PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

there is no confirmation that twisted metal is in development.

the important part is everyone knows twisted metal is in development, it is in development hell, has been significantly delayed, and fudge you sony for fudgy up this game.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

There is no confirmation that firesprite took over twisted metal development
There's no confirmation that Twisted Metal is even a thing.

Beaten, this is what I get for writing a post and walking away.

the-pi-guy

Jan 10, 2022, 08:16 PM Last Edit: Jan 10, 2022, 08:40 PM by the-pi-guy
During the PS/PS2/PS3 era, Sony had a few mega studios. Not that the studios themselves were huge, but they made tons of (overwhelmingly A, and no AAA) games.
 Like Japan Studio, London Studio.

In a weird kind of way, it feels like they're trying to push Firesprite to be their new (probably AA, but they'll call them AAA games) mega studio.
Insomniac has always been kind of a mega studio.

If Firesprite is still working on the games listed in their job applications, and if this rumor from PushSquare is true, in a roundabout kind of way, it kind of makes me excited about this upcoming gen. (Would mean they're working on 4 projects.) Big sign of a lot of growth at Sony.

This gen:
- Insomniac Games under Sony's roof
- Sony expanding Firesprite to work on multiple projects
- other acquisitions (Bluepoint, Housemarque)
- Several studios are working on expanding into 2 or more team studios. (Naughty Dog, GG, SMS)
- More investment in support studios (Valkyrie Entertainment, Nixxes)

Not PlayStation studios related, but Sony is also making a bigger push for third party exclusives than they did the last two gens.
They lost Final Fantasy during the PS3 generation. But this gen they seem to be pushing hard to keep it an exclusive on PS5.

kitler53

@the-Pi-guy

personally, i think sony needs a few (or 1 mega studio) that pumps out indie level projects instead of AAA games.  games like journey and echochrome and fat princess have their place.   hell, games like ring fit and brain training and just dance have their place too.   Sony used to believe in a diverse eco system of games and i miss that. 

i said in that other thread that these days i'm not all that excited about any games.  i guess i'm just tired of AAA only being shooters or open world and indies all being pixal art.   i'm over generalizing i know but where the fudge are the crazy different games like super monkey ball, patapoon, katamari damacy, boom blox, flower, echochrome...  we have all this power to do anything and games are more the same then ever.   even though i didn't love the game i have a lot of respect for fall guys specifically for trying something crazy new.

get a studio or two to focus on weird new ideas on a lower budget.   something is bound to go "viral" eventually.   ...and if nothing else you'll have plenty of ps+ filler to release.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

There is no confirmation that firesprite took over twisted metal development
We were informed late last year that Liverpool-based studio Lucid Games had been ejected from a Sony published project, which was handed to a "recently acquired" first-party team, almost certainly Firesprite
Assuming this is accurate, it's almost certainly Firesprite.

BananaKing

@the-Pi-guy

personally, i think sony needs a few (or 1 mega studio) that pumps out indie level projects instead of AAA games.  games like journey and echochrome and fat princess have their place.   hell, games like ring fit and brain training and just dance have their place too.   Sony used to believe in a diverse eco system of games and i miss that.

i said in that other thread that these days i'm not all that excited about any games.  i guess i'm just tired of AAA only being shooters or open world and indies all being pixal art.   i'm over generalizing i know but where the fudge are the crazy different games like super monkey ball, patapoon, katamari damacy, boom blox, flower, echochrome...  we have all this power to do anything and games are more the same then ever.   even though i didn't love the game i have a lot of respect for fall guys specifically for trying something crazy new.

get a studio or two to focus on weird new ideas on a lower budget.   something is bound to go "viral" eventually.   ...and if nothing else you'll have plenty of ps+ filler to release.
What id love is for these AAA devs to take on smaller projects and release them between the big AAA games. Hollow Knight was created by like 6 people. Have 6 very talented people from GG start a small game, they can alternate between that and their main game and release it sometime between.

Games like hollow knight, Mario party, Mario tennis, bastion, journey, rocket league, gang beasts. These games can actually sell and be very profitable too.

Legend

What id love is for these AAA devs to take on smaller projects and release them between the big AAA games. Hollow Knight was created by like 6 people. Have 6 very talented people from GG start a small game, they can alternate between that and their main game and release it sometime between.

Games like hollow knight, Mario party, Mario tennis, bastion, journey, rocket league, gang beasts. These games can actually sell and be very profitable too.
Like Grounded from Obsidian!

Or Bleeding Edge from Ninja Theory!

the-pi-guy

Jan 12, 2022, 06:24 PM Last Edit: Jan 12, 2022, 06:27 PM by the-pi-guy

Seems as confirmed as it can be, short of Sony announcing anything.

the-pi-guy

Tom suggesting they have a total of 5 games?

BananaKing

I think they have 4 games.

Horizon call of the mountain
Twisted Metal
Dark narrative AAA game
Big multiplayer shooter

If they can pull this off somehow, Firesprite would have been a huge get for Sony. But ik afraid they bit off more than they could chew

the-pi-guy

Jan 12, 2022, 09:24 PM Last Edit: Jan 12, 2022, 09:35 PM by the-pi-guy
I think they have 4 games.

Horizon call of the mountain
Twisted Metal
Dark narrative AAA game
Big multiplayer shooter

If they can pull this off somehow, Firesprite would have been a huge get for Sony. But ik afraid they bit off more than they could chew
Horizon might be done. The game has been in production since at least 2018. (And depending on how involved Guerilla is, it might have been a smaller team.)
And Twisted Metal seems to be a pretty new production. So that one is likely ramping up yet.

Given the size of Firesprite, I think the intention is to effectively have 4 or so projects the size of Returnal/Demon's Souls going at any time. They are also growing fast.

Spoiler for Twisted Metal:
<br>Apparently only started development in October.<br>

Legend

Given the size of Firesprite
Oh wow hadn't realized they have over 200 employees. Yeah that's a sizable studio.

the-pi-guy

Oh wow hadn't realized they have over 200 employees. Yeah that's a sizable studio.
They were 250 when Sony bought them. Then they bought a 15 person studio.
They also usually have ~30-40 openings.

They're basically a 300 person studio.  

the-pi-guy

Firesprite posts about mass hirings very often.

I have a feeling they're going to make a lot of games this gen.

the-pi-guy

They have 100 employees, and opening a second branch.

Sony seems to have a lot of faith in this team.

Go Up