God of War |OT| Now on PC

Started by Xevross, Apr 11, 2018, 05:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I'm glad this is a great port. How does it compare to Horizon, Death Stranding, and Days Gone?
tl;dr:

God of War might be the best port.
God of War > Death Stranding > Days Gone >>> Horizon

Death Stranding was a great port.

Horizon wasn't a good port. Had tons of issues at launch. A lot of them got fixed, so I think it's decent today.

In the wake of Kojima Productions' generally excellent Death Stranding PC port, expectations were sky-high for Horizon's PC conversion. With that in mind, it's both baffling and extremely disappointing to see the port fall so far short of expectations.
Digital Foundry

Days Gone was a good port.

While we're not getting the ultimate package here - there's no ray tracing and disappointingly, no DLSS - there's no doubt that this is a solid, impressive port.
Digital Foundry

God of War on PC is a simply sensational port
Digital Foundry

the-pi-guy

kitler53

- pissed off console owners
- the best place to play ps games is not on ps damaging their hardware appeal. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Personally I'm at the stage where I'm thrilled to watch PC owners see what they are missing.

Well, I doubt the vast majority of PS owners will care enough to get a PC.

But, this is a bit disappointing for sure.

BananaKing

I agree with you that this is a bad thing for their long term strategy.

But if they keep releasing games that are more than a couple of years old, then I think minimal damage will happen.

I wonder how much sales these games are doing. Rumor has it Horizon and Days gone are between 1-2 million? If so, is it really worth releasing these games on PC?

the-pi-guy

But if they keep releasing games that are more than a couple of years old, then I think minimal damage will happen.
I don't think the end result will matter.
I don't think the PC and console markets overlap that much.
I wonder how much sales these games are doing. Rumor has it Horizon and Days gone are between 1-2 million? If so, is it really worth releasing these games on PC?
These ports are very low budget. The God of War port was done by 4 people over 2 years.

Legend

I don't think the end result will matter.
I don't think the PC and console markets overlap that much. These ports are very low budget. The God of War port was done by 4 people over 2 years.

Is that confirmed? They talked about having to make new animations for ultrawide support.

the-pi-guy

Is that confirmed? They talked about having to make new animations for ultrawide support.
How God of War was brought from PlayStation to PC • Eurogamer.net

Digital Foundry: When did the porting process begin? And who is working on it, Sony Santa Monica, as well as Jetpack?

Matt DeWald: So, we've actually been working on this for a while, but it started kind of slow to begin with. It just started as like, "Hey, can we even do this? Do we have the technical expertise? How do we work together? blah, blah, blah." So, there's a lot of interstitial work that needs to happen just to figure that out. It's probably been about two years of total work, but with a very small crew - there's a team of four at Jetpack that have been doing the primary engineering efforts. And they're almost all engineering efforts, there's been a little bit of assistance from internal, just where things are, "Hey, how does this work? Where is this thing placed?" and then internal Santa Monica, myself leading the project from a production standpoint, but then mostly, it's just QA support, and then tapping different individuals to help fix bugs that may have existed on PC. So, it's a very small team that we've tried to produce this with. Keep it lean and mean.

Legend

kitler53

I think there is a lot more overlap then you think.  and it's a mind share thing.  ps has no exclusives... I can just buy them on PC... 

I mean really,.. with the console like experience that valve deck is offering why shouldn't I just migrate there where I can play all ps all Ms and all of PC exclusive games.  like seriously,.. i'm reconsidering my PS5 already and feeling quite likely to not get a ps6.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I think you meant to quote me.

Speaking as someone who now has a great PC, I still prefer consoles. Ease of experience is huge.

Steam Deck could be the game changer.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Replaying God of War.

I think I saw my first bug?
I am sure there was another one that I've forgotten.

Boy got stuck. :(

Legend

Replaying God of War.

I think I saw my first bug?
I am sure there was another one that I've forgotten.

Boy got stuck. :(
I spent a long time trying to glitch boy but I don't think I ever succeeded. Did manage to make him reliably teleport though.

Also I found another God of War bug!

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>This is the review thread, our OT was <a href="https://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ddbaaf102bc0477e088238b73e1553e7&amp;topic=6212.0" class="bbc_link">https://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=6212.0</a><br><br>Does not matter since the game is so old.<br>

the-pi-guy

Go Up