol.
Yeah for me it seems like 150% or 175% is the best spot.  And yeah it gets real annoying at times dragging between windows.

the-pi-guy

Legend

How to set custom display scaling settings on Windows 10 | Windows Central

You can set a custom scaling setting.
The issue is that the scaling is per program. Quixel Mixer for example ignores scaling by default, but the setting can be toggled. Dragging stuff between screens is wonky because until the program decides to resize, it is either way too large or way too small on the new screen.

Also I wish the scaling affected mouse position when jumping between two screens. My 4k and 1080p screens are essentially the same size yet I can't make them feel seamless like I did before.

Just nitpicks, but still surprising imo since multiple screens and UHD screens have been around for so long.

Go Up