PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

kitler53

Jul 28, 2022, 03:31 PM Last Edit: Jul 28, 2022, 03:33 PM by kitler53
ah, nevermind.  i see this isn't sony but rather another company now with playstation branding.   i see they already sell an android version:

https://playbackbone.com/products/backbone-one-android/

...it's just that square, triangle, X, and circle appear as X, Y, A, B.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Jul 28, 2022, 03:32 PM Last Edit: Jul 28, 2022, 03:36 PM by the-pi-guy
wow.   soo...

1. vita is definitely dead now.  clearly sony's strategy is to lean into mobile games and remote play

2. is realize that iphone is the market leader and very standard but is there any reason i couldn't use this on my android phone or ipad?   i guess with ipad maybe the controller is not big enough.   android is what i have though and it would be a shame (to me) to not have any support for android.

currently i just pack my controller with my ipad when i'm on vacation.   works well enough syching the controller via blue tooth but this looks much easier and faster to get up and running.
I guess this is more of a licensed product though. Seems like it'll be pricey.

They sell an android one without PlayStation symbols
Android Gaming Controller | Backbone

kitler53

yeah, i saw it already.   ;)

i'll bed the android version with playstation branding will happen eventually.  $100 isn't horrible but probably more than i want to spend right now.   i don't outside my house often enough to make it worth it.  

i kind of wish this was just made by sony.  i'll bet they'd have a better build quality and direct integration with the playstation app.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

tech geeks geeking out about tech?!?    get-out-of-here.....

the-pi-guy

Sony to Launch New PlayStation 5 With a Detachable Disc Drive, Sources Suggest - Insider Gaming

Apparently Sony is going to make a new PS5 model with a detachable disc drive.

The console, currently named the D chassis PlayStation 5, will have almost identical hardware to the existing consoles already on the market.

The most surprising new feature of the new this new PS5 though, is that the console will have a detachable disk drive. The detachable disc drive will be connected to the PlayStation 5 using an extra USB-C port on the back of the console.
It's understood that this new PlayStation 5 console will be sold on its own, or, in a bundle with the detachable disc drive. It's also understood that the disc drives can also be purchased separately, so, if it gets busted, there's no need to buy an entirely new console.

Sources have implied that although the new detachable disc drive is portable, it will not ruin the aesthetics of the console and will attach to it without looking external, presumably meaning the new PlayStation 5 will look similar to the existing model.

BananaKing

I hope its a much smaller PS5. I also hope they do a pro, but with the price hike I really doubt It would happen  next year

Legend

I assume this is replacing the current models and will be the only option going forward. Otherwise what's the point?

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

It feels a bit strange. Sony has been ramping up PSVR2 marketing the past couple weeks.
Got a decent sized VR announcement (Firewall is pretty well liked by PSVR users).
Got the first hands on impressions.
Now we have a lengthy two minute ad.  

And yet we have few Sony backed games for it, no price or set release date yet.  

Feels a bit odd to me.

kitler53

simple.

horizon is the only game in development for it by Sony. 

the-pi-guy

abR08C.gif

Stole this from Era's Modiz

Is this supposed to be reminiscent of a game?

BananaKing

How big would it be for PSVR if destiny became VR compatible or they releases some VR content?

the-pi-guy

How big would it be for PSVR if destiny became VR compatible or they releases some VR content?
It's not something I've ever thought about.
It would be an unexpected bonus from the Bungie acquisition if that were to happen.

Go Up