Redfall launch trailer, reviews are here!

Started by Legend, Apr 28, 2023, 05:11 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

May 02, 2023, 12:46 AM Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 12:59 AM by Legend
Worse than I originally expected.

Better than I expected after hearing "one of the worst games of the year"
Down to 64 with 35 reviews on opencritic. Going through their list of 2023 games its the worst reviewed game I've heard of.

yeowch.  also haha!
I really hope they go back to their roots, but this is so poor that they might not get another chance. No bueno.

I mean it's not surprising but hey I was trying to be optimistic.  Let's see how starfield turns out as that's the only potential saving grace for Xbox this year at this point

I'll download just to try it
Starfield will be gotg, don't you jinx it!

edt: up to 66 with 39 reviews. It's still jumping around a lot.

kitler53

good enough for gamepass

that feels like the statement for all of Xbox first party these days.  

...and I still think starfield looks boring.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

kitler53

okay, poll time!

redfall is bad....
1. because of MS
2. despite MS

nnodley

likely despite MS since i assume it was in dev before they were bought.

Legend

okay, poll time!

redfall is bad....
1. because of MS
2. despite MS

Zenimax started the game and definitely deserves a lot of blame but Microsoft should have polished it up or cancelled it years ago. How the heck did both this and Infinite get delayed so much yet still release with so many issues?

kitler53

May 02, 2023, 06:12 PM Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 06:20 PM by kitler53
likely despite MS since i assume it was in dev before they were bought.
i mean, MS finalized the acquisition a bit more than 2 years ago.  certainly the game started before MS but MS was around for around 1/2 of the development cycle.   clearly MS was in charge when the decision to release this game was made.   how much of the game (as released) was the original vision or did MS come in post-acquisition and insert their own priorities?  

i don't think we'll ever "know" but it's fun to speculate.  xD

Zenimax started the game and definitely deserves a lot of blame but Microsoft should have polished it up or cancelled it years ago. How the heck did both this and Infinite get delayed so much yet still release with so many issues?
i'm not in game development but i am in software development.  I often talk or think about the triangle of priorities:

this isn't quite the triangle i like because with software "cost" is generally fixed.  aka the size of the team doesn't usually get bigger when we're ask to do more.  management always loves to fix a release date even before talking to development about the feature because they signed a contract with a customer having never talked to the dev team.  so then it's down to negotiating on scope and quality and as you can imagine we always get statements like:

"i'm not asking you to make low quality software.  quality is our #1 priority.   ...but i need this scope on this date so you'll just need to find a creative way to meet those goals."

aka, quality is thrown out the window but they refuse to take the blame for the consequences of their decision.

every.fudgy.release.

Legend

i mean, MS finalized the acquisition a bit more than 2 years ago.  certainly the game started before MS but MS was around for around 1/2 of the development cycle.   clearly MS was in charge when the decision to release this game was made.   how much of the game (as released) was the original vision or did MS come in post-acquisition and insert their own priorities?  

i don't think we'll ever "know" but it's fun to speculate.  xD
i'm not in game development but i am in software development.  I often talk or think about the triangle of priorities:

this isn't quite the triangle i like because with software "cost" is generally fixed.  aka the size of the team doesn't usually get bigger when we're ask to do more.  management always loves to fix a release date even before talking to development about the feature because they signed a contract with a customer having never talked to the dev team.  so then it's down to negotiating on scope and quality and as you can imagine we always get statements like:

"i'm not asking you to make low quality software.  quality is our #1 priority.   ...but i need this scope on this date so you'll just need to find a creative way to meet those goals."

aka, quality is thrown out the window but they refuse to take the blame for the consequences of their decision.

every.fudgy.release.

Infinite wanted to reinvent Halo so it at least had scope ambitions, but Redfall is such a traditional game. On paper it shouldn't have been hard for this studio once 90% of the multiplayer was dropped.

nnodley

Good lord some of the screenshots I've see of the game are horrendous. Looks like an early ps4 gen game

Legend

Good lord some of the screenshots I've see of the game are horrendous. Looks like an early ps4 gen game
I think/hope they are glitches.

r/gaming - Everything in this room is out of proportion! (Redfall)

???
That looks so goofy.

nnodley

I think/hope they are glitches.
I don't know, it's an awful lot of screens people are posting. Some are for sure texture loading issues in a couple of them but this game looks laughably bad. I can't even believe this was released.

Also funny how Xbox fanboys made fun of forspoken and now this is sitting equal with it on Metacritic. Forspoken at least looks better.

I'll get it downloading tonight just to see how it is

Legend

May 03, 2023, 08:14 PM Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 09:08 PM by Legend

You really should watch this if you haven't played the game. It's the most informative video on redfall I've seen.

It's hard to believe this came from Arkane.

edt: also reviews have dropped a bit. Opencritic is 63 and metacritic is 62 for xbox and 58 for pc.

I disliked the game from the moment it was announced but I really didn't expect it to be this bad. Even as of posting this thread I expected it to be fairly successful and just not my cup of tea

nnodley

Waaaaiiiit. No animated cutscenes at all. What in the actual sour apple of a game

SWORDF1SH

May 03, 2023, 09:10 PM Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:19 PM by SWORDF1SH

SWORDF1SH

May 03, 2023, 10:26 PM Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:20 PM by SWORDF1SH
I have a good feeling about this.

Go Up