LTTP Inside, a huddled mass of contradictions

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Apr 15, 2022, 11:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

were they attempting "something greater" though?   its been a long time so maybe i'm just forgetting but i don't remember any significant attempt to tell any deep story.  if anything the game went out of it's way to not say anything much at all.  i just see different "zones" that support the changes to the gameplay.   it's basically no different then asking why does a game transition from forest to desert so abruptly?  ...because its a new level.
The game definitely attempts something greater or uses mystery boxes to sell itself as something greater. For example the lab in the game is actually the fourth lab, and the previous zones are the ruins of the first three.

But here is a quote from a developer that that specifically states it's exactly what I concluded lol. Different devs fought to include their own concepts.

"The idea is still is that people can get whatever interpretation they want. And I know that [in Inside] some of the artists even put in small hints here and there to what they maybe wanted to tell in the story but it's there for you to just basically interpret yourself. What happened? I don't know. We only take two different pieces of logic, and then by putting them together, we create maybe a new sort of logic people can interpret. We had different ways we liked to think about what the game was."

Inside Inside. An exclusive look into the creation of… | by Jeremy Hosking | Medium