General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

All his ideas focus on the negatives of a sci fi future. It's sad that most sci fi atm is dystopian instead of hopeful like star trek.

I'd really love a sci fi story that shows a seemingly dystopian future but inverts the trope, arguing that present day beliefs are flawed and the "dystopian" future is actually a good thing. Lame example would be a sci fi future where everyone is hooked up to IVs and their brain chip just simulates flavor. At first it'd feel shocking and wrong but if it's genuinely preferred within the future society, who are we to judge? Maybe it's way better for the environment.
I have a story concept, that I might want to write some day. I want to write an everything went right version, and an everything went wrong version.  

nnodley

kitler53

Amazon Buys James Bond Studio MGM for Nearly $9 Billion (Update) - IGN

This is pretty huge
this was heavily rumored though so i'm not surprised.   too bad though,.. i always liked james bond.   shame the franchise is dead now.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Journalism: often times requires a subscription

Propaganda: always free, and always pushed extensively.

BananaKing

High quality Propaganda: often times requires a subscription

Low Quality Propaganda: always free, and always pushed extensively.
Fixed*

Legend

My heart beat is blowing air in my right ear. I can hear every beat like a small rush of air.

This is strange right? Google says it could be something bad, but I'm pretty sure it's just from impacted ear wax I had last week lol.

the-pi-guy

Have you ever seen it where someone like needs to compensate for something by being against a claim outright?

A silly example:
If someone thought X = 10, but then they found out that X is actually only 9, then they respond by insisting that X is actually 0.  

A more concrete example. A lot of people with the PS5 SSD, seem like they needed to respond to it not being the fastest thing ever, by insisting that it isn't fast at all, and if you even say the PS5 is just fast, then you fell for the myth.

Like it's impossible for someone to hold the position that yes the PS5 SSD is fast, even if it's not the fastest thing ever.

I hope my example makes sense.  

kitler53

load times on ps5 is the most impressive part about upgrading to current gen.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

Have you ever seen it where someone like needs to compensate for something by being against a claim outright?

A silly example:
If someone thought X = 10, but then they found out that X is actually only 9, then they respond by insisting that X is actually 0.  

A more concrete example. A lot of people with the PS5 SSD, seem like they needed to respond to it not being the fastest thing ever, by insisting that it isn't fast at all, and if you even say the PS5 is just fast, then you fell for the myth.

Like it's impossible for someone to hold the position that yes the PS5 SSD is fast, even if it's not the fastest thing ever.

I hope my example makes sense.  

The PS5 SSD is impressive. A curious question is, does high end PCs even utilise a super quick SSD like PS5? I say this because games that are built with the PS5 SSD in, tends to perform a fraction of what it could. Does PS5 take an advantage of being a closed system with games built for the PS5 better than games on the PC with a similar spec SSD?

the-pi-guy

The PS5 SSD is impressive. A curious question is, does high end PCs even utilise a super quick SSD like PS5? I say this because games that are built with the PS5 SSD in, tends to perform a fraction of what it could. Does PS5 take an advantage of being a closed system with games built for the PS5 better than games on the PC with a similar spec SSD?
Yes there are high end SSDs on PCs that top out above the PS5's.

And the PS5 has some customizations to make better use of the SSD than a similar PC. But PC has a similar tech coming out.

Games do have to be optimized around the SSD. Hard drives are so slow, that they were pretty much always the limiting factor for load times. They aren't anymore.

the-pi-guy

Does anyone ever think about the fact that movies are encoded in binary.

Your favorite movie, game, song is encoded on a disc as one gigantic number.

Legend

Does anyone ever think about the fact that movies are encoded in binary.

Your favorite movie, game, song is encoded on a disc as one gigantic number.
No never thought about that lol.

Although that could actually be a cool thing to calculate and get upvotes. People love impossibly large numbers.

BananaKing

No never thought about that lol.

Although that could actually be a cool thing to calculate and get upvotes. People love impossibly large numbers.
Do they? People hate math

Legend

Do they? People hate math
People hate doing math, but they love being told math.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=largest+number

Lots of videos with millions of views.

Dr. Pezus

So I got a puppy, finally. And it's a golden retriever! So cute and fun. Only 8 weeks old and he's already pretty heavy (5kg!)

Go Up