PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

kitler53

I don't think anyone is expecting $400 for the regular PS5. PS5 could be $500 and what Sony said would make sense. It would also make a lot of sense if they weren't planning a digital console when they released the first estimate. It did take everyone by surprise in June, which suggests it wasn't in the planning for long. It wouldn't need to be planned for long either since its just PS4 with no disc drive. You wouldn't need much notice to start the production of it.

Perhaps Sony saw the opportunity of the pandemic and the competition of series S and later decided to make the digital edition which would be much cheaper and allow them to double the order of consoles. Just a theory, we don't really know enough about this. What we do know is Sony is making 10 million consoles this year and will want to quickly sell them all. If PS5 is really expensive I don't think they will.
correct me if i'm wrong but i think the 10 million was for the fiscal year,.. so ending in march.  

mayhaps you are right about the digital version thing.  i'd suspect not.  i agree it's not a large turn around time on that but it just seems unlikely to me that it came into existence since the beginning of this year.   psp had a cartridge-less version.  xbox one had a disc-less version.  digital is clearly making huge strides this generation.   if they weren't talking about a disc-less version years ago something is really wrong with sony.   i think the surprise is just more that sony is much, much better at keeping secrets then ms.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens