The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I really want psvr2 on pc. Would make it easy to justify the price.

kitler53

I really want psvr2 on pc. Would make it easy to justify the price.
Same, i have a hard time justifying it when it only works for games on ps.  

If it was working on pc i could play pc vr games and have access to multimedia capabilities.  That would make it an easy purchase to justify. 

Legend

Disney eliminates metaverse division, fired 50 people

I'm amazed so many companies just jumped onto the "metaverse" without critical thinking.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

https://vrscout.com/news/sonys-new-3d-display-doesnt-require-any-glasses/

Sony putting it's eye tracking to use here if I'm guessing right.  

the-pi-guy

John Carmack

If the VR experience - about how tedious it was to start, or how much glitchiness there was there, or the limited availability of the things you wanted to do - if that was on your phone… What would your phone be like if you had to set up and acknowledge guardian every time that you started it up? If you had to wait for your controllers to wake up before you could start doing inputs there? So getting to that point, not just light and cheap, but it should also be instant. You should just be able to like pull it up and put it on your head to just glance over there to look at something as easily as you would look at your watch.

I think that level of feedback and the lack of latency is critically important, but then it needs to just be able to actually do all of the things that people want to do. I keep saying how VR needs to displace all of these other devices. For the early adopters, the people that are at that bleeding edge - they buy everything. You get a VR headset in addition to your second, third, fourth TV and your tablet and your Chromebook and all of these things. But to get to the whole world it needs to replace those things. It needs to go ahead and say, well, if you buy the VR headset, you don't need to buy this Chromebook. You can just attach a keyboard to it. You don't need to buy this extra TV, you've got your big screen theater there. You don't need this tablet, this is gonna be able to run the Android apps directly there. And the super frustrating thing is like all of that's just right there for us. It's just a matter of doing it… We just need to go do it. The programmers just need to do this instead of that. So I'm still very bullish on it's going to happen, that the value of head mounted displays is extremely large.

They can be cheaper than cell phones in some ways. They can have all of these abilities while providing the big screen value. They can have the unique advantage of virtual reality with the spatial movement and the hand tracking and the things that we're doing with that while subsuming all of these other things, I still think it's a great bet, and it's Meta's to lose at this point.

the-pi-guy

Apr 06, 2023, 02:58 AM Last Edit: Apr 06, 2023, 03:01 AM by the-pi-guy
I think there are a lot of hardware challenged right now that VR needs to solve before it becomes widespread.
A lot of issues that still exist that add friction or lower the quality of the experience.

But even more baffling than that for me, is that there are plenty of applications that could be done right now that aren't. Meta is happy to burn a billions of dollars for VR and yet their software is frequently missing basic features.

Disney eliminates metaverse division, fired 50 people

I'm amazed so many companies just jumped onto the "metaverse" without critical thinking.
I wanted to comment on this. 

It's wild to me how many companies made experiences for VR. So many experiences that exist and yet many of them are short lived. 

the-pi-guy

Jun 01, 2023, 05:36 PM Last Edit: Jun 01, 2023, 05:40 PM by the-pi-guy

Oooh cool coming to PSVR2 as well.

the-pi-guy

Legend

It's this generations AC Liberty!

Legend

I really like that right hand controller. It's like a mouse for vr.

Legend

kitler53

so will VR ever take off?

is there at "next Gen" thing that can be added to make more people care?

I loved my time with psvr but not at all compelled to come back.  

Legend

Feb 09, 2024, 12:50 AM Last Edit: Feb 09, 2024, 01:05 AM by Legend
I haven't played VR in years but I think locomotion is the big problem slowing down adoption. Stationary/room scale games feel like a holodeck but every locomotion method still feels like a temporary solution until something better comes along.

Also vr just looks lame in 2d. I pulled up the first assassins' creed lets play on youtube and this guy is really having to put in a lot of "personality" to make it look interesting.

Go Up