The TV |OT|

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 10, 2021, 01:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

darkknightkryta

I'm on a weird fence.  I want Oled, but at the same time, it turns out my x850c (I think) has actually a lot of good tech in it.  Has black frame insertion which I suspected it had, used, but never realized what it was (Have it on max now).  Sony's interpolation is still the best in the game(I had a revelation when I accidently had it on when watching anime), and is apparently better in their older T.V.s as is their upscalers.  Being edge lit, I see a bit of back light on black parts of the screen, but only when I have the lights off.  But on the other hand, the T.V. pulls a rabbit out of its hat and becomes BLACK when its HDR content.  So I would go for an oled for SDR content only apparently.

As far as VRR goes, I hear a lot of manufacturers are having issues with it, as well as LG(Just less so).  It's this weird use case where the majority of T.V. owners would only really benefit from if they have a Series X and yes, PC users, but that's a really small subset.  It just sucks if you want to future proof yourself a bit.  But at the same time, I don't think oleds can future proof themselves.  The organic layer will start dying at some point. This VRR issue makes Sony's LEDs a bad buy.

On another note, I really wish manufacturers figured this motion problem out.  Interpolation is not a solution if I have to turn it off for everything other than 30+fps and it adding 5 frames of input lag.  Figure out black frame insertion for 24fps-59fps content.