The TV |OT|

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 10, 2021, 01:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I figure it might be a good idea to have a real place to put conversations about televisions in.  

the-pi-guy

@yo pez tell us about your C1.

Legend

I found a 4k hdr tv to use for development. It's nothing fancy.

the-pi-guy

There's been a few things I've been wanting to talk about with regards to TVs.  

So last year's Sony's middle of the mid grade TVs was the X900H, it recently got a VRR update. A lot of people are disappointed that VRR disables local dimming. And the update apparently introduced a stutter.  

Pretty much every TV outside of a couple of LG and Samsung ones has been limited by MediaTek processing chips who has had quite a few issues with HDMI 2.1. It's a big reason why so few TVs have 4 HDMI 2.1 ports.  LG has their own internal chips.  But it's also brought up other limitations, and iirc it's a big reason why there have been issues with 4K 120 Hz Dolby Vision among other features.

The X90J has the same MediaTek chip, but it also has a companion chip that will hopefully make a difference.  

I really like the X90J. I knew full well that VRR might not have ended up happening. But it looks like Sony is making good on their promise.  

Still I really like the TV. The brightness is great and the size is awesome.
But the TV also has great upscaling, and that's a more subtle thing that I've noticed. Movies in 480p look way better than on my 1080p set.  I often have to check to see what resolution the movie actually is.

One of the weirder things for me is seeing how many settings a more high end TV has.

My cheap monitor from 10 years ago: you can adjust the gamma, contrast, and the brightness.  
This TV: do you want to adjust the bias and gain of the color green? Want to adjust the motionflow feature?  

Dr. Pezus

@yo pez tell us about your C1.
I'm really impressed!
It seems great  for games and I've tested it on some netflix stuff (dolby vision included) and I'm blown away. The new Arcane show is a great showpiece for it (based on League of legends)

the-pi-guy

I'm really impressed!
It seems great  for games and I've tested it on some netflix stuff (dolby vision included) and I'm blown away. The new Arcane show is a great showpiece for it (based on League of legends)
Sometimes I kind of feel bad, because LED isn't as good as OLED.

But then I remind myself the C1 costs 50% more than the X90J, here.  :P

darkknightkryta

I'm on a weird fence.  I want Oled, but at the same time, it turns out my x850c (I think) has actually a lot of good tech in it.  Has black frame insertion which I suspected it had, used, but never realized what it was (Have it on max now).  Sony's interpolation is still the best in the game(I had a revelation when I accidently had it on when watching anime), and is apparently better in their older T.V.s as is their upscalers.  Being edge lit, I see a bit of back light on black parts of the screen, but only when I have the lights off.  But on the other hand, the T.V. pulls a rabbit out of its hat and becomes BLACK when its HDR content.  So I would go for an oled for SDR content only apparently.

As far as VRR goes, I hear a lot of manufacturers are having issues with it, as well as LG(Just less so).  It's this weird use case where the majority of T.V. owners would only really benefit from if they have a Series X and yes, PC users, but that's a really small subset.  It just sucks if you want to future proof yourself a bit.  But at the same time, I don't think oleds can future proof themselves.  The organic layer will start dying at some point. This VRR issue makes Sony's LEDs a bad buy.

On another note, I really wish manufacturers figured this motion problem out.  Interpolation is not a solution if I have to turn it off for everything other than 30+fps and it adding 5 frames of input lag.  Figure out black frame insertion for 24fps-59fps content.

the-pi-guy

Do good TVs ruin lesser TVs for anyone? I know a lot of people talk about how they can't go back from OLED.  

I've used some really bad TVs, that I'd rather go without a TV. But it doesn't take a lot for me to be reasonably happy with a TV.  

kitler53

not really. 

I'm watching star trek deep space nine right now.  content is king and technology is easy to forget about after the initial upgrade period. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Do good TVs ruin lesser TVs for anyone? I know a lot of people talk about how they can't go back from OLED.  

I've used some really bad TVs, that I'd rather go without a TV. But it doesn't take a lot for me to be reasonably happy with a TV.  

It's similar to the 60 vs 30 debate for me. 60 objectively is higher quality, but it's not like 30 is bad.

The only thing that actually annoys me a bit is poor contrast during dark scenes. My primary gaming tv is pretty bad at that and the jump from a beautiful day shot to a messy night shot can sometimes pull me out of the experience.

not really.

I'm watching star trek deep space nine right now.  content is king and technology is easy to forget about after the initial upgrade period.

It's really funny though when the opposite happens. I can't remember which game it was but something I played in the past year had really good surround sound and it caught me off guard. I turned around a few times lol.

Legend

Nov 28, 2021, 08:57 PM Last Edit: Nov 29, 2021, 12:36 AM by Legend
Edt: getting a new monitor.

the-pi-guy

Edt: getting a new monitor.
Why did you delete your post?   :'(

Legend

Why did you delete your post?   :'(
I didn't want any late replies to tell me it sucks lol. Put in the order.

nnodley

I didn't want any late replies to tell me it sucks lol. Put in the order.
jokes on you, it sucks! lolol

Legend

jokes on you, it sucks! lolol

It was a pain avoiding curved monitors. At large sizes they might be nice but I don't want one sitting 2 feet from my face!

Go Up